My Recent Computer Woes

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Alright, I feel like talking about my latest woes so here it goes.

My computer's hard drive got fried so I sent it to Geek Squad. Good news is, I got a replacement hard drive and they can retrieve all my documents, pictures, music, etc. that was on my old one. The bad news it, it's a long process that will take about 4 weeks and will cost me up to $500! ...My mom was nice enough to pay for it, as a birthday present.

But it didn't stop there. About 2 days after using it, it nearly gets infected by a Trojan horse, and as a result, this Microsoft "QuickThink" or whatever keeps bugging me to buy and install it to protect my computer. I can't even surf the web until I buy it.

So I'm sending it back to Geek Squad to fix the problem and install Norton Anti-virus free of charge.

Until I get it back, I'm using my parents' computer... Except it almost got infected with a Trojan horse as well. Their computer has Norton, though, so I'm not TOO worried, but still, this keeps happening!

Strangely enough, both times it happened, I was on deviantART... What's up with that?

But I go there all the time, and it's never happened before. Though apparently, some other people have had similar problems.

deviant.cwgi

Works fine for me.
Try a different browser.
If that doesn't help, try downloading an ISO of Ubuntu, or something like that, burn it on a CD, and boot it without installation.

To avoid screaming: Downloading ISO's of Ubuntu is legal, since it's completely free of charge.

I got a virus from there once, but it never fried my hard drive. It was just a matter of doing a system restore.

I now read about Norton.
I remember having Norton in my early days, it just slows your PC down by 60% or more, and it doesn't scan the latest virusses that accurate.
My parents both run Avast 4.8, and they're happy with that.

Back