Alternate Alternian Adventure

Re: Homestuck story idea?

You're still in the beginning of act 5, right?

Later on (here) the cultural significance of a troll's sign is explained and uh, it's not just a random image on your shirt. It's quasi-unique to you and assigned at birth hatching. There's a canonical pool of symbols that the signs are drawn from, and these share the thematic similarities that I mentioned before. Having signs that don't match the pattern is like naming a human character Pzqx.

NintendoQueen said:
How are the shapes and sizes of our symbols on our shirts relevant? Please enlighten me.

The purpose and composition of those symbols is a very important part of life on Alternia. Being picky about them should actually be to a fanfiction#s advantage. The entirety of Homestuck is pretty much all about teensy little details like that. The story forms itself when all those seemingly unimportant details come together in an unexpected way to compose one of the strangest plots ever. That's pretty much what makes Homestuck fascinating, and this is why those details are very important.

---

Hey 2257, how are these for starters?

symbols2.png

Stylized versions of the already existing symbols. I think the two other ones are relatively fine already.

Yeah, those look fine to me.

Not my story though. <_>

(Also, I think you forgot about Lilyan's symbol. But that's probably good already, so no big deal.)

carcinoGeneticist said:
So I know I'm being pushy (and frankly I don't care) but I think these signs are kind of wrong. If you look at the canonical signs (i.e. the zodiac signs)

AradiaMegidoAlive.PNG
TwinArmageddons.png
Nepeta.png

GCc.png
Eightfold.png
Gamzee_Makara.png

They've all got certain design characteristics that they share. That is, they're all heavily stylized images of something relevant to the troll made of uniform-width lines. Your signs

Dreamingdeath.png
NuclearMudwater.png
CreativeGamer.png

index.php
PerplexedPacifist.png
index.php

are relevant, but they aren't stylized, and they don't use uniform width lines. They're basically monochrome images, and it looks odd.
I understand that this is important, but...

What exactly do you want me to change?

You want me to make them all the same width of line and hollow them out?

Dr. Javelin said:
I understand that this is important, but...

What exactly do you want me to change?

You want me to make them all the same width of line and hollow them out?

Yeah, kind of like what Edofenrir posted. Not necessarily those designs, if you'd prefer something different. But the same idea.

Alright, so would my new avatar be more what you're looking for?

I'm trying to go with the theme you mentioned, he has the violet as his primary color and dark green as a secondary.

He also has a couple of other quirks, like the chipped right fang cause I have a chipped tooth in real life.

Actually, I thought your original sign was fine. Vriska has a little arrow on hers too, so it didn't really clash imo. But this is also fine.

I'm not sure I meant you should change anything about the actual troll's design, but I always approve of more capes so ok.

Well, one of your original problems was that some of them were monochromatic so I tried to change that up. But Gamzee is also monochrome, so...

So you just want me to change the symbols on them?

Yeah, I probably didn't phrase that very well. I didn't mean that you should add more colors to your trolls. Sorry.

Can you see what I mean though, about how their signs don't fit with the signs of the canon trolls?

Yeah, I get your meaning.

They need to be simpler, and more uniform.

It does make a lot more sense this way, actually. And it'll be useful as Edo pointed out.

:-X

2257--I am sorry to come at you like that. I didn't mean to get so offensive. Yes like I mentioned I'm only in Act 5, so I don't know that much about the trolls yet...I didn't know that these minute details were so important. I hope you aren't mad at me for being ignorant :P

Oh no, I'm not mad. Don't worry about it, I understand where you were coming from.

That's good. Well, I'm pumped about this story and because of Javelin's story, I am starting Homestuck back up again. (I'm still in Act 5)

I made an image of my fantroll or whatever. He has the Cancer symbol on his shirt, but otherwise seems pretty good. Unless you can live with the Cancer symbol.

mcdtroll.png

I think I may know the answer to this already, but I want the Homestuck experts to give me a clear answer on this matter:

Are trolls able to involve themselves in romantic relationships?

wildestScribest said:
That would be cool, lots of couples.
I know right? I agree, but I am not sure if Trolls can be romantically involved with one another (plus a MALE is writing this story, and they do not usually write about that kind of stuff)
Also, if we GIRLS did, there would definitely be romantic couples and such, am I right, Lily?

Well, seems like Javelin wants this pretty accurate, so I'm sure he won't have that in his story. I was just wondering if Trolls can be couples.

Back