Debate topic: What is truth and what isn't

Stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent.
Hide in plain sight.
Never compromise the Brotherhood.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Anyway, me theory is that God willed himself into existence, which was so awesome that it created the Big Bang. He then created everything on Earth, fell asleep and let evolution handle the rest, occasionally poppin' in to see what we've been doin' with ourselves the last thousand years. The other religious pantheons fall into the story somewhere down the line, as well.

I do not think any god exists. I think we're just another speck in the universe. You can call me an atheist, but I rely on scientific studies rather than stuff written on a book. I think the idea of a god governing or creating something so vast that we cannot imagine the size sounds a bit too preposterous.

I think the Big Bang created the universe, but what came before the Big Bang? What came before that? Could there be multiple Big Bangs?

Look, the universe had to start somehow. What started off the chain of Big Bangs that you speak of?

That's why I tried to understand the 4th dimension, the only logical explanation I could come up with was that somehow our universe was created by another universe, one where time does not apply.

I saw a documentary of multiple explanations for the Big Bang. One of them had two "sheets" of universes or something colliding with each other to create a Big Bang. I agree that the universe had to start sometime, but it may be way earlier than the Big Bang that made the universe we are living in today.

There might be multiple Big Bangs at the same time, creating different universes. We can only see how long light has traveled. There are parts of this universe that happened so long ago that the light has not reached Earth yet.

God was all "dude, what if there were other things like me, but with out any powers?"

And thus he created light, sky, land, veggies, laws and animals. He rested on the seventh day, created a dude with no godly powers, and was like "Woah... I AM good..."

The truth: humans are animals.

Humans shouldn't separate themselves from nature like that. I consider their "artificial" creations to be a part of nature. I think every bit of them is nature. I don't think humans are better than any other animal, either. Each animal has its own traits that we consider to be amazing.

Ornithologist Mario said:
I consider their "artificial" creations to be a part of nature.
Actually, I've thought about that before. Why is it suddenly not nature when WE do it? Coral reefs are nature yet they're made of skeletons and starfish and shit. (Not literally on the last one as far as I know.)

Still, I disagree with a lot of what you said. We have "animal cells" but there's a certain line between self-aware and entirely primitive.

I've seen a lot of videos involving stupid Russians. It often makes me wonder if Russia has more dumb people than any other country.

Mason:Cars are made of metal, right? Isn't metal found in nature? Everything we create has its origins in nature. I agree with you in that part.

I am perfectly fine with your disagreeing with me, but it's just my belief that we humans are not so special as they think. Maybe I'm defining "self-awareness" wrong, but some other animals realize where they are and who they are. Actually, it's the more "intelligent" of the animals, like the corvids, apes, dolphins, etc. that have self-awareness, but still, these discoveries are continuing to make us realize that other animals can be much smarter than we initially thought.

^MnSg: A little off-topic isn't it? And some people (like those loony religious nuts) in the U.S. make me wonder if we're the stupid country, not Russia.

^MnSg: A little off-topic isn't it? And some people (like those loony religious nuts) in the U.S. make me wonder if we're the stupid country, not Russia.

Well this is a debate topic, so I was wondering if a statement like that could be used.

I don't know about the stupid people in Russia. With my liberal beliefs influencing what I say, I think the U.S.A. is unbeatable when it comes to the glut of stupid people. :P

Yeah, I think it can be used, but that was a rather impromptu change in topic.

if you're talking about that shit with keeping a decapitated dog's head alive, I agree I reacted the same way

but it's not fair to blame russia as a whole

Shut the fuck up. Militant atheists can be just as closed-minded, arrogant and insane as religious extremists.

Actually, many Russians are Eastern Orthodox, so what are ye getting at anyway?

Don't "shut the *bleep* up" to me. I didn't say the only stupid people are religious extremists. I don't like extreme people in general.

I don't understand why when I try to contribute to a topic, people just react like this. I thought it was supposed to be a mature discussion, not telling people to "shut the *bleep* up."

Don't "shut the *bleep* up" to me. I didn't say the only stupid people are religious extremists. I don't like extreme people in general.

I don't understand why when I try to contribute to a topic, people just react like this. I thought it was supposed to be a mature discussion, not telling people to "shut the *bleep* up."
Yea guys this is supposed to be a mature discussion not a curse-o-rama(what?). Anyway, If you say that multiple big bangs created the universe, than what was there a nano second before that?

I personally like the whole idea of an infinite cycle of Big Bangs/Big Crunches. Matter can't appear out of nowhere so it makes sense to me that it's just always been there and if you really think about it there's no reason it shouldn't have been there forever.

Remilia Bloody Scarlet said:
Stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent.
Hide in plain sight.
Never compromise the Brotherhood.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Anyway, me theory is that God willed himself into existence, which was so awesome that it created the Big Bang. He then created everything on Earth, fell asleep and let evolution handle the rest, occasionally poppin' in to see what we've been doin' with ourselves the last thousand years. The other religious pantheons fall into the story somewhere down the line, as well.

I pretty much agree with this.

We have the Westboro Baptist Church, Scientologists and Snooki. They aren't exactly an accurate representation of America.

Here's kinda how I think it went:

Some kind of 4th dimentional being (I think of him/her as a scientist, but it could really be anyone) decided to create a universe. So he/she did, creating the Big Bang. You know that episode of DS9 when they make a proto-universe or something? Kinda like that, but on purpose.

The universe that the being created begins growing at a great rate, becoming the size we think of it as today (whatever the heck that is). Life began to evole on several planets. And thus the universe was made.

The Big Bang theory really is quite complex. Maybe a massive explosion occurred, which created a bunch of stars and planets.

Doofenshmirtz Evil said:
Here's kinda how I think it went:

Some kind of 4th dimentional being (I think of him/her as a scientist, but it could really be anyone) decided to create a universe. So he/she did, creating the Big Bang. You know that episode of DS9 when they make a proto-universe or something? Kinda like that, but on purpose.

The universe that the being created begins growing at a great rate, becoming the size we think of it as today (whatever the heck that is). Life began to evole on several planets. And thus the universe was made.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I said.

Herr Shyguy said:
I personally like the whole idea of an infinite cycle of Big Bangs/Big Crunches. Matter can't appear out of nowhere so it makes sense to me that it's just always been there and if you really think about it there's no reason it shouldn't have been there forever.
Actually there is. Have you heard of the second law of thermodynamics? It talks about the increase of entropy(chaos) of the universe as time goes on, by the conversion of useful energy into unuseable heat energy. If every thing is winding down(getting worse), then it had to be wound up at one time, it couldn't be infinite.

Many scientists believe there are 11 dimensions, and I'm sure most of them believe there are at least four. A Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking is a really good book to explain his ideas on this kind of stuff. I won't say what my beliefs are so no one gets their little feelings hurt because I don't agree with them.

I've also seen several documentaries about string theory and M-theory (someone mentioned this theory a few posts back I think), which kind of explain how matter is arranged throughout the universe(s). The M-theory has its own explanation for the Big Bang involving membranes and combining the five superstring theories.

The Big Bang theory itself doesn't actually explain how the universe came into existence, it only describes what happened afterward. It could have been one singularity (a point of zero size and infinite density) that suddenly expanded. Whatever caused it, we still don't know how the singularity came into existence.

Another theory is that the universe has always been here and always will be. This makes much more sense from a religious point of view, as a deity that is unaffected by time or any other dimension could create a universe at no time at all. However, increasing entropy throughout time kind of contradicts this, as I find it hard to imagine negative entropy, which would have to occur at some point if you could go back in time forever.

It's all very complicated and theoretical stuff. You have to be logical-minded and not at the same time.

cuttlefishCuller said:
Many scientists believe there are 11 dimensions, and I'm sure most of them believe there are at least four.
How is it possible to determine how many dimensions there are? We don't even know if time is or isn't the fourth dimension.

After all, it can be manipulated and slowed down (however slightly) by gravity.

Back