worst Mario game?

As someone who's actually played Mario's Time Machine for an extended period of time (all three versions), calling any of the main games the worst in the franchise is not something I can agree with in the slightest.

Mario's Time Machine didn't influence the boring direction the entire franchise has been going in. It also doesn't have awful motion controls.

Salazzle said:
Also all of the NSMB series is so terrible and I will never see why people can like it unless nostalgia (my condolences if that's the case)
I also strongly disagree. The games play just as well as the previous games people hail to and have an adequate amount of content and just everything needed for at least a good game. The problem is not the execution but the context and the idea, that New Super Mario Bros. did little beyond reviving the 2D Mario platformers and adding the-much coveted simultaneous multiplayer and continued with little to add and may have started the homogenizing checklist of the Mario franchise, including a minimalist, predictable choice of characters and settings. Possibly. Though I still think New Super Mario Bros. gets way too much blame for that. It's not that different from the first four Super Mario titles IMO. And that's its problem.

I still think Mario multiplayer spinoffs are fun and I believe they're MY personal strong points. Mario would've had very little to offer if it weren't for its sport, kart, and party games.

i dont even consider the nsmb series bad its more of just... there if anything as to fill some gap in the lineup.

Zae Eildus said:
i dont even consider the nsmb series bad its more of just... there if anything as to fill some gap in the lineup.

Unrelated , but i recently read your comment about my avatar.

Thank you!

I can say the same for yours ♥

I still remember that he called Baby Luigi's avatars ugly and I thought he was referring to my avatars.

But yes, I agree with his assessment of New Super Mario Bros.. It's reasonable to say that.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I still remember that he called Baby Luigi's avatars ugly and I thought he was referring to my avatars.

Why don't I remember any of this?

And why do I suddenly feel like I want to set something on fire?

Swiftie_Luma said:
Zae Eildus said:

Unrelated , but i recently read your comment about my avatar.

Thank you!

I can say the same for yours ♥

no problem miss.

ah dark times i guess. >.>

Why don't I remember any of this?

And why do I suddenly feel like I want to set something on fire?

well if it makes you feel any better my views have changed. :)

But yes, I agree with his assessment of New Super Mario Bros.. It's reasonable to say that.

This reminds me that i used to hate the series but overtime and after some clear thinking it seems like they never made too much of an impact in terms of excite and nintendo actually hyping it, that and not really have its own unique identity compared with like galaxy or sm3dw and the new 3d mario being shown.

It kinda feels like they've given up on the 2d scene, what a shame.

Ah, I despised the series too, but we haven't gotten a game in years, and Newer Super Mario Bros. made me realize that you can achieve an excellent New Super Mario Bros. game. It's just that Nintendo is way too formulaic and it does seem like they don't actually care about their product beyond its printing money. So you get something that resembles a checklist. World themes? Check. Roller coaster level? Check. Dark level with a raft and/or lights? Check. A poison-water level with a raft thingy? Check. A sky level with dancing Mushrooms? Check. It gets so boring that seeing Mario climbing on a vine to get to outer space and then platforming space bits is so refreshing. Or you see a tiny Star Coin above a regular Buzzy Beetle, and you have to enter a tiny pipe, where you then see this Buzzy Beetle all huge and a normal sized star coin on top. Or the bosses are fire and ice balls that shoot projectiles, and you use a Yoshi that can grab these projectiles and spit them at the appropriate boss. Newer IS easier than New Super Mario Bros., sure, but it's more creative.

But man, if I wasn't convinced that they gave up on the 2D scene, Super Mario Run changed that. That, and I'm spoiled after 2D Rayman. And I'm a bit interested in Shantae but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Zae Eildus said:
well if it makes you feel any better my views have changed. :)

So has I ;)

I actuallly miss the classic 2d sprites in mario games plus i dont think the nsmb look was not very stylized or very charming as it just seemed kinda okay or just there i guess.

I know i can go to fangames for great 2d sprite mario games but after seeing sonic mania trailer over and over again it makes me wish for nintendo to throw their skills at it as well.

i always thought you were good in the views department anyway. :P

I'm not fond of the spritework in any of the Super Mario Bros. games, sadly. At least, just Mario's. I can't touch upon more. I don't like Mario's 8-bit sprite. Normal Mario's hat is too "flattened" and tiny and the hair looks off. Super Mario isn't that good either. Super Mario Bros. 2 is all right (a bit fat though). I don't like Mario's Super Mario Bros. 3 sprite; he looks too fat and his eyes are just dots... yawn. Super Mario World's is overused and too... pinkish, but okayish otherwise.

I do like some of the stuff I've seen in Spriters Resource, though! And I do like the Dream-Team style of sprites more than the previous Mario & Luigi games. Maybe I just don't like the simplicity of sprites. What's more, I don't like the animation style either in those games. It's just... I don't like it. Too frame-y.

Aren't you just burnt out from the dozens of M&L custom sprites?

You bet, and it's why seeing Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga-style sprites irk me to no end. They look pretty ugly compared to the later games. Mario's pupils are huge as hell, Luigi looks like he's constantly gaping, Bowser just looks weird and derpy, and the BeanBean look so out of place to the point I wish for Sticker Star Toads.

i i like super star sprites and smb3 sprites and all star sprites and yoshis island

*cowers in a corner*

Baby Mario's sprite in Yoshi's Island is bleh. Same goes for Baby Luigi. Very much prefer their Yoshi's Island DS sprites.

I'll smite you for Superstar Saga sprites, but the others, I can forgive. After all, I'm just pegging on Mario's sprites and the animation style of those games, not really the spritework themselves. I guess I'm looking for more sophisticated sprites.

Yoshi's Island spritework isn't that bad. But if Mario's in there, I'd probably criticize it. I don't know, maybe I'm just a perfectionist with unreasonable expectations on how Mario should look like. Sigh.

Well i guess my overall point is that they could do well then, so im curious to see how they do now.

Hotel Mario, those educational crap on DOS and Windows 95/Windows 98, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, and Paper Mario: Sticker Star are what come to mind.

You keep calling Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash the worst Mario game, but I strongly believe that it can't be the worst due to how much fun my twin and I had with it and how awesome the game plays and feels.

And if Ultra Smash really is the worst Mario game, it shows you how much of a quality franchise Mario is.

a game with a lack of content doesnt really make a bad game, underwhelming but not bad.

Bad would imply bad coding, terrible gameplay decisions, or god awful writing.

Which a lot of games on this thread don't even begin to qualify.

Back