worst Mario game?

Welllll, I didn't say "all".

But I can't make a judgment on Poopy Paypal Mayro because I never played it and I've already witnessed the amount of pain and suffering it has caused. It's already annoying enough that I can't rewrite its articles in Super Mario Wiki since we're against grimdark writing but unfortunately, not against games with grimdark writing.

Doesn't look like a legit bad Mario Gaem, but probably a weaker entry.

well i dont think mario has a bad track record imo, just some bad eggs.

Zae Eildus said:
a game with a lack of content doesnt really make a bad game, underwhelming but not bad.

Bad would imply bad coding, terrible gameplay decisions, or god awful writing.

Agree with this.

Ultra Smash is a contender for Most Disappointing Mario game, though. It saddens me because a game like Ultra Smash deserves far better than this.

Baby Luigi said:
You keep calling Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash the worst Mario game, but I strongly believe that it can't be the worst due to how much fun my twin and I had with it and how awesome the game plays and feels.

And if Ultra Smash really is the worst Mario game, it shows you how much of a quality franchise Mario is.
Ultra Smash defies Miyamoto's statement of "A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is forever bad" or something along those lines. It is rushed, unpolished and unfinished when compared to Power Tennis which was released way back in 2004 for the GameCube which had WAY more polish than Ultra Smash. I call it disappointing and meh. It's playable and not bug ridden and barely playable unlike Bug Rugs: Over the Rainbow Road Racing, that's for sure. Just seeing a 2015 game getting it's ass handed by a 2004 game is so unbelievable.

For what Ultra Smash has, it is a polished game. The problem is its utter lack of content and anything to do aside from playing tennis. It is a rushed game, but for a rushed game, it plays pretty well.

I think the tennis gameplay in Ultra Trash is better than Power Tennis, to be completely honest. It's really fast-paced, the serves still feel powerful (though not as powerful as Open), and the slices slice a lot. Plus I absolutely love Jump Shots. Seeing characters leap really high to perform shots is always very satisfying.

Power Tennis does edge in terms of variety though, and hence why I still prefer Power Tennis. Had Ultra Trash got DLC to be on par with Power Tennis, I'd play Ultra Trash any day of the week.

We call it that out of endearment. Sorry if that wasn't clear to you!

It's an endearing nickname I gave to it, because many people were calling it that and I thought it was funny.

Same reason I call Mayro Kratt Ate, Mayro Kratt Ate.

7GrandDad said:
Mario Galaxy 1 aged horribly. It was never good to begin with, but holy *bleep*, the obscene cutscenes and Wiimote controls are just bad.

Arguably, most of Modern Mario can fall into this given how disgustingly bland and sterile it's become, but it started with NSMB1 on DS and took a big fat nosedive with Mario Galaxy.
I strongly disagree. To me, Super Mario Galaxy is the best Mario platformer or at least in the top 3. I also cannot see how Galaxy contributed to the blandness; if anything, it made the series less bland since it actually had a story and it is more creative than the NSMB games. I also cannot see why you'd call the cutscenes "obscene". The only thing bad that I can think of about Galaxy is its graphics aren't superb, but they're not worse than any other Wii game from that time.

About all this Super Paper Mario bashing, I think people exaggerate how bad it is. I don't see what's wrong with having a Paper Mario game with a serious plot. Before I started playing it, hearing about its comparatively dark story made we want to play it. I know Mario is a more happy-go-lucky series, but what's wrong with some variety? Of course, I've only beaten the first two chapters so far, but I think it's kind of awesome how dark it is.

Luigi 64DD said:
About all this Super Paper Mario bashing, I think people exaggerate how bad it is. I don't see what's wrong with having a Paper Mario game with a serious plot. Before I started playing it, hearing about its comparatively dark story made we want to play it. I know Mario is a more happy-go-lucky series, but what's wrong with some variety? Of course, I've only beaten the first two chapters so far, but I think it's kind of awesome how dark it is.
There's nothing inherently wrong with a darker tone in the story, but it didn't work for me because I didn't find the dialogue compelling, the jokes funny, the characters likable, or the plot meaningful.

sorry but the story felt so plastered on there, like it was ripped from something else, shoved in a mario game and some mario characters added in.

Personally that wasnt even my biggest beef with the game, it was everything else.

The lack luster designs both in characters and level design, the boring as hell gameplay that didnt need to be changed, the forgettable soundtrack, an extremely non-existant difficulty and some very bad chapter gameplay decisions.

Baby Luigi said:
I think the tennis gameplay in Ultra Trash is better than Power Tennis, to be completely honest. It's really fast-paced, the serves still feel powerful (though not as powerful as Open), and the slices slice a lot. Plus I absolutely love Jump Shots. Seeing characters leap really high to perform shots is always very satisfying.

Power Tennis does edge in terms of variety though, and hence why I still prefer Power Tennis. Had Ultra Trash got DLC to be on par with Power Tennis, I'd play Ultra Trash any day of the week.

Ultra Smash does fail in terms of the fact that Nintendo refused to provide free DLC packs to fix the game and add the traditional Tournament modes like in it's predecessors. I'll admit, it's a meh game. Sure, it may not be as bad as say Bug Rugs: Over the Rainbow Road Racing, Superbuggyman 64, Action 52 and Sonic 06. Sure obviously the graphics are in modern HD which has a bit of polish. But one thing I miss are the Power Shots which is why I prefer Power Tennis and consider Power Tennis the last really good Mario Tennis game.

Zae Eildus said:
sorry but the story felt so plastered on there, like it was ripped from something else, shoved in a mario game and some mario characters added in.

Personally that wasnt even my biggest beef with the game, it was everything else.

The lack luster designs both in characters and level design, the boring as hell gameplay that didnt need to be changed, the forgettable soundtrack, an extremely non-existant difficulty and some very bad chapter gameplay decisions.
Don't know about some of these other things, but I will admit it's been really easy so far. In fact, I was unimpressed at how easy the Chapter 2 Mimi boss fight was.

Luigi 64DD said:
the plot is often a point of contention for spm haters, but it's not exactly because of how dark it is. the plot may /seem/ dark and twisted at first glance, but after further analysis, it's shown to be pretty flimsy and tryhard. since this is your first time playing, i'll hold off on spoilery details, but if you replay it afterwards, you'll likely see what i mean about it.

however, the story of spm isn't the only reason many dislike it. the game itself is exceedingly easy and tedious, even by mario game standards. every single enemy and boss is a pushover, even moreso if you use bowser, and there's many moments throughout the entire game that are meaningless filler or just plain bullshit; chapter 2 is actually the most blatant example of this. 2-3 is likely one of the worst levels i've ever seen in a mario game, because it's extremely tedious and is like 90% filler. you literally just continuously press 2 or hold down right for over half of the entire level, and the reasoning for this is virtually nonexistent. this just feels really lazy and frankly disappointing on nintendo's part; it's pretty hard to believe and accept that the same company behind masterpieces like smw, sm64, and ttyd made this really poorly-designed level.

Samson said:
it's pretty hard to believe and accept that the same company behind masterpieces like smw, sm64, and ttyd made this really poorly-designed level.
to be fair, the first two were developed by Nintendo EAD, while ttyd and spm were developed by Intelligent Systems, so it's not really the same team for the former

Samson said:
2-3 is likely one of the worst levels i've ever seen in a mario game, because it's extremely tedious and is like 90% filler. you literally just continuously press 2 or hold down right for over half of the entire level, and the reasoning for this is virtually nonexistent. this just feels really lazy and frankly disappointing on nintendo's part; it's pretty hard to believe and accept that the same company behind masterpieces like smw, sm64, and ttyd made this really poorly-designed level.
Yeah, that level did seem pretty ridiculous, especially if you don't figure out about Mimi's 1,000,000 rubee stash until you've already wasted your time putting rubees at the bank.

Luigi 64DD said:
Yeah, that level did seem pretty ridiculous, especially if you don't figure out about Mimi's 1,000,000 rubee stash until you've already wasted your time putting rubees at the bank.

The only level of the entire game I had a problem with was 2-3 and Overthere Stair. And that was it, nothing else. Still, I felt it would've been better if they spread some hints throughout the level to show you that there was a rubee stash in the first place. I had to look up a walkthrough just to get past it.

Zae Eildus said:

I find this point that so many people bring up very amusing, because the entire game plot was actually developed with Mario in mind, believe it or not.

Zae Eildus said:
The lack luster designs both in characters and level design

I could say the level design was a bit sub-par, but I think that was the problem with trying to make both a fun platformer and a story-based RPG at the same time. In terms of characters, I don't get why everyone dislikes the "lackluster designs" when at least it's not a fucking Goomba or a Bob-omb with clothes or color changes for the third time.

Maybe if they didn't spam the "block" aesthetic everywhere and used TTYD's artstyle, their designs would shine better, but it doesn't mean the designs are terrible. Speaking of the block aesthetic; that wasn't laziness, if that's what anyone was thinking. Considering all the SMB references, I believe the block aspect is a sort of "modernized" version of pixel art.

Zae Eildus said:
the boring as hell gameplay that didnt need to be changed, the forgettable soundtrack

They perfected the gameplay in TTYD. The reason everyone liked TTYD's gameplay was because it was a better version of PM64's, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't really improve from there. Also, "forgettable soundtrack"...

I know I like crappy loops or terrible songs like Super Mario Kart's, but I can tell there are flaws in those songs. I remember Super Paper Mario's soundtrack more than Super Mario Galaxy, and I'm not even joking. Part of the reason I like Super Paper Mario so much was because of it's soundtrack. It amplified the atmosphere so well, and even though there were some bad tracks in SPM's soundtrack, it wasn't forgettable in any way.

Luigi 64DD said:
Don't know about some of these other things, but I will admit it's been really easy so far. In fact, I was unimpressed at how easy the Chapter 2 Mimi boss fight was.

One of the most noticeable flaws with the game is either that it has ridiculously tedious difficulty, three of which being annoying trials that I won't spoil for your sake, or it has extremely pathetic bosses and enemies. The only times I had trouble with bosses were;

The second Mimi battle in Sammer Kingdom, and the penultimate Count Bleck battle.

And I think I only died once with the latter, while I died about three or four times with the former.

Samson said:
the plot is often a point of contention for spm haters, but it's not exactly because of how dark it is. the plot may /seem/ dark and twisted at first glance, but after further analysis, it's shown to be pretty flimsy and tryhard. since this is your first time playing, i'll hold off on spoilery details, but if you replay it afterwards, you'll likely see what i mean about it.

I noticed it all immediately once I played the game, and I'll be honest, I don't exactly completely know what the story was trying to achieve, as it appeared there must've been more than one writer who all wanted to make the story their own way. However, from what I've seen so far, the game was trying to be light-hearted like a typical Mario game, but it's only dark if you actually think about it.

In fact, it's not really that dark at all, more than it is serious. I never saw any moment where it was "trying" to be dark, as it seemed more like it was trying not to be. In fact, I'd say TTYD is dark while SPM is just dramatic and serious.

I'm not going to try and check all my errors with this post, but if anyone wants to correct me, you're free to.

In terms of characters, I don't get why everyone dislikes the "lackluster designs" when at least it's not a fucking Goomba or a Bob-omb with clothes or color changes for the third time.
Goombas and Bob-ombs are Mario enemies. Why do they not belong in a Mario game? Just because a design is new, that doesn't make it better.

Super Paper Mario had awful sharp geometric shapes for characters. They clashed horrendously with the more organic-looking Mario characters, and when making an artstyle, consistency is key. I think Super Paper Mario would have been far better off if everyone was geometrically designed, not just select enemies and NPCs.

But then they wouldn't be able to cash in on the Paper Mario brand!

I think she meant that Mario should look like this

Mario_Jump_Sketch.jpg

Drawn by a preschooler. Well, would fit in with the rest.

Holy flip, I leave for a few days, get a new laptop, and get my most popular thread. Wow...

Judging by the comments I've read about Sticker Star, people make it seem like it is the worst game ever made in the history of video games.

Back