General Science Discussion Thread!

ohhh yeah i see what you mean

thanks for the clarification there

but another question. lets say immortality someone becomes a thing. will that mean we cease to age and could live forever or could we still die from fatal things like stabs or explosions and bullets?

Immortality in the traditional sense would not halt the aging process or make us invulnerable. We would just not die (overpopulation would be a major issue without proper management of resources, and we haven't managed to achieve that with our limited lives).

Biologically, there wouldn't be one.

The Robot Masters said:
Evolution or Creationism?
0bd0dda3_30621480.jpeg
I started a revolution lol.

Castiel said:
Mario4Ever said:
Biologically, there wouldn't be one.
what do you mean by this

we live forever and cannot die in any way so yes making babies would be redundant.

Unless we wanted to overpopulate the planet anyway.

Passing on one's genes would be unnecessary if no one could die (though in countries in which survival isn't at risk, it's not a primary motivation for having kids, anyway).

Ninja'd.

thats actually kinda scary to think of, being immortal

we'd live through EVERYTHING like even the apocalypse

we could essentially be gods

people wouldn't ever stop reproducing no matter what unless if made infertile, so people would often be hauled off or like evaporated for space

Castiel said:
thats actually kinda scary to think of, being immortal

we'd live through EVERYTHING like even the apocalypse

we could essentially be gods

people wouldn't ever stop reproducing no matter what unless if made infertile, so people would often be hauled off or like evaporated for space

well being immortal doesnt mean we're gods though.

As gods can manipulate all kinds of things such as fire, water, lightning, oxygen and even reality itself.

Immortal is just there to not die, period.

Fighter Zae said:
As gods can manipulate all kinds of things such as fire, water, lightning, oxygen and even reality itself.

We technically have manipulated all of those.

Mario4Ever said:
Fighter Zae said:

We technically have manipulated all of those.

Well it really depends on the mythology but yes.

I'm not talking about mythology. I'm talking about scientific experimentation and application (manipulation, remember, can be defined as controlling something using your hands or a machine, which we have done).

oh okay

although we only manipulated those through tools, we cant do it otherwise however.

Which is what im referring to.

We're not gods no matter how great with tools we create.

Sadly however the likes of gods, angels, demons, and after life cant be proven or disproven.

Well, it depends on how you define "god," but schools of thought related to that (as far as I know) aren't scientific and thus have no bearing on this thread.

Mario4Ever said:
Well, it depends on how you define "god," but schools of thought related to that (as far as I know) aren't scientific and thus have no bearing on this thread.

Yeah but most people define god as a supreme divine force that created all things mortal.

But yeah i just wanted to say something, im out now.

Oh, hey, it's Yagyuu.

Yes, in that sense, we aren't gods.

Anna said:
But atoms are smaller than the wavelengths of light. No matter how good the microscope may be, a single Atom is not visible. Saying that people have seen atoms is incorrect. We have detected the presence of atoms, but seen it with our own eyes? No.

They even made a small animation using only atoms the other year

atom-movie.jpg

Look. It's atoms. Right there. We got a picture of them. Again, please actually research the shit you're pretending to know.

Evolution is just a theory. That means it isn't real.

So are gravity and the shape of the earth.

I'm flying right now and I see that the earth is shaped like God.

On-topic:

Do you think global warming exists?

It's no doubt we're experiencing it right now. And we're causing it (unsure about the extent, but no doubt we're contributing).

Of course it exists. The data don't lie.

I'm outta here if you ask if it's artificial or not

Baby Luigi said:
Of course it exists. The data don't lie.

I'm outta here if you ask if it's artificial or not
"The IPCC's attribution of recent global warming to human activities is a view shared by most scientists,[5][6]:2[7] and is also supported by 196 other scientific organizations worldwide[8] (see also: scientific opinion on climate change)."

Don't know if skeptical science is valid (pretty sure it is), but here.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus.htm

I dunno, I think naming it "Climate change" is less biased than "global warming".

Besides, haven't we gotten cleaner and greener than ever?

Morty said:
Anna said:
But atoms are smaller than the wavelengths of light. No matter how good the microscope may be, a single Atom is not visible. Saying that people have seen atoms is incorrect. We have detected the presence of atoms, but seen it with our own eyes? No.

They even made a small animation using only atoms the other year

atom-movie.jpg

Look. It's atoms. Right there. We got a picture of them. Again, please actually research the shit you're pretending to know.

I do do my research, thank you very much.

As I said in my previous message, we can detect the presence of atoms, like that above.

However, I don't see any protons, or neutrons, or electrons, or any of that, do you? This what you are showing me is like viewing a person from a plane. Yeah, you can see it, but you can only barely make it out.

So don't tell me that I don't know my shit. Maybe I'm not the one that needs to do more research.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
On-topic:

Do you think global warming exists?

It's no doubt we're experiencing it right now. And we're causing it (unsure about the extent, but no doubt we're contributing).

I know the basic stuff about Global Warning and how it's affecting the polar ice caps and oceans and stuff. I do think that there are climate changes, whether naturally or man-made I don't know.

Whether or not it's true does not mean that people shouldn't care about the enivornment and do at least do a little bit on their part with helping out.

Anna said:
I do do my research, thank you very much.

As I said in my previous message, we can detect the presence of atoms, like that above.

However, I don't see any protons, or neutrons, or electrons, or any of that, do you? This what you are showing me is like viewing a person from a plane. Yeah, you can see it, but you can only barely make it out.

So don't tell me that I don't know my shit. Maybe I'm not the one that needs to do more research.

Unless you're expecting me to do research on your personal grammar quirks, there's nothing else I should've done. You're being nitpicky, and your analogy makes no sense; me seeing a person from a plane is still me seeing a person. And even then, you're still saying that we can only detect the presence of atoms when I literally just showed you a picture of actually an atom and here's a full page of stuff that explains it. In addition, as for the electrons and such, those are remarkably smaller than the atom's nucleus. I'm personally not sure if scientists have visualized those yet, and I'm not gonna say one way or another because I don't know that information and that's typically how things should work.

Back