Collab: Adding .ogg voice clips to character pages (and "Voice" sections too)

Ray Trace

Fastest at casing, fastest at carrying
Poll Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
So I've started working on this today, done it with Baby Luigi and Baby Mario as I feel like it's about time since the recent proposal about using voice clips passed. Other than the small worry that I might be delving into to too much detail about these two characters, I'm pleased with my work so far into implemented voice clips for characters (as well as adding a voice section; we have a physical description, why not an auditory description of them?)

Here are good sites to find unadulterated, clean voice clips of characters

The Sounds Resource
Mario Fan Games Galaxy

If not available, it's also possible to rip sound clips from the ISO itself (you need some prior knowledge on how exactly to rip stuff and how specific file formats work however. I can always assist in ripped sounds from a .brsar in Wii games, as it's simple to rip those).

You also might need something like Audacity to convert the sound formats as they usually come in .wav. If you're lucky, some rippers may rip them in .ogg format already.

The best examples on how to use these properly is if the characters have varying voice actors or sounds such as Bowser, Yoshi, Rosalina, etc but there can be also subtle differences between games they appear in (I've noticed Baby Luigi sounded slightly different in Wii than Double Dash...could be just me though but I uploaded both anyway). You can also find voice clips that best color a character's personality, such as the ones I decided to use for the Baby Mario Bros.'s articles.

This is what you SHOULDN'T upload:

• Simple voice clips (grunts, etc) that are typically less than a second long and are there only for the purpose of video game play.
  • Long yells or screams that typically come from characters falling off a cliff
  • Biased sound clips (no, DON'T upload every voice clip where a character loses)
  • Garbled, terrible quality sound clips
  • Many sound clips of a character in one file. Maybe one or two is enough but something like 5 is over-doing it
  • Many sound clips from the same game. Yes, Mario from Super Mario 64 is nostalgic, however, that's not the only game in the entire Nintendoverse where Mario has voice effects.

Further information: Help:Media

So....does anyone wanna help get started?

Just to let you know, I've uploaded two Mario voices from Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

http://www.mariowiki.com/File:MvsDK_Mario_CharlesMartinet.ogg
http://www.mariowiki.com/File:MvsDK_Mario_Miyamoto.ogg

My biggest question is how many more I should upload... Mario's talking is a really notable exception.

I'm really stumped on how we can create sound effects for characters who have appeared in a ton of games and have a ton of variation when it comes to voices. We can't fit everything into a voice section.

Popular phrases and notable examples sound fine but I also like to shed some light on some lesser known, but still notable sound clips like the aforementioned that my sister posted from Mario vs Donkey Kong

Maybe I should get some tidbits from Mario's FUNdamentals too.

Good idea. It is the first time Mario got voiced in a video game by Charles Martinet after all

Back