General Science Discussion Thread!

Chuck Ballymoo said:
I believe creation because for one reason the vast majority of people believe ghosts exist. So if there are spirits, logically that means there is a creator spirit. I have heard the most prominent atheist on YouTube say that he knows from personal experience ghosts are real, but he still thinks God is bullsh!t. And to this I say WTF. I am really puzzled by such a contradiction.

As for ghosts existing, it cannot be proven 100% to all in the world the same way God cannot be. Spirits cannot be recorded on cameras. But sometimes the human eye can see them. Yes, sometimes people can be hoaxed, and sometimes people can mistake something natural for supernatural. But millions upon millions upon millions upon millions of people throughout world history who have claimed to see them do not fall only into those two categories. At least, not logically.
Millions of people have also claimed to have seen bigfoot, the loch ness monster, el chupacabra and a bunch of other stupid shit that isn't real

ladies and gentlemen, meet nessie

humpback_whale_1.jpg

whales frequently wander into loch ness, every couple months some poor whale gets lost and finds its way through the canal into the lake
no monster

that was a fraud
the famous photo everyone thinks of, was confirmed a fraud

the accounts of people who really thought they saw a creature, depicted it as serpentine, sometimes with fins or humps, no head sticking out

Chuck Ballymoo said:
Is there proof angels and demons exist?
[...]
You could say that someone who is truly suffering from horrible psychosis is causing an object to levitate by tapping into undiscovered parts of the brain
There is no proof.

Also, the bolded part reminds me of one of the stupidest statements that people believe in, the "we use only 10% of our brain" total male cow fecal matter. We use ALL of our brain, we tap into ALL of our brain, just at different times. Anyone who believes this 10% myth without doing any research probably uses only a small fraction of the brain, anyway.

Just because a lot of people believe in something doesn't mean it is correct. This can be derived from culture, the human tendency to see patterns, and the human brain's tendency to recognize faces on a lot of things.

This is different from a scientific consensus, by the way.

for the record i was joking

water bears could go extinct seriously they're so damn terrifying

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52392000/jpg/_52392786_c0089246-spl.jpg

7-water-bear-eye-of-science-and-science-source.jpg

tumblr_mmfq0rF0wk1s8ksvfo5_400.jpg

bearp.jpg

that last one's not really a water bear but still

Hypochondriac Mario said:
Chuck Ballymoo said:
[...]
You could say that someone who is truly suffering from horrible psychosis is causing an object to levitate by tapping into undiscovered parts of the brain
There is no proof.

Also, the bolded part reminds me of one of the stupidest statements that people believe in, the "we use only 10% of our brain" total male cow fecal matter. We use ALL of our brain, we tap into ALL of our brain, just at different times. Anyone who believes this 10% myth without doing any research probably uses only a small fraction of the brain, anyway.

Just because a lot of people believe in something doesn't mean it is correct. This can be derived from culture, the human tendency to see patterns, and the human brain's tendency to recognize faces on a lot of things.

I had an entire class who thought that was true but if you only used 10% of your brain you couldn't function like at all

Refrigerator Kirby said:
Hypochondriac Mario said:
Chuck Ballymoo said:
[...]
There is no proof.

I had an entire class who thought that was true but if you only used 10% of your brain you couldn't function like at all

Ok, so today:

"We use only 10% of our brains."

Myth busted.

Pretty much

Dr. Murder said:
I could understand "You use 10% of your capacities" better than your brain.

It actually depends on what activity you're doing

10% is such a round number. That's another reason to be skeptical of such claims of the usage percentage of the brain (and that claim is pulled not from the brain, but from the lower colon).

So I was watching a show and they said by the year 2045 I think humans and robots will be able to fuse. So would you put your brain in a robot body?

Back