Super Mario Mon! "Pokemon Mario-ized!" (Playable download inside)

Note: I am not promoting roms, as my game is an ips file and not a rom.

Welcome to the Mushroom Kingdom in this all new hack of Pokemon Fire Red. The main feature of this game is the addition of 150 all new pokemon, all based on Super Mario enemies and characters. Goomba, Bob-omb, Bowser...Battle, collect, and train them all in this hack! If you love Pokemon and Mario, then this game is for you.

Features:

-150 all new MarioMon, including sprites, evolutions, stats, and attacks.
-MUCH more balanced gameplay, with each fully evolved MarioMon roughly equaling each other in total stats.
-Quality of life edits, such as the removal of the trainer that teaches you how to catch pokemon.
-Minor enviromental and scripting hacks.

Screenshots:

mariomonbeta6.png

mariomonbeta5.png

mariomonbeta7.png

mariomonbeta4.png

mariomonbeta1.png

mariomonbeta3.png

mariomonbeta2.png

Trailer:

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RK12OMP5

Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R1U4VBG6

Feel free to comment, I'm interested in what you guys think. ^_^

Disclaimer: Mario and Pokemon are the property of Nintendo and Gamefreak.

I approve of this.

starters =
thumbup.gif

Also I like that you chose to hack gen I. Gen I> all.

I'm actually partial to Gen II actually, but I gotta admit I can't live without the changes they've made in the later Gens. Hell, even something as simple as dividing all the elements into having physical and special attacks made it obnoxious to assign attacks. Attacks that make perfect sense for the character will all of a sudden suck based on whether they're a physical or special pokemon. >_<

Stuff like special Dark really were baffling, yeah.

About the hack, though, I'm doing a Nuzlocke PT of it, actually, and maybe I just got unlucky with the Pokemon I was stuck with, but almost all of them didn't get more than 3 moves (not attacks, I had even less attacks) until around Level 15. I was also a bit disappointed that my starter was easily the first of my Pokemon to evolve, meaning there was no earlygame Pokemon that evolved very early I could rely on to help my other Pokemon out in a pinch like a Butterfree or something. I do, however, like how many types are available early on. Most of the time, the games spam Normal, Flying, Bug types at you, but here, I've seen wild Fire-types, Electric-types, Water-types, Ghost-types, and even Dark-types. Some of the sprites fit very well (a lot of the SMW/Yoshi's Island sprites are good here), but then there are some like the Bob-Ombs that are pretty bad. For the bob-omb in particular, I think that Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga will have sprites of a much higher quality than what you have now.

Oh, and what typing are Buster-Beetles? I was only able to beat the one the camper in Brock's Gym has because I poisoned it.

Sableye said:
Stuff like special Dark really were baffling, yeah.

About the hack, though, I'm doing a Nuzlocke PT of it, actually, and maybe I just got unlucky with the Pokemon I was stuck with, but almost all of them didn't get more than 3 moves (not attacks, I had even less attacks) until around Level 15. I was also a bit disappointed that my starter was easily the first of my Pokemon to evolve, meaning there was no earlygame Pokemon that evolved very early I could rely on to help my other Pokemon out in a pinch like a Butterfree or something. I do, however, like how many types are available early on. Most of the time, the games spam Normal, Flying, Bug types at you, but here, I've seen wild Fire-types, Electric-types, Water-types, Ghost-types, and even Dark-types. Some of the sprites fit very well (a lot of the SMW/Yoshi's Island sprites are good here), but then there are some like the Bob-Ombs that are pretty bad. For the bob-omb in particular, I think that Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga will have sprites of a much higher quality than what you have now.

Oh, and what typing are Buster-Beetles? I was only able to beat the one the camper in Brock's Gym has because I poisoned it.

Thanks for the critique Sableye! For the most part, every mariomon learns more attacks in the long run, but I can see what you're saying. I should front load the moves they learn in the beginning just so it doesn't take them untill lv. 20 to have a full move set, especially with the early game Mariomon. Noted and will be fixed when I finnally get to the next version of the game. ^_^

There aren't any real like fully evolved pokemon at lv. 10, but the 2 stage evolution and no evolution mariomon are typically a bit stronger then the rest in the early game, so it balances out if you need something to save you. But then again, I've also included quite a few counters for the early gym and trainer types in the game so you don't really need a butterfree to beat brock this time.

Yeah, bob-omb was one of the few ones where I tried inserting a bitmap artwork file into the game instead of standard sprites...which, didn't turn out so hot. ^_^;; I definitly wanna change him a little bit down the line, especially considering bob-omb is my favorite mario character. XD

And buster beetle or buzzy beetle? The former is bug/fighting and the later is bug/rock

videogamerpat said:
Thanks for the critique Sableye!

Don't mention it. I really am having an enjoyable time with it, though. Good work on it.

For the most part, every mariomon learns more attacks in the long run, but I can see what you're saying. I should front load the moves they learn in the beginning just so it doesn't take them untill lv. 20 to have a full move set, especially with the early game Mariomon. Noted and will be fixed when I finnally get to the next version of the game. ^_^

That's good to hear. I realize there are always going to be some Pokemon with shallow movesets and the likes, but it was just a little aggravating to only have Tackle for almost every Pokemon until I reached Mt. Moon.

There aren't any real like fully evolved pokemon at lv. 10, but the 2 stage evolution and no evolution mariomon are typically a bit stronger then the rest in the early game, so it balances out if you need something to save you. But then again, I've also included quite a few counters for the early gym and trainer types in the game so you don't really need a butterfree to beat brock this time.

That's true. It's very diverse early on though if I see one more Goomba, Toad, or Koopa, I'm just going to flip. I also enjoy how you alter the environments slightly at places to show you why certain Mario enemies appear where (rain in Viridian Forest, etc.), though it's a bit funny seeing Bug Catchers running around with Bloopers, of course.

Yeah, bob-omb was one of the few ones where I tried inserting a bitmap artwork file into the game instead of standard sprites...which, didn't turn out so hot. ^_^;; I definitly wanna change him a little bit down the line, especially considering bob-omb is my favorite mario character. XD

Most of the other sprites are fine so far. That one in particular just bugged me a bit.

Sableye said:
That's true. It's very diverse early on though if I see one more Goomba, Toad, or Koopa, I'm just going to flip. I also enjoy how you alter the environments slightly at places to show you why certain Mario enemies appear where (rain in Viridian Forest, etc.), though it's a bit funny seeing Bug Catchers running around with Bloopers, of course.

I'm definitely gonna alter those sprites later down the road. When I add the new story I'm cookin' up, it won't even make sense for you to be playin' pokemon against humans. =P

As for what pokemon the trainers use... that's a bit more difficult.. I'm still learning the ropes of pokemon hacking, and changing the pokemon the trainer uses can get a bit messy... I'm lookin' into though.

Untill then, the blandness of the trainer pokemon is only as bad as it was in the original game. =P

You're right about the trainer blandness in the original. I know this is just an early version of it, and thus, something like that probably won't be finished until now. Just mentioning that.

Also, I started pondering why I'm battling other humans with these "Pokemon" as soon as someone offered to trade a Fawful for my Flurry. It seems we're slave owners.

First you need to download a FireRed ROM, patch the IPS to it, and then run it with a GBA emulator.

Desukaan said:
Don't bump topics
for stupid reasons.

And don't go locking topics like this Ninji. We got rid of necroposting rules, and someone might want to make a valid post sometime.

1) Get a GBA emulator. I use Visualboy Advance.
2) Get a Pokemon FireRed ROM. This is the illegal part.
3) Download the IPS patch that I'm pretty sure is linked to in the opening post.
4) Download Lunar IPS to apply the MarioMon patch.
5) Use Lunar to apply the patch.

We did a huge revision of the rules a while back. You were there.

Back