Gabrielle Giffords shot

Did you see the interview with that lady on Keith Olbermann last night? Incredible story. She and a few other unarmed people took him down. She looked to be in her 70s.

She wasn't killed, but 6 people were, including a 9-year-old girl born on 9/11.

Arizona is in need of it big time. Not even the military found him to be stable enough, and yet somehow he got his hands on semi automatics.

Interesting. Why do our statesmen and stateswomen fail to interpret the Constitution as it was intended?

Good question. I've often been of the opinion that many of them interpret it in ways that their lobbyists want them to interpret it in. Or in ways that benefit them politically. It's an unfortunate symptom of the political atmosphere of our country, that's for sure.

Bowser Koopa said:
Good question. I've often been of the opinion that many of them interpret it in ways that their lobbyists want them to interpret it in. Or in ways that benefit them politically. It's an unfortunate symptom of the political atmosphere of our country, that's for sure.
Sometimes I wish we had an Athenian democracy.

Right, because cramming billions of people into a convention hall would totally work better.

God said:
Bowser Koopa said:
Sometimes I wish we had an Athenian democracy.
Were political jobs in Athenian Democracy as well paid as the ones we have now? Or were they for the most part, volunteer? By volunteer, I mean something that doesn't exactly pay lavishly, and is for the most part... like volunteer work. Basically, merely for the greater good.

By the by, what was the role of the lobbyist in Athenian Democracy? The most I know about it, is that it was more so in the hands of the people than our American Republic.

Herr Shyguy said:
Right, because cramming billions of people into a convention hall would totally work better.
Actually about 3/10 of a billion.

And yes it would work better. Or at least some sort of referendum.

Britain said:
including a 9-year-old girl born on 9/11.
She went to the same school I did when I lived in Tucson. Kinda weirded me out a bit.

Reminds me of the time I had heard about those kids that got run over by a train in my old neighborhood. It's a somewhat surreal feeling indeed.

God said:

This is funny.

Corruption will always exist in our form of a republic, but it's certainly a lot better than giving each moron in the country a say on every matter.

I remember when this just happened and I was surfin' and crap and found a link to the guy's [gunman] youtube account, there was stuff about how the world was wrong, what was wrong with society and stuff about communism iirc and stuff... can't remember all of it, but it was weird anyway

God said:
Herr Shyguy said:

Wait, you're serious aren't you?

Ninji said:
God said:

This is funny.

Corruption will always exist in our form of a republic, but it's certainly a lot better than giving each moron in the country a say on every matter.
In a semi Huxleyan society like ours, yeah.

In a well educated society, the latter would most definitely be preferable.

Bowser Koopa said:
Ninji said:
God said:

This is funny.

In a semi Huxleyan society like ours, yeah.

In a well educated society, the latter would most definitely be preferable.

Even then, it really isn't. It's so disorganized and, while good in theory, it would be incredibly difficult to find a practical method for its usage. Granted, it would be much easier in our time period today than others, but I digress.

Back