Explain the happenings between DKC and DKCR

Leonyx

Glory to the Shroob Empire! Long live the Shroobs!
Apparently I have Donkey Kong Country Returns on the brain.

I love making up continuity so the changes made between games make sense. That's what I want you to do here. What happened between Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country Returns so that the lack of Kremlings makes sense? Please don't turn this into a hate on DKCR thread, but have fun with it.

I have two theories:
-The events of DKC pretty much kicked them off the island; after the Kongs bust through their whole factory operation and banana smuggling, they didn't have much of a reason to stay there. Plus, DKC2 saw the end of their home island (they made a makeshift one in DK64). I'm thinking they constructed a new home for themselves or moved to Northern Kremisphere, where they can do damage to the Kongs' lifestyle and have a safe place to escape if need be. But they don't inhabit Donkey Kong Island any more. Other animals start to make their way on to the island in their place (not sure how this would happen, perhaps through super fast evolution? Or maybe they just realize it's more safe to be out again). Colonel Pluck and his chicken friends take over what factories the Kremlings left in their haste.
-Donkey Kong Country Returns happens BEFORE the events of Donkey Kong Country, meaning that the Kongs probably didn't even know what a Kremling was when the Tikis attacked. I don't believe the game ever references the Kremlings or Donkey Kong Country at all, so this could be viable, albeit strange.

Any other theories?

Leonyx said:
-Donkey Kong Country Returns happens BEFORE the events of Donkey Kong Country, meaning that the Kongs probably didn't even know what a Kremling was when the Tikis attacked. I don't believe the game ever references the Kremlings or Donkey Kong Country at all, so this could be viable, albeit strange.
There's no way that's possible. At one point in the game, I remember Cranky saying something along the lines of, "Who HASN'T stolen your bananas at this point?", which indicates that this game at least took place after the first Donkey Kong Country.

Nitro Man said:
There's no way that's possible. At one point in the game, I remember Cranky saying something along the lines of, "Who HASN'T stolen your bananas at this point?", which indicates that this game at least took place after the first Donkey Kong Country.

Well, that's not really proof that it isn't possible. As far as I can remember, King K. Rool (and his many aliases) is the only character that steals bananas from Donkey Kong's banana hoard in a game, excluding the Tikis of course (technically Bowser took bananas in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but that's a different universe entirely). Because the reference you brought up hints that multiple characters have stolen bananas, Cranky could very well be talking about thefts that were not detailed in any games. These thefts may have happened before Donkey Kong Country, and before King K. Rool started to steal from Donkey Kong.

Cranky probably isn't talking about the Kremlings, because other than in DKCR, the Kremlings are the only characters who steal bananas.

With no disrespect, I don't see any point in overanalyzing the stories behind videogames. I mean who cares? For instance baby DK was supposedly helping baby Mario in Yoshi's Island DS yet his (grand)father was Mario's villain.

FunkyKong84 said:
With no disrespect, I don't see any point in overanalyzing the stories behind videogames. I mean who cares? For instance baby DK was supposedly helping baby Mario in Yoshi's Island DS yet his (grand)father was Mario's villain.

Yeah, I know this isn't for everyone. I personally like to overanalyze, but you don't have to participate if you don't want to.

In response to your example, Yoshis are pure in heart, and would help anyone. They also helped Baby Bowser for a little while, even after what happened in the first Yoshi's Island.

Back