When will the DS discontinue?

It has to happen sometime, although preferably not anytime soon, given the fact that non-3DS owners will be stuck playing old DS games.

Define "discontinue". Do you mean when production of the actual system ceases, or when the last game for it is made, or something different?

When production of the system ceases and no new games are released, although homebrew games may be made.

Oh. I expect sometime around Holidays 2012 for system production, but game production will continue until Jan-Feb. 2013.

The Gameboy Advance also died in 2007, if I'm right, making it 2 years after the DS's launched.
I think the DS would live longer, because Nintendo only released 1 or 2 GBA games after the DS's launch, while the DS already got Pokémon Typing DS, Zelda Four Swords Adventure (DSiWare), Kirby Mass Attack, and a few more I'm missing, and these games were released after 3DS's launch.

When Nintendo says so.

When the 3DS gets really popular and maybe cheaper.

Or the DS game developers give up on their current projects.

Actually, the first of the 3 is right.
Nintendo decides a system is dead or not, not 3rd Party Developers, popularity, or a price tag.

YamiHoshi.nl said:
The Gameboy Advance also died in 2007, if I'm right, making it 2 years after the DS's launched.
The DS was released in 2004.

I think the DS games will last longer than the GBA games. If they make a third Pokemon game for Generation V, it'll have to be on DS. The same would go for any remakes of Ruby or Sapphire. They have to be on DS so you can trade Pokemon. These games are probably not going to come for a couple of years, so the DS will have to stay until then.

>>Mighty the Armadillo
Not in Europe (March 2005), and since I live in Europe and got the European version, I'm looking at that launch date.
Actually, my first non-European console is Nintendo 3DS, so I look at both of their dates.

Back