General Science Discussion Thread!

On one hand I'd love to have a longer lifespan but as a christian I dont wanna go against nature.

Because those two aren't colors, technically.

White basically means all light wavelengths combined, so that's why it reflects everything. Whereas, black means no light wavelength which is why it absorbs all colors of the light.

Nothing found so far, but it's theorized that if we can go faster than light, we would be able to time travel.

Light has virtually no mass, so yeah, light speed travel is basically impossible.

The problem is, like reaching absolute zero temperatures, is that it gets exponentially more difficult to remove any last traces of mass

Btw, there's no such thing as zero gravity. When you're in the space station, you're still feeling gravitational effects from Earth and the Sun. It's not as strong as standing on Earth, but it's still there.

ernesth100 said:
So I was watching a show and they said by the year 2045 I think humans and robots will be able to fuse. So would you put your brain in a robot body?
The brain is the only thing I want to preserve since it's responsible for all my dreams, perception, etc. If my brain can still be alive, it would be a great thing since I can continue pursuing creative interests.

Baby Luigi said:
Btw, there's no such thing as zero gravity. When you're in the space station, you're still feeling gravitational effects from Earth and the Sun. It's not as strong as standing on Earth, but it's still there.
what most people consider "zero gravity" is technically "negligible gravity"

i'm not sure that you needed to clear this up though

Thrawn said:
Baby Luigi said:
what most people consider "zero gravity" is technically "negligible gravity"

i'm not sure that you needed to clear this up though

He mentioned "eliminating mass via zero gravity to travel at the speed of light"

First, mass and weight are two totally different measurements. Mass still stays the same regardless of gravity, weight is dependent on gravity

Second, he has the wrong idea of zero gravity: how we seem to weigh less in space so that means we can travel faster.

I already told him that eliminating mass gets exponentially more difficult the closer you reach to zero

well, if we're going to get technical here then i'll correct you

when you're on the space station earth's gravity is almost just as powerful as it is when you're on the surface. it's just it appears that you are hovering because when you're in orbit, you're moving ludicrously fast so before you fall to the surface you fall around the other side of the planet

because their anatomy is suited to a greater water pressure level than humans are used to, because humans live in an environment that has a lower pressure level

if humans evolved in africa and in the desert, why are our hands and feet slightly webbed and why do we cry salt tears like ocean water?

Back