Are the RPGs canonical?

RPGs: Canonical or not? (no cornflakes option, Uniju)

• Yupperdoodles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I suck because I think that.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Uniju said:
No, their not canon because their not part of the main series.

If you didn't know, the main series consists of all the games which go by the same basic Gameplay design (Platforming), and the basic story lay out of the other Main Series games, which really means just having almost no story whatsoever. The Super Mario Bros. (Includes Super Mario World, as it was Super Mario Bros. 4: Super Mario World in japan) series is the first part of the Main Series, after which, no matter how much you dislike them, DP, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy follow in the Main Series.

Anything other then this, apart from Yoshi's Island, being canon or not is left up to the Player's to decide, as Miyamoto has never been big on stories, and stuff. Which leads to arguments between the people who say eveything is canon, the people who say only the games THEY like are canon, and the people who only thing the Main Series are canon.

Also, I am calm.
Fine, can we agree, that they would class as alternate-canon?

Also, did I EVER say SM64, SMS and SMG weren't canon? In my eyes, any game that has a story is canonical, but, that's just how me and my brother have viewed. Whether it is the correct view or not, I'm not sure. Also, you say that all games have to have the same gameplay to be canon. What about Star Fox Adventures? That copied the gameplay from The Legend of Zelda, which drew away from the Rail Shooter feel of Star Fox. But, Adventures is still considered canon to the Star Fox series, especially since Krystal and Dinosaur Planet later appeared in Star Fox Assault. And, just so you know, Star Fox Adventures borrowed several elements and characters from previous installments, Andross being the main link of this game to Star Fox and Star Fox 64.

But, whatever. I'm about ready to end this argument. =|

Uniju said:
You can't end an argument by not talking, fool.

Also, if any game with a story was canon, Mario would have no time to save Princess Peach because he would be busy plumbing, playing tennis, playing baseball, playing weird soccer, playing golf, and doing a bunch of other crap. That would also mean that games like remakes are canon, which they are obviously not. Like I said, only Main Series games should be considered canon, because if you include spin-offs, Mario would spend all his time playing sports and saving tiny little toys of himself, and when Princess Peach gets kidnapped, what happens to his toy company? He can't just leave it there. Also, games like Yoshi's Island DS should not be canon, because (from what I know) they include time travel, which ALWAYS causes major plot holes.
The Spin-off series have never had story plots as the main part of the game, you know. The story is an optional challenge to unlock more characters, most of the time. And since Remakes are simply retelling a previous story, it is just leeching off those, with changes that are too confusing. I never considered remakes official canon, cos' they are simply retelling a previous story. Also, you never answered my question relating to the Star Fox series.

Uniju said:
Without the story mode, a game is no fun, as it doesn't include the actual main game.
So you're saying that every Mario Kart sucks.

All Sports games and such don't have stories as their main focus. The main focus of the games is the Exhibition modes, most of the time. And games like Mario Kart and Mario & Sonic don't even have stories. Instead, they have tournaments and such, which can't be counted as a story plot. Also, why no answering of the Star Fox question!? D=

It really depends, one reason i find it hard to place them in canon is because Bowser is evil and badass in tha main games while he's mainly comic-relief in the RPG's. Though the first Paper Mario did a good job of balancing the both personas.

Back