Egyptian man names his daughter "Facebook"

Kyoko Sakura

Celestial Guide
Sauce.
A young man in his twenties wanted to express his gratitude about the victories the youth of 25th of January have achieved and chose to express it in the form of naming his firstborn girl "Facebook" Jamal Ibrahim (his name.) The girl’s family, friends, and neighbors in the Ibrahimya region gathered around the new born to express their continuing support for the revolution that started on Facebook. “Facebook” received many gifts from the youth who were overjoyed by her arrival and the new name. A name [Facebook] that shocked the entire world.
First thing that comes to my mind (after complete and utter disgust) is a bad joke I heard in Elementary School.

Hi, I'm Facebook. (O^∪^O)
Nice to meet you.

Sounds really annoying.

A little girl is in for an exciting childhood... Poor thing.

Someone should give that man an award for amazing foresight.

Read this on Care2 yesterday, somehow predicted it'd end up here sooner or later. They make it seem like something celebration-worthy there for some reason; and sure, it's nice what they've accomplished, but "poor girl" is the only appropriate response here. It's just terrible. Being grateful for a website's existence is one thing, but cursing your own child with a name like that to express yourself should be punishable by law. If he had changed his own name to that, it'd be okay, but he's forcing it on an innocent child who had no say in the matter. Terrible.

Vellidragon said:
Read this on Care2 yesterday, somehow predicted it'd end up here sooner or later. They make it seem like something celebration-worthy there for some reason; and sure, it's nice what they've accomplished, but "poor girl" is the only appropriate response here. It's just terrible. Being grateful for a website's existence is one thing, but cursing your own child with a name like that to express yourself should be punishable by law. If he had changed his own name to that, it'd be okay, but he's forcing it on an innocent child who had no say in the matter. Terrible.

DAMN RIGHT!!

Vellidragon said:
I agree with all of this but I'm still insensitive enough to joke about it:

THIS ISN'T WHAT YOU DO WHEN SOMEONE TELLS YOU TO MAKE A FACEBOOK D:

Have fun in grade school Facebook!:

Teacher: So how to you solve x + 7y=4x?

*Facebook raises hand*

Teacher: Yes Facebook.

*kids laugh in the background.

Wow. Facebook isn't worth naming anything after, let alone a child, of all things.

Mephiles the Dark said:

Wow. Facebook isn't worth naming anything after, let alone a child, of all things.

I heard some guy named a website as that name and apparently he's pretty rich now

In seriousness, Facebook doesn't allow people to use the term "Facebook" in names or pages. Have fun registering on facebook, Facebook.

The Egyptian Revolution would have been nearly impossible without social networking sites like Facebook. You all have no idea what you're talking about.

Actually, Ninji is right.

λ-11 said:
The Egyptian Revolution would have been nearly impossible without social networking sites like Facebook. You all have no idea what you're talking about.

Nobody is debating that Facebook was vital to the revolution. That's not the point. Years down the road, this girl is going to have to deal with the fact that she has a very unusual name, and all the social consequences that entails. She is going to be mocked by her peers, and the fact that Facebook was important to the current revolution doesn't change that at all.

Unless naming kids Facebook becomes a hugely popular trend, I guess.

You can be mocked for pretty much any name. Having a name that has an actual meaning is something that she should be proud of, so yeah, it kind of is the point. It's the same thing as naming a child after an important historical figure. You guys are blowing things way out of proportions.

At least he didn't name her "Myspace."

*facepalms*

Never liked that website anyway.

*facebooks*

I have a guy named Mike Myers in my grade as well as a Miles Davis.

While I realize this is not the same situation in any way, I will say that they do not get mocked.

And neither does the school head janitor, Michael Jackson.

I wonder if people mock those that are named Mario. Mario is a pretty mundane name, though.

There's a guy named Mario that sits in front of me in my English class. No, he is not mocked.

They should consider themselves lucky. I bet that other people with similar names would get teased.

Not everyone is a Mario nerd like most of the people here

you know

In my country they say "Mario Mario"
and put the super Mario theme to tease on mario's
maybe because every Mario i know it's a fat guy... And my math teacher it's called luigi cause he's exactly like him...

i would be so embarasse to have a name like facebook, so what if its about a revolution, the daughter & father probably have no clue that facebook supports a revolution anyways, how shes suppose to be proud about something she doesnt even know about :rolleyes:
I am not sure if going through hell in school is much to be proud of??? to be honest naming your daughter facebook is pretty dang ignorant, he could'ove been drunk ???

Random Person: Hey I was just messaging somebody on Facebook!
Facebook's Mom: Gasp! Don't stand on my daughter!
Imagine your name as Spammer. Police: Hey Spammer your in trouble!

That guy is making a copyright infringement too, isn't he?

Back