ATTN: College Students

I find it better than Middle Schools, as you only get the stuff you need to do for your studies, instead of having all default stuff.
I, for example, only have to do language (Dutch and English), ITIL, and a couple of programming languages.

It's a lot of damn work, especially if you're dealing with a job and other personal stuff.

Well, I live in a from, at boarding school, but it' sorta like college.
Basically what '3K said

'3K said:
It's a lot of damn work, especially if you're dealing with a job and other personal stuff.

THIS!!

Yes it is a lot more work than high school/middle school. Depending on your major, you will have more projects and reading. Also, there isn't much busy work in the classroom as much as middle/high school. And if you do have a job, it is a lot harder to get things done...
I'm majoring in Early Childhood Education and we do A TON of projects and activities. Like many of you know, I just got done with my flannel board project.

However, the plus side is that it CAN be more fun because you meet SO MANY new people :) I like the people I met in college so much better than those I met in high school and middle school :P

Also, living in a dorm is a totally new experience within itself. I still live at home and I commute to school ( I go to a community college version of Purdue University). My best friend goes to Loyola University in Chicago and she lives in a dorm. Let's just say that dorm life is for some and not for others.

Are colleges really that different in America?
College is a lot easier for me than Middle School was, because I only study on stuff I want to study at.

YamiHoshi.nl said:
Are colleges really that different in America?
College is a lot easier for me than Middle School was, because I only study on stuff I want to study at.
Well I can't speak for every college here in America, but yes I do a lot with my major I am studying, but it is difficult and can be time consuming. My best friend (who is an Accounting major) has a lot of tests and quizzes she has to study for. She also has a lot of group projects she needs to work on. It is more difficult than middle/high school because it is not just busy work and tests anymore. College prepares you for the real world, high school does not. Despite what teachers say in high school, it does not prepare you for the real world at all, because it is a lot different than college/real world.

NintendoQueen said:
'3K said:

THIS!!

Yes it is a lot more work than high school/middle school. Depending on your major, you will have more projects and reading. Also, there isn't much busy work in the classroom as much as middle/high school. And if you do have a job, it is a lot harder to get things done...
I'm majoring in Early Childhood Education and we do A TON of projects and activities. Like many of you know, I just got done with my flannel board project.

However, the plus side is that it CAN be more fun because you meet SO MANY new people :) I like the people I met in college so much better than those I met in high school and middle school :P

Also, living in a dorm is a totally new experience within itself. I still live at home and I commute to school ( I go to a community college version of Purdue University). My best friend goes to Loyola University in Chicago and she lives in a dorm. Let's just say that dorm life is for some and not for others.
Ah, dorms. I've been to Princeton, and apparently their dorms are "large." This scares me... I'm kind of clausterphobic. I'm going to rent a house first chance I get.

New Super Mario said:
Alright, cool

@NQ

Early Children's Educator? That would be an awesome job! Little kids are so cute
Yes! I would love to be a kindergarten teacher. I love little kids too, they are adorable!

NintendoQueen said:
New Super Mario said:
Alright, cool

@NQ

Early Children's Educator? That would be an awesome job! Little kids are so cute
Yes! I would love to be a kindergarten teacher. I love little kids too, they are adorable!
So does my sister... unfortunately, I fail to see how the devil can be adorable. Seriously, some kids can be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very annoying.

>some kids can be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very annoying.

I definitely see what you mean.

But still, for some reason, I just can't get any decent talk at work, if the student or employee is less than 25 years old.
These ones never listen, and if they listen, they're mean as hell.
We also have people at the age of 30-54, and they're a lot easier to speak with, and are a lot nicer.

NintendoQueen said:
Yes young children can be very very very very very annoying! But so can adults and teens!!!!
More annoying in my opinion. You can't give them candy to make them shut up.

I think someday I'll go to college and learn to program and become part of video game development team or something. But that's still four or five years from now.

Dr. Javelin said:
NintendoQueen said:
Yes young children can be very very very very very annoying! But so can adults and teens!!!!
More annoying in my opinion. You can't give them candy to make them shut up.

I have more patience for a 4 year than I do for adults and teenagers--they are the biggest pains in the ass.

@Fawfulfury--Like you said, you have plenty of time to think about it! Hey, I didn't know exactly what I wanted to major in until I was a senior. All throughout middle school and high school, I wanted to be an Interior Designer. Well turns out there are no schools for that around me, so ONE MONTH before I graduated high school, my mom tells me "Arielle, you'd make a great kindergarten teacher" and sure enough, I signed up at my college for Early Childhood Education. I also know so many people who have changed their majors during college, so don't fret if you don't know what you want to do!

New Super Mario said:
NintendoQueen said:
@NSM--What grade are you in now?
7th.

So you have a ways to go! It really is never too late to start thinking about college. You don't have to necessarily have EVERYTHING planned out, but it's nice to see you asking about college at such a young age :)

NintendoQueen said:
New Super Mario said:
NintendoQueen said:
@NSM--What grade are you in now?
7th.

So you have a ways to go! It really is never too late to start thinking about college. You don't have to necessarily have EVERYTHING planned out, but it's nice to see you asking about college at such a young age :)
Yeah, there's so many of choices to choose. I want to do something with Video Games or Technology, but I don't know what my options would be for that. I remember back in second and third grade I wanted to be an Author and I kept little journals called "Jacob's Storys" - with a ys. I sometimes look back at those and laugh at what I wrote about and how I wrote

@NSM--Your stories you wrote in 2nd grade are something you can always treasure! I have books and such I made when I was young, and I laugh now, but they were things I was proud of :)

NintendoQueen said:
@NSM--Your stories you wrote in 2nd grade are something you can always treasure! I have books and such I made when I was young, and I laugh now, but they were things I was proud of :)
I remember some of them. My sister always wrote about our dogs going on adventures and I remember on of our dogs (she's not alive anymore, and she was a dachshund mix) lost her dorito bag in Antarctica and she went after it and fell in the ice for it. Random.

Bump.

Just thought I'd share some insight about college on here (for those of you not in it yet).

College IS a lot different than high school and middle school. If you think school is bad, don't worry, in college all those "Prom Kings" and "Prom Queens" and "Most Likely to be Class Clown" etc etc have NO meaning in college. Where I go, I have met so many new people and befriended more people in my classes now than I have in middle school and high school. In middle school and high school, everyone is so worried about popularity. College isn't like that (depends on where you go). And if you were Mr. or Miss Mega Popular in high school or middle school, you can kiss that goodbye!
They say high school is the best years of your life---Hmm, well, we'll see about that.

I hope this gives some of you a better outlook on what's in store for you. (I can't speak for everybody, I'm sure the college students on this forum have different opinions than I do.)

I'm in year 10, I want to go to colledge then university after.
I have a good idea of what I want to do, Media studies, Journalism, English Language and modern history is what I want to di at colledge. But if I get chosen to do A level maths in year 11 I might finish of the maths corse as it will take 1 year rather than 2..

Back