The Incredibles 2 & Cars 3 announced

Why can't Cars producers try a bit harder to exercise their creative potential? Like, maybe spinoffs such as Tanks, Boats, Submarines, Helicopters, Planes 2, Tanks 2, and Electrostatic Nuclear Accelerators?

P.S. At least The Incredibles ended on a cliff-hanger, but Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo do NOT need a sequel. I am very displeased with the number of sequels Pixar is churning out year after year.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
P.S. At least The Incredibles ended on a cliff-hanger, but Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo do NOT need a sequel. I am very displeased with the number of sequels Pixar is churning out year after year.

But there hasn't actually been a sequel to anything since 2011 (Monsters University was a prequel), and we won't see Finding Dory for another two years.

The number of sequels recently has been outnumbering more original movies. We got Toy Story 3, Cars 2, and Monsters University. We're going to get Finding Dory, Cars 3, and Incredibles 2, and only Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 3 seem valid. Pixar used to show a lot of restraint with sequels, but lately, this amount of sequels is more than I'm comfortable with.

We're also getting Inside Out and Good Dinosaur, I need to mention.

That's three sequels, and two original movies. Seems more or less balanced to me.

I prefer 4 original movies and 1 sequel. The ratio is not good, in my opinion.

Why can't Cars producers try a bit harder to exercise their creative potential? Like, maybe spinoffs such as Tanks, Boats, Submarines, Helicopters, Planes 2, Tanks 2, and Electrostatic Nuclear Accelerators?

only making sequels because of a cliffhanger is kinda silly in my opinion

i'm pretty sure the ending to the incredibles wasn't really supposed to be a cliffhanger but just illustrate that the incredibles were functioning both as a family and as a crime-fighting team and that they'd continue to defend the city

finding dory i think will be a good sequel because dory is a great character and can really be fleshed out

monsters university was not great and not necessary but i do think they did some good things with the movie

The Incredibles 2 is way overdue, if there was anyway pixar film that needed a sequal it would be this. I really need to see the first one again though.

Cars 3 on the other hand, WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE ANOTHER CARS FILM, THE FIRST FILM WAS DECENT BUT NO ONE SAW IT AS YOUR HIGHEST POINT BUT THEN YOU MAKE POINTLESS SQUEAL THAT WAS MUCH WORSE THAN THE FIRST ONE AND NOW YOUR GOING TO MAKE A THIRD ONE. HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT NO CARES ABOUT CARS ANYMORE.

NSY said:
The Incredibles 2 is way overdue, if there was anyway pixar film that needed a sequal it would be this. I really need to see the first one again though.

Cars 3 on the other hand, WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE ANOTHER CARS FILM, THE FIRST FILM WAS DECENT BUT NO ONE SAW IT AS YOUR HIGHEST POINT BUT THEN YOU MAKE POINTLESS SQUEAL THAT WAS MUCH WORSE THAN THE FIRST ONE AND NOW YOUR GOING TO MAKE A THIRD ONE. HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT NO CARES ABOUT CARS ANYMORE.
Obviously some people care otherwise they wouldn't bother making Cars 3. It'll probably get loads of money anyway no matter how good it is though.

NSY said:

ah yes, the franchise has only earned over $1 billion. obviously no one cares about cars

I wouldn't say that a worldwide gross of ~$560,000,000, which is actually more than the first grossed, means that "no [one] cares about Cars anymore."

Purple Yoshi said:
Well, Pixar has officially lost any form of artistic integrity that they used to have. Why can't they just give the Cars brand to Disney itself? It made Planes, after all. Who on EARTH in Pixar would actually want to work on a new Cars movie???

Incredibles 2 at least makes sense, because we have all the elements of a franchise. I just hope they don't
1. Add a love interest character to one of the kids, and have that be their only personality trait.
2. Have the movie focus on Bob's egotism now that he's in the spotlight again.
3. Give the characters completely different personalities from the last movie. Especially the kids.

Unfortunately, I don't have any high hopes anymore. What I want for Incredibles 2 is for it to talk about the mixed reaction to Supers coming back - like some people want them but others remember why they were forced into secret in the first place. And the story would basically be about how the Incredibles try to not repeat the past mistakes. And maybe it could also be about how superheroes and supervillains really aren't that different.

Ooh, that's a good idea! Have a former Super come back in the spotlight as a supervillain who wants to take revenge on the people who distrusted him and forced him into normal life. And it could be a parallel about how Bob wanted to desperately relive the glory days in the original movie.

Pixar, please listen to me! Please?
It's nice to see someone hold the same exact fears as me. I was actually on another forum where someone called me a hypocrite for pretty much saying what you said. Even in regards to The Incredibles 2; really, everyone is excited for it, but what I'm hoping is for a movie that ISN'T just a sequel, but continues to have that underlying concept and message that made the original so unique and stand out. Hell, it's the depth that Pixar movies used to have that that made it more then just fun family movies that is the reason why Pixar was so respected; there was more to Toy Story, Monster's Inc. (the first one, anyway), Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, WALL-E and Up then just funny characters doing crazy/adventurous things. I feel like Brave TRIED to be like that but didn't quite make the mark.

As for Cars, supposedly, John Lasseter is a huge fan of cars in general, hence why he made the original one. Ironic that a movie that seemed more personal then Toy Story or A Bug's Life ended up being the weakest non-sequel entry in the Pixar canon. this might also explain why he was involved in all subsequent Cars movies... including the spin-off Planes, which wasn't even made by Pixar. Is the guy who tired Disney around losing it?

Howl said:
lasseter also made frozen though
He was an "Executive Producer"... And while the range of what an executive producer does varies from movie to movie, I highly doubt he was THAT involved in the writer, directing, animating process. :/

Directed by Chris Buck
Jennifer Lee
Produced by Peter Del Vecho
Screenplay by Jennifer Lee
Story by Chris Buck
Jennifer Lee
Shane Morris

So does anyone think thisll be like 20 years later because I think so. Like everyones all old and stuff.

Also Incredibles NEEDS A PREQUEL LIKE RIGHT NOW!

Howl said:

only making sequels because of a cliffhanger is kinda silly in my opinion

i'm pretty sure the ending to the incredibles wasn't really supposed to be a cliffhanger but just illustrate that the incredibles were functioning both as a family and as a crime-fighting team and that they'd continue to defend the city
That was also my impression.

this topic has done something i didnt expect

more bitching about cars and less excitement for the incredibles 2

what a fine way to pass the time

Dr. Javelin said:
I thought you were used to disliking things that were popular? : P

i just like what i like

being popular or not has nothing to do with it

besides i havent seen the incredibles OR cars so i really have no idea whats better

You should. The Incredibles is one of the best animated movies out there.

Not to mention the soundtrack is awesome, it's like a super fast-paced Mission Impossible James Bond jazz theme.

Back