What virus protection program do you have?

• McAfee

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • MalwareBytes

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Norton 360

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Avast

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

UltimatePetey

Go! Magnezone!
What virus protection program do you guys use? I use McAfee.

F-Secure. It's not
SUPER EFFECTIVE
but I don't download to much stuff from Internet, so it's good enough.

Flubber said:
F-Secure. It's not
SUPER EFFECTIVE
but I don't download to much stuff from Internet, so it's good enough.
I dont either, but sometimes webpages have viruses.

Lol at "I don't download".
Watching YouTube video's, looking at webpages, Forums, Wikies, etc. is all downloading to your temporary folders.

But anyway, I use none, as I don't do anything illegal at all.
My oldest customers use Avast 4.8.
My other customers use MalwareBytes.

Here's a list of AV I've used and my personal experiences. I can't list pros/cons, these are just my reasons.
  • Avast: See the bottom of my post. It's decent if you use a custom install.
  • AVG: There was an incident a few years ago where it crashed computers by deleting system files so I don't trust it anymore.
  • Avira: Annoying splash screen whenever you update.
  • COMODO: Sometimes when it thinks an EXE is infected, it asks you to send it to their labs but the check box is greyed out and checked. In other words, it forces you to send them personal information.
  • ClamWin: Low detection rate. I wish I could use it though.
  • McAfee: Memory hog. Gives too many false positives. (Calling things infected when they are not.)
  • Norton: A pain to remove from your computer. Gives too many false positives. (Calling things infected when they are not.)
8R7al.png

That's how I use Avast but only because I usually know what I'm doing.

I remember when my friend's old computer got a virus.
I think he installed some fake antivirus software that turned out to be some sort of malware.

I have absolutely no idea. My dad took care of everything since it's the "family computer," and without looking around a bit I really couldn't tell you. But we must have one; we haven't had a single problem with the computer, let alone viruses.

I use MalwareBytes. It takes almost an hour for the full scan to get done on my computer, but it always gets the job done.

My parents had an extra subscription to Norton sitting around so I'm on that.

Free trial, or free full?

In that case, it wasn't for free.
Actually, every Windows PC you're buying, you pay for a (bulk) Windows license without you knowing that, and I'm sure you've done that for Norton too.
I mean, go to a typical PC shop, ask them for a custom build PC, and they'll give you a specific price.
Now ask to remove Windows 7 from the list, and you'll get the PC 100 Euro's cheaper.

This happened to me at 3 out of 3 shops I've visited.
Don't expect that to happen in a normal shop like Media Markt, they said "we can't, sorry", and that mainly happens with all HP, Siemens, Acer, Asus, Samsung, Dell, Toshiba, whatever PC's.

I have seen the title of this thread for awhile now, but all of a sudden, it looked like it said "What type of protection do you use?" . . . . .

Gary Oak said:
I have seen the title of this thread for awhile now, but all of a sudden, it looked like it said "What type of protection do you use?" . . . . .

Hmm, let's see... Trojan, Durex, Trustex

Back