Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Rainbow Dash

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Rarity

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
Well I for one am one of those that love it. If this was any other show Derpy would of just been an animation error for a few seconds in the first episode and have it never happen again. No other show has this relationship between the fanbase and those who make the show. This would not have happened if the staff didn't care for the Fandom. It was only a scene that lasted maybe 30 seconds. I'm pretty sure Derpy will go back to Where's Waldo-esque appearences for some more episodes. But that doesn't make this moment any less special.

Though I guess it's a shame it sort of overshadowed the Applejack episode. But there will be more Applejack next week anyway..

Northern Verve said:
Well I for one am one of those that love it. If this was any other show Derpy would of just been an animation error for a few seconds in the first episode and have it never happen again. No other show has this relationship between the fanbase and those who make the show. This would not have happened if the staff didn't care for the Fandom. It was only a scene that lasted maybe 30 seconds. I'm pretty sure Derpy will go back to Where's Waldo-esque appearences for some more episodes. But that doesn't make this moment any less special.

Though I guess it's a shame it sort of overshadowed the Applejack episode. But there will be more Applejack next week anyway..

Indeed, taking a background character and than giving it a bigger role because of fan-popularity, I'm sure that never happened before on television. MLP is so groundbreaking.

I hate how ignorant such a large part of the fanbase is. It's not really a big deal what happened here, but still people treat it like it has never happened before and like it's the greatest and most unique thing ever.

Well, why shouldn't we be happy? So what if it's been done before, it doesn't change the fact that it's cool.

Uh Mijz are you implying that I'm one of those ignorant people?

I know FiM isn't the only one to do this. But I personally find it pretty neat when it does happen anyway. It doesn't happen very often and most of the characters referred to in those TV Tropes articles weren't Background Characters. Shows like The Simpsons and South Park have done it but rarely does it happen in a show nowadays that's supposedly aimed for kids. Derpy may not seem like too much of a big deal but she's the very symbol of the relation between the show's staff and the fandom.

I'm not saying the whole scene was the best thing ever, though it did set the tone for how great this episode was going to be to me. I was just in utter surprise.

Discord said:
Well, why shouldn't we be happy? So what if it's been done before, it doesn't change the fact that it's cool.

Cool, but not enough for every message board to not be able to talk about anything besides Derpy imo.

Northern Verve said:
Uh Mijz are you implying that I'm one of those ignorant people?

I know FiM isn't the only one to do this. But I personally find it pretty neat when it does happen anyway. It doesn't happen very often and most of the characters referred to in those TV Tropes articles weren't Background Characters. Shows like The Simpsons and South Park have done it but rarely does it happen in a show nowadays that's supposedly aimed for kids. Derpy may not seem like too much of a big deal but she's the very symbol of the relation between the show's staff and the fandom.

I'm not saying the whole scene was the best thing ever, though it did set the tone for how great this episode was going to be to me. I was just in utter surprise.

No, the ignorant people are mostly the ones on the comment section of youtube and equestriadaily. And the people who can't stop talking about anything else. The only place I have been able to have a Derpy Free discusion of this episode are a select few topics on Reddit (but definitely not the front page, which is Derpy-ridden), which is annoying me a bit. Sorry if you thought it was all targeted at you 0.0

Does no one else think that the Rarity and Pinkie bit was the best part?
I personally loved it.

Yeah, a background character becoming a major character due to their popularity is nothing new... But how about the reaction?

DerpyVSDitzy-1.png

It's amazing, how broken up a community can get over what used to be the character that pretty much represented them (in a good way). Derpy's popularity is what got her this far in the first place, and yet the fans still complain... I guess her being a background character left her a lot more open to interpretation, and thus, let fans give her personality traits, quirks, or whatever they wanted to their own liking.

But now that they went in one direction, it ruins whatever interpretation they had for Derpy. Oh well.

That said, while I still don't mind the voice they choice, I will say it's a little too deep... Almost masculine at time. I mean, my mom and grandma thought Rainbow Dash was a boy at first, what will they think when they hear Derpy!?

My proposed solution: give Derpy more speaking roles, have Tabitha St. Germain get to know Derpy and "perfect" her voice so that more people will like her!

I think you could still have a lot of interpretations. All she did was speak a few lines and was shown to be clumsy. I thought most fan interpretations even if they portrayed her as a genius still had a little bit of a clumsy side. If there is seriously an uproar about it it sure speaks when we were expecting something like that for Luna but (If it's even that major) it happens for Derpy when it was a complete surprise instead. But maybe that's because everybody was told to keep an open mind in regards to Luna but no one was expecting the Derpy scene in this episode.

Unless you had strong headcanons for whatever her voice was. I don't think it trashed anything.

Also I imagine people will get used to it eventually. The people who go "Ruined FOREVER" just for one scene aren't really fans.

Northern Verve said:
I think you could still have a lot of interpretations. All she did was speak a few lines and was shown to be clumsy. I thought most fan interpretations even if they portrayed her as a genius still had a little bit of a clumsy side. If there is seriously an uproar about it it sure speaks when we were expecting something like that for Luna but (If it's even that major) it happens for Derpy when it was a complete surprise instead. But maybe that's because everybody was told to keep an open mind in regards to Luna but no one was expecting the Derpy scene in this episode.

Unless you had strong headcanons for whatever her voice was. I don't think it trashed anything.

Also I imagine people will get used to it eventually. The people who go "Ruined FOREVER" just for one scene aren't really fans.
Well, that's just it, it's her voice that seems to have gotten on most people's nerves. Like they think it makes her sound "too stupid"... Like, what? As I said before, I do think it was a bit "too deep", but given that this is her first speaking role, it will take a few more lines of spoken dialogue to really nail down the voice.

Personally, I blame this YouTube user (who's actually got some great stuff you should check out), who's made a series of videos with her own Derpy voice, and I think most people just got used to it, kind of like the whole "Luna is Fluttershy 2.0" persona.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BaldDumboRat

Actually, I don't want this to become like the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well fiasco, where the creators of the show get all kinds of negative feedback from what (I believe) is a vocal minority. I know a couple of animators on deviantART, I'm going to tell them that what they did with Derpy is good, and to keep going in that direction.

^I think it's pretty funny that I found out about BaldDumboRat on Friday, the day before the new episode.

And speaking of Derpy deviantART, here's a sreensaver I found.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/01/chimicherrychonga-compilation.html

Looks delicious.

Northern Verve said:
DragonFreak said:
I'm not able to see the new episode. I have a Band Compition all day tomorrow. And it's not on again till a week from now. I could record it....

Do you not have access to Youtube? You can usually find the episodes there.
I do, but my Wireless Internet is not the greatest, so usually with videos over 6 minutes in length, I have to wait 2 minutes for me to watch 30 seconds. Unless of course, the videos are incredibly simple.

@UM: I absolutely love essay questions like that. I say it's a great idea. I did something like that once admitting my obsession with dragons.

Northern Verve said:
'3K said:
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/01/chimicherrychonga-compilation.html

Looks delicious.

You know the fandom is having so much fun when they're making food based on a Pony's instruction in the show

Also I think this is something Nabber will really like
Oh you!
That was hilarious!
Also I did admit to my sister that I was a brony yesterday because she was on the phone with a friend who was apparently being converted by someone else, if I heard correctly. Anyway, she seemed okay with it.

Northern Verve said:
she's the very symbol of the relation between the show's staff and the fandom.
And a major indication that said relation is not a good thing.

i like Fluttershy

Holy crap

JT27G.png

Rarity must of really gave Rainbow Dash the beating of her life...

Now that you've brought it up, what could be bad enough to leave Rainbow Dash in hospital. She's survived transforming robots and Derpy's clumsiness, so you think she'd be invincible!

Calling it now.
It's going to be an awesome episode.
If it isn't, then someone make a bet with me.

Uniju said:
Northern Verve said:
she's the very symbol of the relation between the show's staff and the fandom.
And a major indication that said relation is not a good thing.
Yeah, I see what you mean by that... I like it that shows actually listen to fans and take some of their recommendations to heart, but know that some fans are stupid/irrational, and know not to listen to them all the time...

Then there's the whole "legal" thing of not reading fan fics or anything like that for fear of accidentally stealing ideas.

But when I think of it like that, I can fully understand why the reaction to Derpy's scene caused a huge uproar by fans... Yeesh. :eek:

BTW, I'm not a betting man, I usually stay away from games of chance, but if I were, I'd bet that Cranky Doodle Donkey would be like a mix between Cranky Kong and Oscar the Grouch... I know I said this before, but I feel like repeating it, I actually kind of hope he turns out like Oscar, a character who's happiest when he's grumpy/grouchy, and Pinkie Pie's lesson is basically the lesson Oscar's character in Sesame Street teaches, to accept and respect people for who they are, even if they're not exactly friendly.

Back