Which Film Version of Willy Wonka do you Prefer?

Which Film Version of Willy Wonka do you Prefer?

• I love both versions the same.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DaisyGaga

Da f***, Rosalina?
Roald Dahl's famous book "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory" has been adapted to a movie twice, and both are quite different. The first version was released in 1971, was directed by Mel Stuart and Gene Wilder stars as Willy Wonka. This version changes "Charlie" in the title to "Willy Wonka." Another version was released in 2005, which was directed by Tim Burton and Johnny Depp stars as Willy Wonka, but this version retains the book's original title.

If you haven't seen the older version, here's the link to the first part. The other parts can be found to the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmgV9pajPNg

I've seen a lot of debates over which version people like better, so I'm curious about your opinions. I prefer the 1971 version. The 2005 version is too dark, but it's a fun twist on a classic. I like it, too, and I usually watch it if I happen to see it on TV. The tunnel scene in the '71 version is creepy as hell though. I heard Roald Dahl hated the '71 version because it was too different from how he wanted it, and he vowed never to watch it.

Oh, and one more thing...

"YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!"

I like the newer one better. And IIRC it's actually closer to the book.

P.S. The tunnel scene creeped me out the first time I saw it 0_0

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (old one)

I hated the new one at first, but it's grown on me. The best part us when the child robot things go up in flames. :D

My favorite is Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory because the Oompa Loompas actually look like Oompa Loompas and they sing to. :D

Personally, I like them both, and it's hard for me to choose. They each have their pros and cons.

I prefer the original's ending more, though, because Willy Wonka tells Charlie he gets to own the factory and let his whole family move in. In the remake, however, he's not allowed to let his family move in to the factory, and instead lives with Willy Wonka, so in turn I find that kind of depressing that he had to leave his family. Effect-wise, the remake was much more surreal than the original, and I like how Tim Burton did the film, with not too much CPU effects in the chocolate waterfall portion in the beginning of the film.

Now the Oompa Loompas' songs I find to be much more groovy in the remake since they had much more instrumentation than the original's, which all followed the same "Oompa loompa oompa-de-do" pattern. So song-wise, I'd say I prefer the remake. I also find it interesting to point out that the Oompa Loompas were played by a bunch of different midgets of different body shapes back in the first film (who were uncredited for reasons I don't understand at all), whereas in the remake they're all the same person, which is really funny since they all look identical.

For the portrayals of Willy Wonka in both films, I think Gene Wilder did an amazing job in the first one and that will always be a memorable acting portrayal by him. Johnny Depp, on the other hand, twisted Gene Wilder's original personality for Willy Wonka, while still keeping some of that deep sarcasm that he had.

So all in all, I find both films very good, and could never put a price on one.

Unfortunately, I have never seen the '71 version all the way through, so I don't really have a point of reference. However, I have seen a good chunk of it, and I do love Gene as Wonka.

My optimal Wonka movie would be the 2005 version with Gene in place of Johnny.

Nega-Man said:
I prefer the original's ending more, though, because Willy Wonka tells Charlie he gets to own the factory and let his whole family move in. In the remake, however, he's not allowed to let his family move in to the factory, and instead lives with Willy Wonka, so in turn I find that kind of depressing that he had to leave his family.
The remake ends with Charlie and his family together in their house, which is inside the factory. So he did get to be with his family.

I've never sat through the whole original version, but from the parts I saw it looks better than the new one. It's a lot more memorable and the oompa loompas are definitely better there.

Hmm. I could have sworn he just lived with Willy Wonka at the end, but I guess they made a deal or something. It's been a while, but I do remember his house being in the factory.

The newer one. It's closer to the book.

But I like 'em both, but the Oompa Loompa song when one of the girls (can't remember the name, the one that chewed the gum) inflated and turned blue drived me bonkers for 2 whole years! I still hate that song.

But I like the newer one better for other reasons too.

Back