Advertising Users

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
Okay, this is starting to irk me. There are a bunch of users who come on here with the sole purpose of advertising their business or something they made. Often they make only one post or make one topic about said business/creation and don't do anything else. As I said, this is a bit of a pet peeve for me. Yes, they're not doing anything wrong, I guess, but still... it just bothers me and I wish they'd stop. If you're going to join the forum, please contribute to it.

How long do you allow them to post before you consider them eligible for ban?

buy nabber now, and buy one, get one '3K!

I'd guess most of them don't need to post. They put links to whatever they're advertising, usually, in their signatures and custom titles. Though I may be spectacularly wrong.

Grand Wheelie said:
buy nabber now, and buy one, get one '3K!

I'd guess most of them don't need to post. They put links to whatever they're advertising, usually, in their signatures and custom titles. Though I may be spectacularly wrong.

The ironic thing is that if they never post, they'll never be seen.
But what you said annoys me. This forum has enough users as it is. If you join, post!...
*sigh*

Grand Wheelie said:
I'd guess most of them don't need to post. They put links to whatever they're advertising, usually, in their signatures and custom titles.

That's pretty much the case.

If we're talking about adbots they're banned on site and their posts are deleted.

Spambots, Shyguy, spambots.

That's pretty much the same thing, Yami. -_-

But yeah, those are just spambots/adbots and will be banned as soon as a mod sees them. Don't worry about it.

Is that why the user who joined this morning is no longer a user?

That 'user' is no human user, so talking to it has no use, besides having more work on typing.

Nabber Simpson said:
Is that why the user who joined this morning is no longer a user?

Yes. It was probably a bot, so its account got deleted.

YamiHoshi.nl said:
Spambots, Shyguy, spambots.
No, spambots spam. This topic is about the ones that come on to advertise, i.e. adbots.

Sharks Territory said:
Nabber Simpson said:
I hate capitalism

Telling them to stop won't help since they don't really have feelings. They usually are programmed to post stuff.
I never said I hate capitalism.
Also, there are a few users that are real people, not bots, who join the forum to advertise. For instance:
http://forum.mariowiki.com/index.php?action=profile;u=3994
He/she/it has one topic and don't post anywhere else.
(I hate to rat out...)

Nabber Simpson said:
Sharks Territory said:
Nabber Simpson said:
I hate capitalism

Telling them to stop won't help since they don't really have feelings. They usually are programmed to post stuff.
I never said I hate capitalism.
Also, there are a few users that are real people, not bots, who join the forum to advertise. For instance:
http://forum.mariowiki.com/index.php?action=profile;u=3994
He/she/it has one topic and don't post anywhere else.
(I hate to rat out...)

What proof is there that he/she/it is not a bot?

A bot can say anything the botmaster taught to it.

I actually see 2 aspects that makes Ziggy a bot:
1. It made a whole PR-ish post as a first post ever.
2. It was online for 1 day only, and never returned afterwards.

Nabber Simpson said:
There are a bunch of users who come on here with the sole purpose of advertising their business or something they made.

That's what capitalism is. >__>

Sharks Territory said:
Nabber Simpson said:
There are a bunch of users who come on here with the sole purpose of advertising their business or something they made.
No, capitalism is an economic system which grants free enterprise to anyone who wishes to/can own a business, and there is little to no government control of such spending.

That does not give them the right to just spam advertisements randomly.

Sharks Territory said:
Nabber Simpson said:

But I don't like people changing my quotes that drastically.

Someone called KFC just joined the wiki. This needs to stop.

Back