Mario Kart DS: GCN Mario Circuit made closer to the real thing

YamiHoshi

Nintendo 3DS Developer
Like the half of the world knows Nintendo has used Mario Kart Double Dash's Mario Circuit in Mario Kart DS, to test tracks, and eventually dropped it and never finished it.
For over the years, YamiHoshi.nl's video game hacking department, DSHack.org, has been working to make GCN Mario Circuit perfect, like in terms of making the track really finished.

What we already have
  • Tree's (Spyrosbiggestfan5678, Jimbo390, and MKDS)
  • Goomba's (Spyrosbiggestfan5678, Jimbo390, and MKDS)
  • Chain Chomp, ported from GCN Luigi Circuit (Spyrosbiggestfan5678, Jimbo390, and MKDS)
  • More item boxes (Spyrosbiggestfan5678, Jimbo390, and MKDS)
  • Piranha's (Spyrosbiggestfan5678, Jimbo390, and MKDS)
  • Blue Shell Statues, ported from MKDD (Spyrosbiggestfan5678, Jimbo390, and MKDS)
  • Grass slows you down (Jimbo390)
  • Full circuit intro (MKDS)
  • Full textures (YamiHoshi.nl, aka ヤミホシ)
  • Bottom screen map (first MKDasher, later on by Spyrosbiggestfan5678)
  • Correct course name (Szymbar15 or Super)

What's yet to do
  • Big bottom screen map
  • Correct music
  • Reply/Finish camera

Screenshots
GCNMC-MW-1.png

GCNMC-MW-2.png
GCNMC-MW-3.png

GCNMC-MW-4.png
GCNMC-MW-5.png

GCNMC-MW-6.png
GCNMC-MW-7.png

GCNMC-MW-8.png
GCNMC-MW-9.png

GCNMC-MW-10.png

Thanks both of you, this course is part of Mario Kart CW Project, it's the most complete in the Open-Source version.

Looks great. This should be done in no time.

Not really, as the music is from Figure-8 Circuit, because we've dropped F8C for this course, and we're still looking how to make the music into GCN Luigi Circuit's one, without touching the Nintendo DS version of Mario Circuit.
The big map needs some work too, some photo editing skills is required for it.
The camera's can be done, as soon as MKDS's Course Modifier App works better than it does in its current state, and as soon as I learn some Math.

Why is Wario's mugshot different in the bottom screen?

Also, could you rotate the course on the bottom screen as it appears in Mario Kart Double Dash!!?

Maybe it is beta so it is not programmed to make map of this, if Yami set up bottom screen map, it will show Waluigi pinball or Yoshi circuit

I'm pretty sure a simple rotation shouldn't be a hassle.

>>Ornithologist Mario
Wario is like that, because we've swapped some things around.

>>King DDD
If I rotate the map, then carts will go out of their lines, that's why it's drawn like that.
And no, it's neither Waluigi Pinball, nor GCN Yoshi Circuit, as that only happens with Action Replay DS.
This here is a ROM Hack, so it's usually a map from the track where it's replaced on.

YamiHoshi.nl said:
>>Ornithologist Mario
Wario is like that, because we've swapped some things around.

>>King DDD
If I rotate the map, then carts will go out of their lines, that's why it's drawn like that.
And no, it's neither Waluigi Pinball, nor GCN Yoshi Circuit, as that only happens with Action Replay DS.
This here is a ROM Hack, so it's usually a map from the track where it's replaced on.

I know that and can you make custom tracks in MKDS?

Not yet, but one of our DSHack.org members, MKDS, is working on a Course Modifier, which is currently in public Beta.

It's a test track.

These Goomba's are the same ones as on all the other tracks, but it's just taken further away.

Play MKDS and go to time trail and go to course with goombas in it, Mario Circuit and back away from it

Back