Thoughts on Nintendo Network

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
No, it’s not dead yet.

Many Wii U-era services are shutting down. Wii U Chat? Dead. Nintendo TVii? Dead as well. Wii Street U? Again, dead. Miiverse? Died three months ago. Nintendo Switch Online Service? Paid starting September.

Wii U is dead, guys, and it has been for over a year. It may have been a failure, but it was a great console with great games. But looking at the evidence, Nintendo Network seems to be breathing its last.

Nintendo Network was a great service, in the few months I’ve had to enjoy it. I will miss Mario Kart 8 tournaments, and before long I will be unable to participate in my own tournament, "The Spiny Shells". I will miss Course World in Super Mario Maker dearly, despite the fact that my three levels will face deletion within the next 24 hours. I won’t really miss the online matchups of Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, though, as it’s servers are pretty much abandoned anyway. And, although I haven’t played it, no one is going to miss the 128-year online bans from SSB for 3DS.

But Mario Golf: World Tour and Mario Tennis Open will lose their namesakes. They’ll be practically nothing. What will we even CALL them? Mario Golf: Loner Tour and Mario Tennis Closed? Those don’t sound like very appealing names. And both of them were pretty fun anyway.

As for Nintendo Switch Online, I’m dreading it. I’m not a fan of money charges inflicted upon what was once free. Man, what would I give to keep the service free?

How about you? What are your opinions looking back upon the service, and looking forward to its paid successor?

I think they might keep 3DS and Wii U's online going longer than they did with Wii and DS because of the Wii U's short lifespan and the fact that the 3DS isn't dead yet.

YFJ said:
But Mario Golf: World Tour and Mario Tennis Open will lose their namesakes. They’ll be practically nothing. What will we even CALL them? Mario Golf: Loner Tour and Mario Tennis Closed? Those don’t sound like very appealing names. And both of them were pretty fun anyway.
Better Mario Tennis Closed than Mii Tennis: Featuring Unpowered Mario Mofos.

Nintendo Network may be dying, but I do the occasional online match in Bayonetta 2 for the Wii U. Nintendo Network was a good online network until they shut down Miiverse, I lost faith in Nintendo Network when Miiverse shut down. :(

Back