Suggestions for Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw. ADD!

Would a games board be OK on the forum? We could place RPG threads there as well. Maybe it can be a sub-board of Off-subject Discussion.

Wayoshi said:
Would a games board be OK on the forum? We could place RPG threads there as well. Maybe it can be a sub-board of Off-subject Discussion.
Worthwhile games can go right in off-subject. They don't need their own board. Games that are basically spam are not allowed.

I was wondering if we should make it required to site the source of an image on its image page? Many people have been asking about the new Mario Party 8 images, for example, but the best information I came up with by looking around with was that they're from a thread on Nintendo.com... which doesn't help much, since Nintendo.com requires users to use image hosting web sites or other sites to post images, but the examples don't end there. :) Plus, it would seem nice to share our sources of information with one another to better the Wiki. Plus, we'd be giving credit to fan sites and other minor sites that have rare images. Everybody wins! :lol:

Actually, here's what I did for Google seach... search for this page in the Mario Wiki

Image:Princess_Peach's_Castle_Super_Mario_64.JPG

If that doesn't work, the file name is right, so doing an image search from the image page should work. Otherwise, check the Mushroom Kingdom article, go to "Towns and Castles" section, and click the pic!

I suggest the Mario skin being the default for the forums. I had to specifically select it to get it, and I'm willing to guess a lot of members might not know about it or bothered to look into it.

Oh? Ah well, it didn't for me. Might've been a fluke or something. *shrug*

I looked at the featured article and it looks like your wiki needs some cleaning up. There's some serious bias in the intro paragraph ("stunning," "nifty") and there's a huge section explaining exactly why and how to cheat people out of rightful wins. Anybody with their hands in this work should be ashamed.

cracked said:
I looked at the featured article and it looks like your wiki needs some cleaning up. There's some serious bias in the intro paragraph ("stunning," "nifty") and there's a huge section explaining exactly why and how to cheat people out of rightful wins. Anybody with their hands in this work should be ashamed.
That would be me.

How can people understand the problems of MKDS online if I don't explain how it's done?

I think cracked is just concerned that by reading the article, more people will do it and it'll just exacerbate the problem.

cracked said:

In regards to the "cheating" thing, that has been acknowledged by Nintendo (NOA_Andy in the News section at Nintendo.com, I believe). But the rest of that particular paragraph didn't make sense to me, either. While I think your judgement on the article may be harsh, you make a very important point. VERY IMPORTANT!

This Wiki is full of adverbs and adjectives that destroy its bipartisanship (aka factualality, not based on opinion or view). Obviously, this is understandable since only Mario fans write on this Wiki as far as I know. However, it doesn't make it acceptable. To take the MK:DS article into consideration, rather than using the words "stunning" and "nifty," it would have been better to quote reviewers. There are countless reviews out there that agree with these statements. However, it reviews are cited, the negative aspects of said review should also be noted. If I were to write that article, I would have used IGN.com's review of the game, which was very positive, but also note the difficulties with the game, such as the lackluster online system that did not allow for chatting or directly choosing your opponents. Sound reasonable? It would also be wise to site multiple reviews.

I would place the summary of reviews in their own special section, and use the opening paragraph to briefly overview the game. An example would be to site it's new features and note its positive reivews, asking readers to look below at the special section for reviews.

It's a lot more work, but it'll be worth it!

As a side note, we need to work on removing the word "strangely" as it is used way to often, again, destroys the bipartisanship of the Wiki.

Stumpers said:
cracked said:

In regards to the "cheating" thing, that has been acknowledged by Nintendo (NOA_Andy in the News section at Nintendo.com, I believe). But the rest of that particular paragraph didn't make sense to me, either. While I think your judgement on the article may be harsh, you make a very important point. VERY IMPORTANT!

This Wiki is full of adverbs and adjectives that destroy its bipartisanship (aka factualality, not based on opinion or view). Obviously, this is understandable since only Mario fans write on this Wiki as far as I know. However, it doesn't make it acceptable. To take the MK:DS article into consideration, rather than using the words "stunning" and "nifty," it would have been better to quote reviewers. There are countless reviews out there that agree with these statements. However, it reviews are cited, the negative aspects of said review should also be noted. If I were to write that article, I would have used IGN.com's review of the game, which was very positive, but also note the difficulties with the game, such as the lackluster online system that did not allow for chatting or directly choosing your opponents. Sound reasonable? It would also be wise to site multiple reviews.

I would place the summary of reviews in their own special section, and use the opening paragraph to briefly overview the game. An example would be to site it's new features and note its positive reivews, asking readers to look below at the special section for reviews.

It's a lot more work, but it'll be worth it!

As a side note, we need to work on removing the word "strangely" as it is used way to often, again, destroys the bipartisanship of the Wiki.

Agreed, it makes the articles look better too. I won't go on a hunt for leaning adjectives, neccesarrily, but I'll fix any I come across. I think if we all do that, we'll solve the problem quickly.

3D, you're doing it again. That post was completely unnecessary.

In regards to Stumpers: I agree wholeheartedly. However, I would also like to add that few pages in the wiki have any citations at all. This is a serious issue and needs to be addressed if we are to be taken seriously.

Monty Mole said:
3D, you're doing it again. That post was completely unnecessary.

In regards to Stumpers: I agree wholeheartedly. However, I would also like to add that few pages in the wiki have any citations at all. This is a serious issue and needs to be addressed if we are to be taken seriously.
What I was going to point out - if we're suddenly checking our words for fairness, we're suggesting citing our sources like Wikipedia. I think all the articles in the wiki is unnecessary, but revising most of our major game & character articles might be plausible & benefitable.

3dejong said:
Wow. Stumpers, you take this seriously. :lol:

Indeed... yeah, I tend to go wild. But now you know I care. :P I agree with Wayoshi that the Wiki is too big to recheck every article... but then again the project itself is ambitious, and I think we can curb it somewhat. I've noticed that there's a big problem in the merchandise section, take this one for example:

http://www.mariowiki.com/NSMB_Keychains

It's a good article, the author just comments too much.

Anywho, I'll catch you guys later. I have a crazy week going on right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back