General Science Discussion Thread!

...what about them?

ernesth100 said:
^Ruined the mood but anyway. How come certain ocean creatures can travel to depths that would crush a human or machine.
Well, I think they rely on the ocean pressure to support their body instead. The blobfish, for instance, relies on the intense pressure. Otherwise, it just collapses, just like that well-known picture of it.

ernesth100 said:
Is it possible humans could still evolve into a superior species? Infact does anyone believe in the evolution theory?

Of course I believe in evolution

Problem is, humans are already a superior species. We may be physically weak, but, as it's shown, intelligence beats brawn in the evolution scale, which is why we can basically kill any creature thanks to our technology we can create due to our intelligence and why we are considered the dominant species. A species with favorable natural selection will be able to reproduce the most effectively and we humans have been reproducing pretty damn great.

The evolution process takes tens of thousands of years: humans don't evolve into a superior species in a century, y'know.

If your are wondering whether or not our species will become more advanced than it is, that depends on how our circumstances change. Evolution occurs partly in response to a changing environment. Exposed to a change long enough, we will physically adapt to it (unless we use technology to adapt to it), and the ability to adapt to that specific change becomes something that is passed to our offspring.

Baby Luigi said:
ernesth100 said:
Is it possible humans could still evolve into a superior species? Infact does anyone believe in the evolution theory?

Problem is, humans are already a superior species. We may be physically weak, but, as it's shown, intelligence beats brawn in the evolution scale, which is why we can basically kill any creature thanks to our technology we can create due to our intelligence and why we are considered the dominant species. A species with favorable natural selection will be able to reproduce the most effectively and we humans have been reproducing pretty dang great.

The evolution process takes tens of thousands of years: humans don't evolve into a superior species in a century, y'know.
Is it fair to compare humans to non-humans? And yes we could kill every other animal. But in doing so if would not be long before we died too.

Wasnt really the point but yea that is true.

How long do you think it would take to make another planet suitable for human life? Could we make artificial water, because water is a must for human survival.

We can't even properly manage our resources here. We've been looking for planets with conditions similar to Earth's to save us some of the work.

Chuck Ballymoo said:
Baby Luigi said:
ernesth100 said:

Problem is, humans are already a superior species. We may be physically weak, but, as it's shown, intelligence beats brawn in the evolution scale, which is why we can basically kill any creature thanks to our technology we can create due to our intelligence and why we are considered the dominant species. A species with favorable natural selection will be able to reproduce the most effectively and we humans have been reproducing pretty dang great.

Is it fair to compare humans to non-humans? And yes we could kill every other animal. But in doing so if would not be long before we died too.
unless we switched to vegetarianism
Mario4Ever said:
We can't even properly manage our resources here. We've been looking for planets with conditions similar to Earth's to save us some of the work.
Of course, we still haven't figured out how to actually get to said planets at any sort of speed.

That's true (one could say that's because we haven't found one worth going to, but I think that the space program's priorities aren't in order in this regard).

idk why we should be spending money on finding another planet already though. ours is working pretty well at the moment

also our economy isn't doing very well. long-term projects are for when we're doing well economically, and preferably when we have a surplus (although i doubt i'll see that happen in my lifetime, unless america stumbles upon a bunch of unobtainium or something)

Well I geuss were stuck here for a few decades. Now is it true that a cloned human can only live to be as old as the person (whos dna was used to make the clone) was?

Human cloning is a forbidden science and no one has ever (publicly) experimented with it.

As such we honestly have no idea.

Chuck Ballymoo said:
Is it fair to compare humans to non-humans?

Yes because we're all animals nonetheless.

Thrawn said:
idk why we should be spending money on finding another planet already though.

I guess one of the reasons we are looking for another habitable planet is because if we do, it'll reveal much information of what we know about the universe.

also because it's a great economic opportunity, because you can find a limited resource and sell it to a market that has no other way of obtaining said resource

i love capitalism, it's great

Europa, yes. But we already have plenty of water here! That's no good for making money.

...unless I started a business selling people Europan water that was exactly the same as Earth water. They'll just by it because SPACE

Triton is one of Neptune's moons (the reason for that is easy to guess).

Thrawn said:
Europa, yes. But we already have plenty of water here! That's no good for making money.

...unless I started a business selling people Europan water that was exactly the same as Earth water. They'll just by it because SPACE
Jack people make money putting water in bottles

Back