Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Rainbow Dash

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Rarity

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
Flight to the Finish - HO-LY COW was I excited for this one! Still trying to gauge my emotions over this episode, though, I was definitely excited throughout most of it, and I liked it... for the most part. Nothing in it was really a deal-breaker for me, yet I can't help but feel like I got a little TOO excited over it, thus leading me to be a bit disappointed... Ironically, I don't think this episode's as controversial as everyone, including Meghan McCarthy, were making it out to be, or at least not in the way people were expecting... Let me explain.

So, Scootaloo doens't fly... in this episode. I think the biggest disappointment for me, and something that I think will be the REAL source of controversy (or one of) is the fact that they don't commit to giving us a straight answer, and instead, left it ambiguous as to whether or not Scootaloo will fly. Honestly, I think this probably a smart move on the writers' part, since ambiguity is their "thing", and leaving things ambiguous doesn't mess with everybody's head-canon. However, I feel like a lot of people are going to accuse Ed Valentine (who actually wrote this episode very well) and Meghan McCarthy of not committing to permanent change. As if Meghan doesn't have enough problems with people crying foul over Twilight essentially living the same exact life she had the previous season, just with wings and the title of "princess" which I honestly find meaningless now (thanks for that, McCarthy), now people are going to accuse her of trying to maintain the status quo to much and never committing to anything new/concrete that really shakes up how things are. That being said, I still feel like the execution of this episode was well played, and even though we don't get a clear answer about whether or not Scootaloo will be able to fly, it did so in a way that was uplifting and meaningful. I feel like this message would have been the same if it's revealed that she could never fly, it's basically that she's special, unique, and awesome, even if she can't fly like other pegasi.

Also, Scootaloo doesn't get her cutie mark. I don't think people were expecting her to get it in this episode, though some people might have. Let me tell you, the way things were going in this episode, I sure as Hell was expecting it, and while I wasn't really disappointed when she didn't get it, what got me was that there was a pan showing Scootaloo getting a sort of "eureka!" moment, and THEN I thought she was getting her cutie mark... only for her to suggest flag carrying will be their special talents. GOD... DAMN... IT!! Don't TEASE use like that, McCarthy (and Valentine, I guess, but I get the feeling this line wasn't really his doing)! There are SO many of use who are sick and tired of the Cutie Mark Crusaders always missing obvious cues about what their special talents are, and not only does Scootaloo not get her cutie mark, you're ending the episode on that old gag? UGH, it's like, ARGH, so frustrating and annoying, I hate it! And the fact that it's the last scene and the episode ends on that, it almost ruined the whole episode for me! See, people tend to remember and ending more then the beginning or middle of a story, that's why most people like happy endings. Ending the episode on this note makes it feel like the epiphany Scootaloo went through was all a joke, and it feels insulting for anyone invested in it! Granted, that's likely not true, the episode still does well despite that one throw-away line, but GOSH did it piss me off, and I HATE that it's the very last thing we see in the episode...

Something else that kind of irked me was the fact that the CMC break up, it didn't feel right to me... I can kind of justify breaking up after their second performance, since they were tired and cranky, and it could easily be interpreted as Scootaloo trying to soak up the attention (even though I thought it was clear, even then, that Scootaloo was having self-esteem/flying issues), but when they just abandon Scootaloo at the train station, I was all like "What the Hell?!" Seriously, Apple Bloom should of had a good night's rest and should have thought things through by now, but here, when Scootaloo literally calls herself the weak-link and she's doubting herself so much, Apple Bloom just straight up abandons her! What's up with that?! This is also a point where I wasn't entirely sure what the writer was trying to get at... Is this supposed to be a friendship/togetherness issue for the CMC, or is this supposed to be about Scootaloo dealing with her inability to fly? I kind of assumed it was the latter, but the episode seems to be juggling both issues, and I don't know if it really works all that well. Not to mention it kind of feels like they purposefully had the CMC break up just to build the drama and have a cliffhanger just before the commercial. That's just how it feels to me, if anyone can justify these actions, I'd like to hear it.

But those were the only real problems I had with the episode, otherwise it was pretty awesome! Other various things I noticed throughout the episode:

Ms. Harshwhinny's facial expressions at the beginning were really weird... Rainbow Dash had a weird face, too, at one point.

That song... Daniel Ingram really outdid himself this time! Setting the standard for songs higher then ever, and this is only the first song this season! What was it called again? "Heart strong as a horse"? Are horse's hearts strong? Also, how many times is the word "horse" actually used in this show? Not to mention, the CMC's mouths and faces look a little weird at times, but the other visuals, like the CMC running at sunset, their shadows forming a stallion, and other various visuals, it was definitely cute, epic, and really fun to watch, and it really drew me in! That big muscular pony makes another appearance as well, what fun! Guess he's scared of butterflies...

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon... are surprisingly more tolerable in this episode. In previous episodes, I feel like there was no point to their bitchy behavior, and I hate Alpha-Bitches in ANYTHING EVER, but here, there's some logic behind their actions: they don't want the CMC to steal their place as flag carriers, so they act dismissive, smug, and put the CMC down to mess them up. It's terrible, but I can't deny how effective it turn out.

Sweetie Belle's voice... sounds a lot deeper in this episode... did anyone else notice that?

Their first performance really WAS awesome, a HUGE step above their performance in Show Stoppers!

Rainbow Dash trying to act "professional"... Eh, I didn't really care for that running gag, especially when Ms. Harshwhinny started acting up at the end, I was all "ugh"... But at the very least, the episode didn't go where I thought it was going, I.E. Rainbow Dash trying to act "professional" ending up indirectly making the CMC mess up. While she wasn't allowed to get THAT enthusiastic, the CMC took her supportive words to heart, and it all turned out good, ESPECIALLY when Rainbow Dash reunited the CMC.

Speaking of which, I feel like that was the best part of the episode, along with the song. Rainbow Dash really displays her element of loyalty by making sure other ponies are dedicated to their friends. Plus, this is a nice subtle nod to Sleepless in Ponyville, where Rainbow Dash continues to be a sister-figure in Scootaloo's life, and is majorly supportive of her. I think what I liked the most, though, was when Scootaloo asked about flying, and used Rainbow Dash as an example, she didn't hesitant or anything, like most stories I've seen tackle this subject do. Instead, she just says that's what made HER awesome, and Scootaloo needs to do what makes her awesome. It's a brilliantly played act of kindness and support on Rainbow Dash's part, and it really nails down the point of the episode (or one of the points... I guess).

Also, SCOOTALOO HAS A HOME!!! ...But we still never see her parents... So is this a foster home or something, or does she actually have a family? Again, Meghan McCarthy's being sneaky...

And I think that's it. Bravo to Ed Valentine for writing this, I think he had a much better debut episode then Josh Haber with Castle Mane-ia. Again, I don't think this will be as controversial as everyone expected, or at the very least, not controversial in the way we thought it would be. Definitely a good one, IMO.

http://www.tv.com/features/best-of-2013/vote/poll/SpecialFeatures:list:best-animated-series-2013

Nine million votes...

There's eighteen more days to go. I just voted Regular Show again for a futile move. I haven't even watched much of it, but I have enjoyed it more than the other entries I watched some of.

I'd bet money someone hacked the poll.

I can understand FiM leading, even a large lead, but this is too much of a landslide to be real.

d i i i i i d scootaloo just outrun a train?

The Doctor said:
Deku Link said:
The Doctor said:
Ok, I'm sorry.

mlp is an ok series but 9 million votes?

some people have no life

Reminder that you can vote more than once...
I knew that. That's why I said it.

I think it's bot scripting causing this as well

Shoutmon said:
d i i i i i d scootaloo just outrun a train?
I don't think she "outran" it, she just managed to make it in time for the CMC to do their performance. Not to mention, she IS really fast on her scooter.

I saw Flight to the Finish.
It was a nice episode, but how come Scootaloo can't realize her friggin' talent? What a slap in the face. Well at least we know that Scootaloo has a home. Gotta love Silver Spoon's comment "But we already called them blank flanks." and the way she says it too. Also, Diamond Tiara losing just wasn't enough. I also like how Scootaloo got in D.T.'s face(nice facial expression too). I personally would liked to have seen D.T. and S.S. have some sort of slapstick involving Scootaloo's speed on her scooter. This includes them getting splashed with water or mud, ran over, knocked into the air or hurled into something, and/or getting spun and either being tied together, falling dizzily on the ground, or slamming into something.

Another review of Flight to the Finish:

Seriously, I love this guy. I've been checking out his channel more, and he does reviews of other animated shows: Animated Atrocities (really BAD episodes of shows, Spongebob Squarepants and Family Guy are frequent offenders) and Admirable Animation (really GOOD episodes of shows; strangely enough, Courage the Cowardly Dog is frequently mentioned).

BTW Smashgoom, just warning you I believe you liked Putting Your Hoof Down at least somewhat, if you get to Mr Enter's review though. It's probably the one episode he tears apart more so then any other Friendship is Magic episode since it's his least favorite episode of the show.

But generally I like his views since alot of his views on the episode are how I feel (Especially on episodes like Magical Mystery Cure, Canterlot Wedding, Season 3 in general). Granted I don't agree with everything he says (He gives a four star review of Hearts and Hooves Day, but notes that he doesn't like the episode despite it being from an overall sense a good structured episode. I don't think I hate Dragon Quest as much as he did, etc.) but he uses a system that started in his Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 review (Every one of the others before that episode doesn't use that, it's a shame because I would kinda like to see those episodes also done with the same way with the exclamation mark system he does) that makes his reviews unique among many others.

Northern Verve said:
BTW Smashgoom, just warning you I believe you liked Putting Your Hoof Down at least somewhat, if you get to Mr Enter's review though. It's probably the one episode he tears apart more so then any other Friendship is Magic episode since it's his least favorite episode of the show.

But generally I like his views since alot of his views on the episode are how I feel (Especially on episodes like Magical Mystery Cure, Canterlot Wedding, Season 3 in general). Granted I don't agree with everything he says (He gives a four star review of Hearts and Hooves Day, but notes that he doesn't like the episode despite it being from an overall sense a good structured episode. I don't think I hate Dragon Quest as much as he did, etc.) but he uses a system that started in his Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 review (Every one of the others before that episode doesn't use that, it's a shame because I would kinda like to see those episodes also done with the same way with the exclamation mark system he does) that makes his reviews unique among many others.
If he does, I'd totally understand it. I may like Putting Your Hoof Down, but it has a LOT of problems, problems that make me, well, hate it. If he DOES come across something he hates that I like, hopefully I'll be able to shrug it off, but I honestly don't blame anyone for hating that episode, because I can definitely see it, oh yes.

Smashgoom202 said:
Another review of Flight to the Finish:

Seriously, I love this guy. I've been checking out his channel more, and he does reviews of other animated shows: Animated Atrocities (really BAD episodes of shows, Spongebob Squarepants and Family Guy are frequent offenders) and Admirable Animation (really GOOD episodes of shows; strangely enough, Courage the Cowardly Dog is frequently mentioned).
I like The Mysterious Mr. Enter as well. I can't wait for the next episode.

Synopsis for Episodes 8 and 9

Title: Rarity Takes Manehatten
Synopsis: When Rarity attends Fashion Week, another designer copies her entire line.

Basically another episode that's a relatable issues for Artists. This time regarding plagiarism.

Title: Pinkie Apple Pie
Synopsis: Pinkie Pie sets out to discover whether or not she is related to the Apple family

This is a bit of an odd concept, what would make Pinkie come to think she's related to the Apple Family? Unless of course, one of Pinkie's family members married an Apple family member. Could this be the case for Pinkie's sister? (We were hinted that we would see at least one of Pinkie's sisters)

Just saw Power Ponies, and well... I didn't like it. Hard to say why I didn't like it... Probably for the same reason some people (particularly Tommy Oliver/BronyCurious) didn't like Daring Do, I just didn't like the premise. I dunno, for me, fiction within fiction never interested me, because they're NOT the main focus, and thus trying to get us invested in what happens to them is kind of moot because not only do you know they're not real, but because they're NOT the main focus of an show/movie/whatever, they don't get enough time to develop and create stakes for us to care about. There are some exceptions, like The Walrus & The Carpenter from Alice in Wonderland (or if we're going by the books, Through the Looking Glass); there it's done right, it's entertaining, it's brief, and it's both relevant and irrelevant to the story (in the animated Disney movie, anyway). It's relevant because there's an Aesop/moral to it, and acts a a bit of foreshadowing, but it's irrelevant because Alice completely misses the point of it. In the case of this episode, maybe it's because I'm already disinterested, but from what I gathered,
they don't give much of an attempt to give us an insight on the world of "Maretropolis", who the Power Ponies and Humdrum are, why (besides the fact that she's a supervillain) the Mane-iac in particular is the archenemy of the Power Ponies, since she seems like too much of a gimmicky villain to be labeled their "archenemy". When you think of superheroes and supervillains and why they're archenemies, there's usually a good reason for that, maybe it's continuous encounters, maybe they're connected to each other, though their past, their relations, or merely being foils for one-another, or maybe they did something to the hero to earnthe title of their archenemy. BUT, since this is a one-off, self-contained episode, we don't get any of that. Again, this is why I didn't like Daring Do that much; so much of her stories were underdeveloped, and because she obviously wasn't real in the context of, I didn't care at all about her stories. You can only stretch your suspension of disbelief so far.

But, it's not like I didn't appreciate the Indiana Jones references with her, and I do appreciate the superhero shout-outs with this one. I feel like it's better then The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well, because there's a POINT to the superhero stuff, in that it takes place in a comic, where stuff like this happens. In particular, I liked how the Mane-iac's origin mirrors that of the Joker's... But I don't really care for her "destory Maretropolis" motivation, even if it is a shout-out to Golden Age/Silver Age/whatever comics, where supervillains motivations were flimsy at best, and nonsensical at worst. BUT HEY, SHE'S CRAZY, SO IT'S OKAY TO HAVE HER PLAN MAKE NO SENSE!!! Yeah, sorry, still don't really by it. Again, this show has this weird thing of TRYING to be something but not meeting me all the way. It's attempts at humor never get me to laugh, trying to portray someone a certain way just feels forced and scripted, even in GOOD episodes... nothing feels natural to me, which is weird, because I don't have that problem in shows like Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, and Wander Over Yonder. Speaking of which, early Ice King is a good example of a truly crazy villain that's fun to watch, while Lord Hater is a good example of a really hammy villain that just wallows in how evil he can be. I never got that with the Mane-iac, even though I could tell it was TRYING to be like that. I don't know what it is, or if it's something wrong with the show, or something wrong with me... And I don't get the impression that it's because I'm biased against this episode, again, this is a recurring problem with this show and me...

Also, "Enchanted Comic Book Store"? Seriously? How much of a *bleep*ing asspull is this?! I would have bought that there's something about the comic, or the comic's author, or if maybe the "pony of shadows" or Discord was behind this, but this *bleep*ing throw-away line about getting the book from a *bleep*ing enchanted comic book store just screams bull*bleep* in every way! Not only does it feel lazy, but it opens up WAY too many questions! Like, are the author and artist of this comic aware of this? Are they partially responsible for this? Do ALL comic books sold in that store take you into the comic? You'd think that store would be out of business a LONG time ago with something like that! And considering that not many people by comics these days, they don't need ANOTHER reason to drive potential readers away! And why the Hell did that comic disappear at the end?! Like *bleep*ing Hell, do I hate this last-minute handwave...

And if you're about to accuse this as a nitpick, then let me give out an actual nitpick that drove me nuts: if the Mane-iac has hairspray that not only freezes ponies but takes away their powers, why the Hell doesn't she just take that everywhere she goes? Like, she should carry 6 or something cans on her at any given moment, she's got the hair to do it! Or maybe she doesn't because SHE'S CRAZY, DOI-DE-DOI-DE-DOO! Seriously, this feels like an overwhelming big factor to consider, moreso then Kryptonite was to Superman. There was no explanation given for the hairspray, like if the Mane-iac manufactured it or if it was from somewhere else, but it just seems like too much of a gamebreaker to gloss over like that.

So... yeah, I guess those were the main things I didn't like about this episode. I want to get on to the good bits, but I don't know, I feel so distracted right now... Like, my dislike for this episode is really hindering my need to go into anything I liked from it. I didn't like the idea the moment I saw it as part of the animatic at Comic Con, and I didn't like it once I saw the whole thing. Though if there's one thing that's good and bad about this episode, is that it only lasts one episode. It's bad in that everything we need to know has to be summed up before the episode's end, and since I already had issues with it already, that pretty much crippled any investment I had in this episode. I mean, obviously, the ponies are going to get out okay, and I didn't care HOW they were going to get out of it, so yeah... but then again, since this episode just has "one-off" written all over it, I can hopefully forget this episode ever existed, unless they decide to do something again in the future, which isn't that far-fetched considering Daring Do. Part of me is expecting the Mane-iac to get a "Dark Laser" treatment, i.e. the character starts out as just a comic book character but somehow manages to get into the world the main characters live and becomes an actual antagonist, like Dark Laser from Fairly Odd Parents. If that happened, I... wouldn't be that upset, honestly, because this episode isn't bad, I just really don't like it for some reason...

But, as to other good things about this episode, I GUESS I like the whole parallel between Spike and Humdrum... I've been watching reviews by this guy, TheMysteriousMrEnter:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMysteriousMrEnter/videos

He's said that Spike episodes aren't that good, but says that when Meghan McCarthy writes episodes, Spike's at his absolute best, and wants her to write a Spike episode. Since this episode is written by Meghan McCarthy (and I guess Charlotte Fullerton, who he considers the worse writer on the show but I actually like, and Betsy McGowen, another newbie to the show who used to write for Johnny Test... ho boy), I'm curious to see what his thoughts are, particularly on Spike's characterization. I feel like yeah, Spike's characterization fluctuates a lot from episode to episode, but I never really saw him as "useless", like Spike claims Humdrum is. At worst, he's... well, been straight up villianized, but he never seemed to be that much of a hindrance. And despite why I and many others have against Meghan McCarthy, if there's one thing her episodes do right, it's make Spike actually useful and supportive. This episode follows suit with that, Spike being the one to save the day in the end, and I have to admit, I do sympathize with his need to feel useful, because while he's not useless per se, in a lot of episodes he DOES do a whole lot of nothing. This really wants to make me know more about Humdrum, though, he can't be as bad as Spike makes him out to be. He sounds like your a-typical Batman fan, whining over Robin and how useless he is; in fact, Humdrum even DRESSES like Robin, almost to drive that point home! Thing is, Robin is just as big a staple to Batman as Dr. Watson is to Sherlock Holmes, and he's not COMPLETELY useless... although there are multiple Robins, but that's beside the point. Point is, this is just another example of why I'm not feeling any love for this episode, I want to know more, and I don't get any, and likely never will, since this is just a random comic book (that's apparently enchanted and disappears on the fly... Did Spike actually pay for that book? What a rip-off!), why learn more about something that isn't supposed to be the main focus of the series? ...Are you guys getting why I don't like this episode? I feel like a lot of times when I try to get my point across, some people pick my arguments apart, and like I've said time and time again, I'm not good at debating, and like I said, I don't think this episode is bad, I just don't like it, and I REALLY hope you people can understand why I don't like it...

...But wait, if there IS something I genuinely, whole-heartedly liked, nay LOVED, it's how the episode opened. Apparently, Celestia wants the mane 6 to clean up her and Luna's old castle. Not only is this a nod to continuity, but it's also implies that this will be a bigger thing in the future! More importantly, it reminded me of an idea I had back before I saw Castle Mane-ia. See, I never liked the idea that Twilight still lives in Ponyville, like nothing's changed. Hell, the way this episode starts, and even within the episode itself, it feels like Twilight never became a unicorn at all (there might have been some scenes of her flying that I missed, forgive me for that). This really bothered me, because her change into an alicorn was SUCH a big deal, so it's AGGRAVATING to see the status quo remain unchanged despite that big change. I had thought that, if Twilight could live in Celestia and Luna's old castle, it'd still be a big enough change, since she could supposedly "rule" over the Everfree Forest and guard the Tree of Harmony, but she'd also still live near her friends, so the mane 6 dynamic can still remain, and her big change could still be felt! It worked so well that it really disappointed me to see they didn't go there... but Celestia must have a reason for wanting to rebuild and clean up her and Luna's old castle... Perhaps Celestia wants Twilight to live there? Much like how Cadance live sin the Crystal Empire? I'd love that idea, and I really hope that's the case!

...Also, yeah, I guess the fights are cool. I think I like Rarity's power the most, and I especially like Fluttershy hulking out at the end.

I guess that's it... Ugh, I feel so down and out, for some reason. I really didn't like ripping into this episode, if you can even call it that. I don't like it, but I can't justify it, and I just know there will be some people upset with me for not liking it, or some people that will try to argue or debate with me over it, and I dunno, it's not like I don't want people to hear my thoughts or react accordingly, I'm just in a real bummer mood, I guess. I still didn't really like the idea of the episode to begin with, but maybe that might have effected my mood now...

Smashgoom202 said:
Also, "Enchanted Comic Book Store"? Seriously? How much of a *bleep*ing asspull is this?! I would have bought that there's something about the comic, or the comic's author, or if maybe the "pony of shadows" or Discord was behind this, but this *bleep*ing throw-away line about getting the book from a *bleep*ing enchanted comic book store just screams bull*bleep* in every way! Not only does it feel lazy, but it opens up WAY too many questions! Like, are the author and artist of this comic aware of this? Are they partially responsible for this? Do ALL comic books sold in that store take you into the comic? You'd think that store would be out of business a LONG time ago with something like that! And considering that not many people by comics these days, they don't need ANOTHER reason to drive potential readers away! And why the Hell did that comic disappear at the end?! Like *bleep*ing Hell, do I hate this last-minute handwave...

Well, magic enchanted stores are kind of a trope of sorts. The shop in Gremlins being the most iconic, and that also barely answered any questions. Sure, it's probably still sorta lazy since it's an easy idea connected to cheesy 80's movies but I wouldn't really qualify it as an "asspull" because of some imagined belief that this would drive people away from comic book stores. Hell, that would make me actually want to go to one! Perhaps it's a nod to a popular thing from the childhood of the animators and writers and perhaps even the brony audience that they know exists? The trope is probably around here somewhere I guess idk I didn't really feel like looking at that site for too long to get anything 400% adequate so feel free to look around yourself, it may be enlightening.

Morty said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Well, magic enchanted stores are kind of a trope of sorts. The shop in Gremlins being the most iconic, and that also barely answered any questions. Sure, it's probably still sorta lazy since it's an easy idea connected to cheesy 80's movies but I wouldn't really qualify it as an "asspull" because of some imagined belief that this would drive people away from comic book stores. Hell, that would make me actually want to go to one! Perhaps it's a nod to a popular thing from the childhood of the animators and writers and perhaps even the brony audience that they know exists? The trope is probably around here somewhere I guess idk I didn't really feel like looking at that site for too long to get anything 400% adequate so feel free to look around yourself, it may be enlightening.
Huh... never thought of it that way... Still, it's only barely mentioned, which makes me feel like it's an asspull, and only leads back to my main problem, i.e. it doesn't have enough time to develop stuff. I don't know what would have made this better since as I said, I didn't like the premise to start with.

^ For those confused with the above message, Smashgoom's message is Spoiler #2.

I completely loved this episode. I don't mind the "fiction within a fiction" story, because it really draws out the fact that they are like us: enjoying a fiction.

Really great, and really funny.

When I saw Fluttershy "hulk" out, I was with the others jaw-dropped, because it was just really awesome that she did that. I mean, it was just like "That's Fluttershy? No bleeping way."

Back