The Incredibles 2 & Cars 3 announced

Woo the incredibles 2 [/pixarfanboy]

[pixarhater]

Howl said:
have you seen the iron giant? that's made by the director of ratatouille and the incredibles, and it's a really good 2d animated movie
no, i seem to recall watching a bit of it but i really don't remember anything about it
Howl said:
also, watch coraline. that's stop-motion. it's one of my favorite movies and one of the few movies that actually justifies the book its based on
oh that movie

i got bored and stopped watching it. nothing was scary (yet) and it was all just slow buildup to what i can predict would be "surprise! the nice other world is actually really bad! now go enjoy the real world you silly person"

coraline wasn't really about "oh stop playing in imagination"

i'm pretty sure both the book and the movie made it clear that coraline was neglected a lot in her regular world

instead coraline is about taking matters into your own hands, learning who you are, knowing not to trust strangers who also happen to have buttons in their eyes, etc

also it's about bravery and courage and the difference between the two (there's a whole big speech in the book about this that i think wasn't in the movie which makes me sad because it was a pretty good monologue)

Howl said:

i'm pretty sure both the book and the movie made it clear that coraline was neglected a lot in her regular world

instead coraline is about taking matters into your own hands, learning who you are, knowing not to trust strangers who also happen to have buttons in their eyes, etc

also it's about bravery and courage and the difference between the two (there's a whole big speech in the book about this that i think wasn't in the movie which makes me sad because it was a pretty good monologue)
I did enjoy Coraline

The Blackadder said:
Howl said:

I did enjoy Coraline

And the art style was pretty cool.

that's because it was stop-motion animation

well, most of it. obviously there were special effects

You ever read the book? It's f***ing terrifying. Especially the ending. To be honest, I didn't like the movie because it seemed to take a fundamentally dark and creepy novella and make it bright and cartoony. Just my opinion I guess; The artstyle is cool, but I didn't think it was appropriate.

ernesth100 said:
I dont think parents would let kids watch it if it was like the book.

Fair enough; but then why choose to use that book? Either you can stay true to the book, making your target audience more like "young adult/teen" or you can soften the horror elements, which is what they did. I think it would have been better to do the former; otherwise you are just twisting the original source material to meet your commercial needs. And that's the kind of bullshit I hate in book-to-movie adaptations. Either stay as true as possible to the original or leave it alone! (You may notice I don't like book-to-movie adaptations)

Amphituber said:
ernesth100 said:
I dont think parents would let kids watch it if it was like the book.

Fair enough; but then why choose to use that book? Either you can stay true to the book, making your target audience more like "young adult/teen" or you can soften the horror elements, which is what they did. I think it would have been better to do the former; otherwise you are just twisting the original source material to meet your commercial needs. And that's the kind of bullshit I hate in book-to-movie adaptations. Either stay as true as possible to the original or leave it alone! (You may notice I don't like book-to-movie adaptations)
coraline wasn't "softened"? i thought the movie was just as creepy as the book

Dr. Javelin said:
Howl said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Because I enjoy making lists so much, I present to you

JAVELIN'S TOP TEN ANIMATED FILMS
1. The Lego Movie
2. Up
3. Kung Fu Panda
3. Kung Fu Panda 2 (just as good as the first one)
5. Shrek 2
6. The Incredibles
7. Frozen
8. WALL-E
9. Toy Story 2 (I thought it was better than the first one, honestly)
10. How to Train Your Dragon
is this taking into account traditionally animated movies (2D) and stop-motion?
yes

i just haven't seen any that i really enjoyed. mulan was good, but not great

i think the only stopmotion i've seen was that stupid rudolph the red-nosed reindeer thing
haven't you ever seen wallace and gromit?

Howl said:

I'm mostly referring to the visual and overall tone, though there were some things they changed and added as well.

Amphituber said:
Howl said:

I'm mostly referring to the visual and overall tone, though there were some things they changed and added as well.
i'm not sure what you're talking about. i thought the visuals did a very good job of capturing the book, though i saw the movie first

Well, I guess the issue here is the disconnect in my mind between how I imagined the book and the movie interpretation. I personally like my version better but that doesn't make the movie bad, just different. All I'm saying is that I think their choice of bright colors in the movie clashes harshly with the tone of the book. It's just my opinion, I guess.

unless my memory is failing the only time the movie used "bright colors" were during the happy moments where the other mother was showing coraline all of the beautiful inventions she made

scott pilgrim vs the world did a pretty damn fine job of adapting the comics in my opinion

War Doctor said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Howl said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Because I enjoy making lists so much, I present to you

JAVELIN'S TOP TEN ANIMATED FILMS
1. The Lego Movie
2. Up
3. Kung Fu Panda
3. Kung Fu Panda 2 (just as good as the first one)
5. Shrek 2
6. The Incredibles
7. Frozen
8. WALL-E
9. Toy Story 2 (I thought it was better than the first one, honestly)
10. How to Train Your Dragon
is this taking into account traditionally animated movies (2D) and stop-motion?
yes

i just haven't seen any that i really enjoyed. mulan was good, but not great

i think the only stopmotion i've seen was that stupid rudolph the red-nosed reindeer thing
haven't you ever seen wallace and gromit?
no

i seem to recall some claymation movie about chickens escaping from meat pies that had a similar art style. i forget what it was called

Back