We're getting off-topic way too much

Yoshiwaker

Star Spirit
I've noticed that recently a lot of threads have been getting off-topic, and usually even after somebody says to get on-topic, it gets off topic again.

[insert obligatory remark]

Yoshiwalker said:
I've noticed that recently a lot of threads have been getting off-topic, and usually even after somebody says to get on-topic, it gets off topic again.

[insert obligatory remark]
I noticed that two

And this is a problem because...?

It's not like people completely derail the topic, as soon as someone posts there with relevant information it usually gets back on track.

Dr. Javelin said:
And this is a problem because...?

It's not like people completely derail the topic, as soon as someone posts there with relevant information it usually gets back on track.

Yeah

Dr. Javelin said:
It's not like people completely derail the topic

Actually, no, it's exactly like this. There are certain people who do it with virtually every topic they post in, and it's really pissing me off. Even when they're asked to get back on topic, they soon find another loophole and derail the thread.

Grand Wheelie said:
Dr. Javelin said:
It's not like people completely derail the topic

Actually, no, it's exactly like this. There are certain people who do it with virtually every topic they post in, and it's really pissing me off. Even when they're asked to get back on topic, they soon find another loophole and derail the thread.
Actually, I was reading this thread and I have to agree with you now.

I agree with this a lot. My TRLW thread is getting way out of hand, going off topic about WWII, and other stuff that has nothing to do with TRLW. I consider it spam now.

I agree. There are certain people who can't stay on a given topic. If you want to talk about Pluto in a topic about Foods, then make a topic about Pluto for all I care.

I think the people that make one word posts such as "Yeah" are a lot worse as it doesn't contribute to the conversation at all and is a waste of space.

Baby Luigi said:
I think the people that make one word posts such as "Yeah" are a lot worse as it doesn't contribute to the conversation at all and is a waste of space.

yeah

One word posts altogether are kind of a waste of space. Like "Haha" "lol" "indeed" "ok" "this" etc.

Oh god I hate when people do that too.

'3K said:
Or when people quote a post without adding anything in addition.

Yoshiwalker said:
>getting off-topic in a thread about being off-topic too much

That is technically on-topic because those one letter posts are so little in detail they might as well be about something else that does not pertain to the topic.

Well, it's falls in the same category as one word posting. I don't think it's against the rules, but it's highly discouraged.

Same thing happens in real life conversations as well, but nobody blames this.
I know it's annoying that you suddenly start talking about going in bath, while you're in a Nintendo 3DS thread, but I don't think it's a problem if there's some kind of connection to the thread.

Of course it's annoying if you it's like "Well, the 3DS works great!" "Yeah, but how much did it cost?" "I'm going in bath!".
But stuff like "The 3DS works great!" "I've got the blue one, it looks like water." "Speaking of water, I don't want to take it in bath.", that's a different story.

What actually annoys a lot more is, posts without any useful content at all.
I mean stuff like "^ this", "ok", "yeah!", etc.

Baby Luigi said:
I Can't stand that!
A few times is alright but when people post "lol" and "Yeah" all the time it's so annoying

YamiHoshi.nl said:
Same thing happens in real life conversations as well, but nobody blames this.
I know it's annoying that you suddenly start talking about going in bath, while you're in a Nintendo 3DS thread, but I don't think it's a problem if there's some kind of connection to the thread.

Of course it's annoying if you it's like "Well, the 3DS works great!" "Yeah, but how much did it cost?" "I'm going in bath!".
But stuff like "The 3DS works great!" "I've got the blue one, it looks like water." "Speaking of water, I don't want to take it in bath.", that's a different story.

What actually annoys a lot more is, posts without any useful content at all.
I mean stuff like "^ this", "ok", "yeah!", etc.

But real life conversations aren't really impacted by it too much. But in the forum, all of the nonsense posts stay for everyone else to see as well as blocking other conversations and pushing them back into obscurity. It's even gotten to the point where I feel that whenever I make comments like "get back on topic, please", that I'm actually going off-topic as well, since as soon as 1 person makes a statement about getting back on topic, a dozen or so other people join in with the "hurpadurp we're off-topic" and then all of a sudden people are quoting it like:
hurpadurp we're off-topic
^

Summary statement: this entire issue is ass

Lumpy Space Princess said:
Baby Luigi said:
I Can't stand that!
A few times is alright but when people post "lol" and "Yeah" all the time it's so annoying
Yeah.

>:D

Sorry for doing that kind of

stuff,because i know im one of them people that do that ''lol'' and ''yeah'' also ''okay'' :-\

Well, I suggest that you would restrain yourself. Because now you know that one word posts are off-topic and distracting.

Back