I got myself a babysitting job.

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
Starting next week, I'm a babysitter. Any advice? I've never actually babysat any kids before, but I know some of you have at least watched them before. I don't want to make any mistakes.

Hey! I've babysat kids before and as long as you just pay attention to them and be yourself around them, you should be fine! Things to keep in mind:
Make sure they are safe
Please don't just leave them alone and watch TV or w/e else
Play with them--what are they interested in? (depends on the child and how old they are)
You won't make any mistakes, and don't feel under pressure about the whole thing---you'll do just fine!

I hope this helps, Aqua Soul! :)

Thanks, NintendoQueen814.

I'll be babyitting a 2nd grader and kindergartner. I suppose I could give the 2nd grader some homework problems and I don't think a little bit of t.v. would hurt. Not sure what kind of games I should play with them though. I always lose some pieces for my board games.

Well I've only watched my younger autistic brother, and one thing I learned, have the parents take them to the bathroom, before they leave you alone.

Just don't ask what happened after that.

For Games.... I don't know. My little brother just sits and plays on his Ipad the whole time

I think I have a good idea what happened.

To keep the kindergartner occupied, I could let them watch my Super Mario Bros. 3 DVDs.

Still not sure what to do otherwise.

Oh! Those are good ages right there! Well, what I meant with the TV thing was that you shouldn't just be watching TV and letting the kids do whatever! haha But yeah I think you will do just fine :) And LMAO about you always losing your pieces to your games! Well, when I babysit, we would go outside on the playground or on the trampoline, or whatever! And watching movies with them would also be fun! Keep in mind: Have fun!! ;)

Aqua Soul said:
I think I have a good idea what happened.

To keep the kindergartner occupied, I could let them watch my Super Mario Bros. 3 DVDs.

Still not sure what to do otherwise.

Plus, you just have to go with the flow. Kids will want to do many different things, so you gotta be flexible with them!

Okay, thanks again NintendoQueen!

Oh, and another little tip; it's okay to double post in the "Post Here, Click Here" thread, but it's discouraged in other threads. If you want to change your previous post, you can use the modify button.

Aqua Soul said:
Okay, thanks again NintendoQueen!

Oh, and another little tip; it's okay to double post in the "Post Here, Click Here" thread, but it's discouraged in other threads. If you want to change your previous post, you can use the modify button.

Thanks for the tip! See? I am so new to using forums! :lol:

Aqua Soul said:
It's okay, we were all new at some point. ^_^

Lubba said:
Also, don't feed them food that they can't swallow

Relax. I'm not that irresponsible. Still, what should I let them eat?

Well, I'm sure if you ask the parents also, they will let you know what their children can eat. And don't be afraid to ask the parents the questions you are asking us! :)

Babysitting job, eh? I've never actually babysat before, since I'm only 13, but tips I always hear is keep your eye on them every now and then and don't let them wreck the house, obviously :P And DVDs are a great way to keep kids that age occupied.

I've only ...babysatten... a couple of times and it was fun I guess. I barely recommend anything in this thread though. Based on the ages (kindergarten and 2nd grade) you should actively involve yourself with them the whole time and organize fun things. Even if they need their own space, keep an eye on them and don't text on your cellphone. And don't undermine them. Try to make them like you.

Figment said:
They texted on your cell?
keep an eye on them
and don't text on your cellphone

There's no possible way that sentence can be misconstrued so you don't even deserve the liberty of knowing what I meant unless you can figure it out for yourself.

A good way to occupy kids is by putting on a movie. If you bring some movies over they might want to watch them. That will kill a good two hours.

My last tip is to find something you see they like (and that you know a lot about) and talk about it.

In my experience: "Wow you like Spongebob!?"

Uh...guys. Not sure how to say this, but I may have jumped to conclusions. Turns out I'll only be a babysitter if their parents can't find anyone else available. :[

But thanks for the advice! ;D

Mason said:
My last tip is to find something you see they like (and that you know a lot about) and talk about it.

In my experience: "Wow you like Spongebob!?"

Dude, I doubt they're gonna like Sopngebob. They're little kids. The newer episodes are all mediocore. Plus, I'm not so sure it's really appropriate for children anymore (or if it was appropriate in the first place).

I hate how you always lack the capacity to know what an example is.

It didn't have to be Spongebob. It was just an example.

Well, excuse me for being exhausted and normally, I'd like to argue, but doing so isn't worth the time/effort. Good day evening to you sir! :posh:

Back