Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Rarity

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
Shoutmon said:
Smashgoom202 said:
but I've seen literally NO ONE complaining about Spike, despite being far more blatant in this season more then any other season.

oh, it annoys me too. i dont talk about it about it because im not really in the habit of making long complaints about tv shows except digimon hunters

also because i stopped expecting them to not treat spike like *bleep* when there was that one episode in like season 2 or something whose moral was along the lines of "all dragons are inherently *bleep*s, and spike is an exception because he was raised by a member of a morally superior species"
Oh yeah, and the beginning the mane 6 openly tease and laugh at Spike for not being very dragon-like and then turn around and say "but why would you want to?" That one line has SO MANY unfortunate implications behind it, and it makes the episode all the more uncomfortable to sit through.

Well I think Spike gets treated well. What I hate is Diamond Tiara.

ernesth100 said:
How she treated people.
Well, it's one thing when a character acts that way to everyone, it's another when otherwise nice (or supposedly nice) characters treat one specific character like that on a regular basis. What I find more insulting is that most of how Spike gets treated is glanced over and not openly acknowledged in the show, giving it kind of a passive aggressive feel.

ernesth100 said:
Oh, well I geuss I just don't feel he takes it as strongly as we do. Cause if he did he wouldve either A. Ran away or B. Punched somepony.
Thing is, it's his BEST FRIENDS that are doing this to him, so he can't really do either of those. They either take advantage of him (mostly Twilight and Rarity do this), openly mock or tease him (Twilight's prone to doing this, though the worst case of this was in Dragon Quest, which... I probably shouldn't get into), or not care when something bad happens to him (this has been almost every other episode in season 4, at least to me; he's subject to the brunt and of slap-stick, the worst being when he's launched off a springboard in Castle Mane-ia, and only Applejack seems to notice and/or care).

Again, maybe I've just been overly sensitive to this as of late, but I feel like the writers should tone it down a bit regardless.

Haven't caught it. But I read the summary on the wiki so I have to give a temp rating of it seeming like they used elements from somewhere else. I remember a show having an episode like this.

EqD's follow-up to Simple Ways and my comment on it:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/02/simple-ways-episode-followup.html

It's funny how every single person seemed to immediately notice Vinyl Scratch, whereas I was more focused on Bulk Biceps... But how could I not? He's just so huge, while Vinyl's just tucked away in the background. Again, I think back to Meghan McCarthy or whoever saying a certain background pony will get lots of screentime, and I can't help but feel it's Bulk...

Also, it's funny that CouchCrusader mentioned that just last week the town was singing Pinkie's praises... In fact, Pinkie Pie seems so sure that she'll be chosen... Like she never learned her lesson about letting her pride get to her. Eh, well, at least she didn't get upset when she lost. Still, something about this feels... off... for whatever reason.

Seriously, that "OH SHIT!" inflated head, that might be THE single funniest face the entire series produced. I've never laughed so hard at a face as I did with that!

Yeah, it's funny, I had a hard time comprehending what was going on and what was the point of this contest or whatever. I was eventually brought up to speed, but for some reason, my brain was having a hard time processing what was going on, especially when they showed all these random ponies dressed up and whatnot... Also, nice reference to Gravity Falls CC! ;)

Yeah, apparently, reptiles have swear glands. We've seen Tank sweat before as well. Although I think it's just the writer and/or storyboard artist being absent-minded about the fact that reptiles are cold-blooded and don't have sweat glands. Incidentally, I was annoyed that Rarity got Spike to do what she wanted him to do again, exploiting his love for her, something which is touched on in the episode but never fully truly addressed, and it annoys the HELL out of me and makes Rarity look like a petty, selfish hypocrite. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

...Hey yeah, we only got see that model of Ponyville once and was never seen again! ...Then again, they probably ARE going to use it, when they're actually decorating the town.

Well, I suppose it would be hard to walk down the stairs "fabulously" in a dress like that...

Cute face... and I honestly didn't think much of Rarity's shrine, but now that I get a better look at it... she's got a lock of his hair... and that bottle of yellow-ish stuff. I almost get the feeling that the storyboard guys and/or the animators are deliberately throwing out incredibly creepy stuff in the background to see if they can get away with it.

You know, I'm sure the storyboard artists/animators know we're always watching, so I'm certain they threw stuff like this here for the purpose of having us pick up on it. Unless they really did just choose the Uncle Orange vector at random and didn't think anything of it, which is totally possible as well.

I have no idea who Anthony Bourdain is. But yeah, I liked the guy. I was neutral towards him at first, then hated him for his bigotry (we'll get to that) and hipster-nature, then went back to liking him at the end. Really, he just feels really sincere with his affections, almost to the point where I can't bring myself to hate him THAT much.

It's episodes like this that remind me just how talented Tabitha St. Germain is and why, even though I think all of the voice actors are awesome, she's probably the best out of them all, whether it be for how versatile she can be, or how much you can get out of her in one session. ...Though maybe Tara Strong can give her a run for her money?

I think I noticed this on rewatch, but yeah, Trenderhoof's ears seem more ridiculously pointy then other pony ears. Also, nice shout-out to the most infamous shot of Lyra in the show... it's actually interesting how much Linky looks a lot like Bon-Bon, as far as manes and tails go, anyway.

Ah, knowing the definition of "trenderfoot" helps me understand Trenderhoof a lot more. It actually makes him all the more hilarious in this episode.

That scene where AJ wipes the apple juices from her mouth still makes me... uncomfortable... Like, this is still a kids show, right?

That's a good point about the mascara... particularly when Rarity stops crying and it stops running, at least that's what I noticed when I watched the episode.

Some people thought the joke about Rarity being said that her affections aren't being returned while Spike was unamused was funny. I find it hard to laugh at, because like I've said, I find the whole "Spike being the butt of jokes" thing to be not all that funny anymore, if it ever was funny in the first place. and I'm a bit overly sensitive to it now. Kind of which they would downplay it a bit... though CC is right, Spike DOES play excellent support in episodes that aren't about him, which for me, only makes me more angry when I see that Spike's friends take advantage of that support and don't seem thankful in the slightest.

Okay, onto the next scene... At first I thought Trenderhoof was pretentious, but after hearing some reviewers and analysts talk about it, as well as reading about it on TV Tropes, I concede that Trenderhoof is a bit of a racist. Not the mean-spirited kind of racist, but the naive kind of "you're a credit to your race" innocent bigot kind of racist. Trenderhoof is sincere in his respect for "the work ethnic of Earth ponies", not realizing that his words can be interpreted the wrong way. This, of course, ties into the fact that he's a "trenderfoot", someone inexperienced and lacking in knowledge of rural lifestyle... Though really, this kind of begs the question if this kind of racism is present in other ponies... I mean, sure, it's the same racism that nearly had all 3 pony tribes frozen thousands of years back, but I don't think it could be all that much of a stretch to say it might still exist, in small doses. I'm actually curious to see this explored in the show, even though I know it'll likely never be touched on again.

That stallion is kind of cute, in an adorkable kind of way. Incidentally, you think he's here with Uncle Orange and Hayseed Turniptruck? Why are there a lot of apple family members here? To join in the festivities of Ponyville's founding? That would make sense.

The "under-appreciated Derpy" joke was hilarious for me. ;)

Serious/snarky AJ is really cute, funny, and endearing! X3

I thought there was going to be a song here... too bad there wasn't, and instead we get a failed attempt at a joke. Seriously, why did you set it up like it was going to rhyme? It doesn't make sense in the logic of the episode. Yeah, sorry if that sounds really nitpicky, it just irks me.

I didn't think Rarity was going to hitch Spike up (thank Celestia she didn't, that would have been an all-time low if she had). I just think it was funny that she had no idea how a plow worked.

I, too, was impressed that Rarity managed to bag an apple. I expected that not a single apple would fall, or that it would land on her head. She's actually pretty decent at this, albeit slow and showy.

So that's 3 unicorns who have had apples impaled on their horns? That's one from season 2 (Sweetie Belle) and two from season 4 (first Rarity, now Trenderhoof).

Applejacks face reminds me of something... Like in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, where Pooh got stuck in Rabbit's entrance, and Rabbit tried to make his rear look like a moose, and when he painted on the mouth, he ended up moving around a bit, making the mouth all squiggly... Upon further thought, I realized it's pretty much what Peanuts did, whenever a character did something goofy or got embarassed or bashful, they'd make that face. I'm trying to think of where else I've seen that kind of face, but I'm kind of distracted but both Twilight and Fluttershy's face; while they don't match AJ's, they're still interesting all the same.

This is where I have to give Tabitha St. Germain props, for faking a fake accent over an accent she's faking for her role. I mean, gosh dang, this is seriously good, to have Rarity, who typically speaks in a posh and proper tone, talking in a clearly phoney country accent, and have her occasionally slipping back into her normal accent (which I don't think is Tabitha's normal accent), that takes skills! It's just a shame to see some people be offended by this portrayal... Yeah, it is kind of blatant stereotyping, but I never felt awkward or uncomfortable while watching it, because I couldn't get enough of Rarity's fake country accent!

Can I also mention that I liked how Rarity's mane looked... before she mentioned it was dirty and fully of split-ends?

You know what I find weird? Applejack clearly is trying to act like Rarity, thought unlike Rarity, it's not in an over-the-top, insulting way... I feel like this is a bit of Fridge Brilliance, since a.) Applejack learned how to be this proper when she was a filly in Manehatten, and b.) she's trying to remind Rarity of what she truly is, and trying to go too far over-the-top to the point of being insulting would only hurt that cause. In that respect, what Rarity does is insulting, since she really does not care for this kind of thing at all, and is only doing it to impress Trenderhoof, despite denying it every chance she can get.

But yeah, Applejack being all pretty, prim, and proper... it's actually really appealing, and I ESPECIALLY like that she can hide her country accent enough to sound the part as well... It's not as good as when she was a filly, but it's still good. Almost makes me sad we won't be seeing more of this.

I think the point where Rarity starts picking her nose deliberately looking like a hick is when things are finally getting to her, where she can't stand doing what she's doing anymore and just letting out her frustrations by trying to make fun of Applejack's lifestyle... Again, that's how I see it. I realize some people might find this offensive or insulting, but since I wasn't offended or insulted, I'm trying to probably explain why that is.

"I LOVE BEING COVERED IN MUD!!!" ...If I haven't said this before, I'll say it again... It's official: season 4 is the best season of MLP so far!

Trenderhoof dressed like a bumpkin is also kind of cute and funny, but I think it's here, where he also learns his lesson about committing to a new lifestyle that isn't his, that I kind of grew to like him after being annoyed with him in the middle of the episode. Like I said, he's not a mean character, he's just... naive. Despite traveling all around Equestria, he's still got a lot to learn and appreciate.

I CAN'T be the only one who noticed that those are two Canterlot ponies, right? Or maybe they're from Ponyville and they just visit Canterlot for the occasional dance or something...

People say the episode ended abruptly... I didn't notice at all. I thought it ended fine, and I don't know what they could have added to "soften the blow" as it were.

...Actually, yeah, I'm sure kids will LOVE looking back on this episode, similar to how I looked back on The Powerpuff Girls and noticed a whole bunch of a adult jokes that went over my head as a kid!

It's weird... I didn't think Rarity's fake country accent was "painful to listen to", I thought it was awesome to listen to, like everything else that comes out of Tabitha St. Germain's mouth... I mean, yeah, it sounded wrong, but that's kind of what I thought was funny about it. Eh, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess.

ernesth100 said:
So whats everyone expecting from this weeks episode?
Despite being a Fluttershy episode, I actually haven't given it much thought... Maybe it's because I've had so much to think and talk about this week...

...BTW, new episode announced:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/02/new-episode-announced-somepony-to-watch.html

S04, E17 - Somepony to Watch Over Me
Air date: March 8th 2014
Apple Bloom has to prove to Applejack that she doesn't need her to constantly watch over her.

My initial reaction:

Um... what? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Applejack has never really been seen being THAT overprotective of Apple Bloom. The last time she did was in Bridle Gossip, and that's ALL the way back in season 1! Applejack hasn't really been shown being THAT concerned whenever Apple Bloom does dangerous stuff (except when Apple Bloom realizes she's in danger, like in The Cutie Pox). So unless this episode opens up with Apple Bloom nearly getting seriously hurt and Applejack suddenly re-committing to watching over her, this is going to come of as really strange.

It's been so long since I watched MLP
I honestly lost interest during season 3 and have never really wanted to pick it up again, tbh.

Phantom L said:
I honestly lost interest during season 3 and have never really wanted to pick it up again, tbh.

Season 3 is far has been the weakest, so I'm not surprised.

But Season 4 has really been very strong, and so far I've loved all the songs! Like damn, the soundtrack this season is just top-notch.

But tis okay if you don't pick it up again. Sometimes I wish that I could let go of my obsessions. :P

Phantom L said:

yeah i stopped watching after the third season ended, never bothered to start again, i've found other shows that i like more

Finally finished it after having to pause and rewind it like 10 times.

I just...........probably the best Fluttershy episode to date!!!!

I don't even...I just...there was so much awesomeness in this episode.

I'll just wait for Smashgoom's review since that usually sums up how I feel.

There was just...so much I loved from this episode.

I still think Hurricane Fluttershy is the best Fluttershy episode xP

But it was kinda enjoyable.

I loved the reuse of Flutterguy ^^

Northern Verve said:
I still think Hurricane Fluttershy is the best Fluttershy episode xP

I loved the reuse of Flutterguy ^^

I do love Hurricane fluttershy a lot, but I felt like this one had more character development from start to finish.

And yes, I died laughing as soon as they said they needed Flutterguy again.

And when Big Mac was singing...omg...

Pinkie being dark though...that was a new one.

Also, wasn't it already confirmed that she had stage fright? I thought for sure that a previous episode had her saying she had stage fright? Or was it us fans that just declared it that?

Definitely loved all the music though. I was beginning to think this was going to be "Fluttershy's Key" episode, but thankfully not yet.

Back