Debate topic: What is truth and what isn't

This is a debate topic over what theories and explanations are true and which are not true. This is not a bashing of people's beliefs, this is a rational disscussion and lets keep it that way.

I personally believe that some sort of superpowered entity did something to create the universe, most likely God. I mean, it couldn't have just happened out of nowhere.

Here's another take on the situation:

I believe in a mixture of science and religon when it comes to the universe's creation. I do believe that the Big Bang was the leading cause behind the universe's creation, but I believe some kind of celestial entity was the leading cause behind the Big Bang.

It's hard to apply science to God. The closest explanation I can come up with is that he's a benevolent 4th dimensional person or something.

Time sure is confusing.

I think someone(God) had to have created the universe because everything is so complex, it couldn't be random.

Jack Noir said:
Creationist view: God made it.
Evolutionist view: The Big Bang.
No. Not at all. Creationism and evolutionism apply only to the development of life. A creationist could easily believe in the Big Bang and an evolutionist could easily believe in a divine creation of the universe.

Herr Shyguy said:
Jack Noir said:
No. Not at all. Creationism and evolutionism apply only to the development of life. A creationist could easily believe in the Big Bang and an evolutionist could easily believe in a divine creation of the universe.
Ever so true. Although creationism can also apply to the start of the universe.

Hmm. It's hard to discuss the beginning of everything because of the fact that us humans can't accept the fact that time just stops. If someone says that the universe just happened, then naturally people think "What happened first?".

General bob-omb said:
Herr Shyguy said:
Jack Noir said:
Ever so true. Although creationism can also apply to the start of the universe.
Oh so it does. Never knew that.

Jack Noir said:
Hmm. It's hard to discuss the beginning of everything because of the fact that us humans can't accept the fact that time just stops. If someone says that the universe just happened, then naturally people think "What happened first?".
Of course because we are finite creatures, but we always search for answers, its the way we were made.

I used to spend a lot of my time (ouch, unintended pun) reading about the fourth dimension and spacetime, with stuf like black holes and time paradoxes.

Then I realized that I wasn't really learning much and it didn't really matter anyway.

Jack Noir said:
I used to spend a lot of my time (ouch, unintended pun) reading about the fourth dimension and spacetime, with stuf like black holes and time paradoxes.

Then I realized that I wasn't really learning much and it didn't really matter anyway.
True, considering we are 3rd space and 1st time dimensional we can't understand 4th space, 2nd time or higher. Nor can we even hardly understand ours or less than ours.

General bob-omb said:
Jack Noir said:

True, considering we are 3rd space and 1st time dimensional we can't understand 4th space, 2nd time or higher. Nor can we even hardly understand ours or less than ours.
Actually, I would say that we understand ours pretty well. Much of what religion once explained as "A god did it" is now explained better through science.

Jack Noir said:
Actually, I would say that we understand ours pretty well. Much of what religion once explained as "A god did it" is now explained better through science.
God still created all things but science helps get a grasp of what He did. But we still don't understand the microscopic, astronomical, or even ourselves completely.

General bob-omb said:
centaursTesticle said:
We understand a hell of a lot more than we did 50 years ago.
True, I didn't say we didn't but we still don't understand everything.
General bob-omb said:
Jack Noir said:

You contradict yourself.

Jack Noir said:
You contradict yourself.
How is that a contradiction? We know some things about the universe (more than we did 50 years ago) but compared to everything there is to know about it, what we know is hardly anything.

Actually, we know a great deal about our world. If you look at something and ask why it happens, someone can at least come up with a plausible theory. Usually.

Back