Can Town (The Official Homestuck Thread)

Favorite Troll?

• Aradia Megido

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Tavros Nitram

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Sollux Captor

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Karkat Vantas

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Nepeta Leijon

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Kanaya Maryam

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Terezi Pyrope

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Vriska Serket

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Equius Zahhak

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Gamzee Makara

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Eridan Ampora

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Feferi Peixes

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
Thrawn said:
Doctor Walter Bishop said:
good that would make a good point to stop reading and skip over much troll drama
hey, the troll drama was much better than the post-scratch kids drama

mostly because it centers around them killing each other instead
anything is better than teenager drama

Sylveon said:
Thrawn said:
Doctor Walter Bishop said:
good that would make a good point to stop reading and skip over much troll drama
hey, the troll drama was much better than the post-scratch kids drama

mostly because it centers around them killing each other instead
anything is better than teenager drama
This, even though I haven't got there yet.

so far paradox space seems to basically be a collection of hand-picked fancomics

i was kinda hoping for something that'd explore the homestuck-verse more, flesh out characters or something, but nope we're getting gamzee romping around with heads

Paradox Space bump.

I'm liking the current story. It does more with Rose and Jade's friendship than I recall the main comic doing, it provides an interesting look at Prospitan and Dersite culture, it's funny, and best of all it's a Paradox Space comic featuring Rose in a major role that isn't just a one-page "she talks a lot" joke.

It's an anthology series with stories only connected by the universe, which can be read in whatever order. The comic as a whole begins there, but the one I'm talking about begins here.

I didn't realize you had any interest in ham stacking.

problem sleuth's good but the story is even weirder and sillier than homestuck

it never tries to get serious, though, so you never run into parts where you're mad at the story

Been reading since late June / early July, and just finished catching up now ^u^ Soooo good. Likeable characters, clever plot twists and storytelling devices and whatnot, engaging writing, callbacks aplenty, funny and sad parts - the works, in other words. I'm looking forward to the gigaupdate, whenever that comes (and in the meantime, I'm gonna try to put my newfound free time towards being productive with my life again, instead of just compulsively reading more Homestuck *wonk*).

another convert joins the ranks

welcome, sister walkazo

(honestly i've kinda forgotten about homestuck, it's been so long since it updated. i should re-read it when i have the time)

i just find it hard to care about homestuck at this point

honestly, i feel like it's just gone on too long, and it's evolved too much. it felt clever and quirky through act 4, and was smart enough in act 5, but by act 6 it's just too crazy and has too many plot twists to even garner a reaction from me. i remember watching the end of act 4, and going crazy over the fact that they killed off dream jade, thinking it was the most dramatic thing ever. but hussie kills and revives so many characters at this point that it holds no dramatic weight anymore

i've probably said this a billion times already. but i just want it to end already so i can get closure and move on

Cheapening deaths via resurrections is a pet peeve I share, but Homestuck handles it better than most sci-fi and whatnot that I've seen over the years - namely because death and resurrection have been central concepts for a while, with ghosts and dream bubbles and spare lives in the form of dream selves and Godhood and all that jazz being established before most of the bodies start pilling up. It's really only the non-players (the sprites, guardians and chess people) that ever ran the risk of being killed off forever - although I guess now that ghosts can die too, there's some risk for the dead trolls and whatnot, and ya never know, maybe some of the kids will die too now that it'd be more surprising than if they come back again.

It's just that with all of these deaths and plot twists becoming so frequent that they're practically commonplace, it's hard to care about the plot. It doesn't feel like there's any serious consequence to anyone's actions, even if Hussie says there is. A large problem I've had with Act 6 is that they just abandoned Jack Noir, who was the villain for 5 Acts and 2-3 years, simply saying, "he's out of the picture now". Jack was a good villain, but now we're left with Lord English, who has practically no presence in the story beyond Caliborn (and considering how much it's alluded to that he is Lord English, it feels like there's going to be some kind of plot twist that it turns out he's not.)

I guess overall it just feels overlong, with too many characters and plotlines going on. I guess that's why Homestuck's popular in the first place, but there's only so much that I can deal with before the story just gets tiring.

i can't really offer an opinion on it because it's been so long that i've forgotten lots of the mini details that make homestuck so great

right now i just have memories of awesome characters like karkat and jack noir and terezi

It was outright confirmed that Caliborn is Lord English afaik. And Jack's back in the picture as of the events right before the Gigapause - there's actually three of him running around the Alpha kid's section, plus Caliborn's Jack. (Which is good because he is a good character in all iterations.) Lord English is more of a looming evil presence like Sauron, but more hands-on and with his younger version being an actual character.

He'll probably take the English name as a prize after a showdown with Jake, like how he took Calliope's blood colour and big "U"s. The fact that Lord English hit Ms Paint and machine-gunned Hussie personally at least shows he's capable of person-to-person interactions as an adult, so hopefully once we catch up with Caliborn becoming Lord English, we'll see more of his personality continuing on even as he also becomes the ultimate evil parasite that's killing the frog universe system and needs to be defeated by the kids (potentially after another three-year-age-up so that they're also "adults", and the same age as the dead Beforus trolls).

As for plot complexity and cast size complaints, that's really a matter of personal preference. Myself, I like my plots complex and weaving together and I think the core cast of Homestuck is developed and interesting enough to carry the story, but we can agree to disagree on that.

Back