Thom Yorke's 100 Favorite Songs

Inspiredby BHS's many "Top [number] [genre] Songs" threads on Xephyr, I decided to make this. It is not in any particular order, I'll just put my one hundred favorite songs on here in any order I please.

With each post here, I'll add four songs to the list. Okay... here goes.

Once And For All - Foo Fighters
Foos-ESPG.jpg

Album: Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace
Genre(s): Alternative

An epic anthem by the Foo Fighters, the sort of song that makes you want to go and kick some ass. While standing on a tank. And taking on the combined forces of evil. With a really big gun. The only reason this song was just a B-side was because the rest of the album somehow managed to be even more awesome that this song. And that's saying something.

Let it Die - Foo Fighters
LetItDieCover.jpg

Album: Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace
Genre(s): Alternative

Yes, another Foo Fighters song- from the same album, too. Why? Because the Foo Fighters are awesome. Let it Die is a classic, without a doubt. Grohl utilizes the Pixies’ style of soft verses and loud choruses here: the verses are mournful (heart of gold but it lost its pride/beautiful veins and bloodshot eyes/I see your face in another light/why’d you have to go and let it die) and the choruses are loud, bitter, and sarcastic (did you ever think of me/you’re so considerate/did you ever think of me/oh so considerate). It’s brilliant, and definitely deserves its place as a single.

Queen Bitch - David Bowie
David_Bowie_-_Hunky_Dory.jpg

Album: Hunky Dory
Genre(s): Glam rock

Here’s some David Bowie. Queen Bitch is one of the best glam rock songs I’ve ever heard. It has a rather humorous chorus, with Bowie lamenting the titular character’s lack of fashion sense. There’s not much else to say here, other than… go listen to it. Now.

Life on Mars – David Bowie
Bowie_LifeOnMars.jpg

Album: Hunky Dory
Genre(s): Glam rock

It had a TV show named after it. It was number one on Telegraph’s 100 Greatest Songs of All Time list. It’s also really freaking awesome. Though Bowie has written many, many great songs in his career, in my opinion, Life on Mars was his best. So... yeah. Tune in next time for the next four songs! We'll be seeing some Rise Against and Radiohead...

Tabuuownsall132x2 said:
ftw so far, SvS. :D
Thank you, thank you. I'll have the next four up soon.

Would I be correct in saying that I am allowed to double post on this thread, due to it being a "project thread"?

You're not very good with genres, but still, great songs so far.

Blue Monday said:
You're not very good with genres, but still, great songs so far.
Which ones did I get wrong?

With each post here, I'll add four songs to the list. Okay... here goes.
I find one song per post is more efficient; I like having users (read as; Stooben) comment on the one song instead of fixating on ONE of the songs posted and ignoring the rest.

Genre(s): Post-grunge, alternative
Alternative rock.

An epic anthem by the Foo Fighters
Anthem? It was just a tacked on b-side track to their most unimpressive album; That an anthem does not make.

the sort of song that makes you want to go and kick some ass. While standing on a tank. And taking on the combined forces of evil. With a really big gun.
Uhhh... No, it's a really, really tame song. The lyrics may be inspiring, but not THAT inspiring.

Genre(s): Post-grunge, alternative
Would be post-grunge if not for the extremely strong emphasis on acoustics, so it's alternative rock. But don't worry, the two genres sound way too similar these days.

Let it Die is a classic, without a doubt.
Good song, yes, but it's hardly a Foo Fighters classic. You want a Foo Fighters classic? Try "I'll Stick Around" or "Everlong", from their 1995 album Foo Fighters and 1997 album The Colour and the Shape respectively. Incidently, these were the band's best albums, particularly the former.

It’s brilliant, and definitely deserves its place as a single.
Singles are only for promotion of the album and chosen solely by their commercial appeal and accessibility, not because the song is better than all the other tracks.

Genre(s): Glam
Don't you mean 'glam rock'?

Queen Bitch is one of the best glam rock songs I’ve ever heard.
I prefer early glam metal myself, but David Bowie is definitely the king of glam rock.

It has a rather humorous chorus, with Bowie lamenting the titular character’s lack of fashion sense.
Bowie is always funny.

There’s not much else to say here, other than… go listen to it. Now.
What a silly thing to say. No one on this forum is going to listen to it; They be too closed-minded, my friend.

Genre(s): Glam
Again, glam rock.

It had a TV show named after it.
If you type "Life on Mars" on Wikipedia, you get an article describing man's desire to allow humanity to live on Mars. What a silly article.

Though Bowie has written many, many great songs in his career, in my opinion, Life on Mars was his best.
"Heroes" would like to have a word with you. Seriously, his Berlin trilogy were the best albums he ever made.

We'll be seeing some Rise Against and Radiohead...
The gist of these lists is to NOT give the next songs away.

'k, thanks. I'll edit it in a little while.

Back