What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

GalacticPetey said:
It's gotten pretty mixed reception. A lot of people took issue with Ultron not being threatening, too many quips, too much exposition for Infinity War, etc.

:(

i liked him anyway, although those are good points i suppose

Consider me in the camp that liked Ultron. He wasn't as menacing as the trailer's made him out to be, but Ultron could have easily been a soulless, generic evil robot that wanted to take over the world. I'm glad they made him memorable at least. And he was definitely intimidating in certain scenes.

The quips, from everyone, were a little much. I was fine with them in The Avengers, but this was pushing it. Thor joking about running out of things to say as he's being choked by Ultron was the worst for me. The Zucchini line also made me roll my eyes.

People also took issue with the sudden Hulk / Widow romance, but I was indifferent. Kinda wish we had a movie beforehand for that to be fleshed out.

Only Yesterday

Nabber said:
it was good

maybe a bit overhyped

was rather uneven in places

how did you like the full 10 minute scene where theyre driving in a car and talking

maybe it wasnt quite 10 minutes but you probably know which one im talking about

the mood was really well-set and i liked that idea of sharing that kind of weird memory with someone, but i didn't really understand its relevance

in general i thought the flashbacks worked a lot better than the present day stuff, tbh

Suicide Squad - I really enjoyed it, although I forgot quite a few of the characters were in the film when they weren't in shot.

Suicide Squad

when you're so desperate to be guardians of the galaxy that you pull a song straight from the movie

that's fair, but it's still associated with the movie and makes a lot of people think of it

maybe i'd be more forgiving if the song actually fit into the scene well but it was pretty unnecessary and took me way out of the movie

The Martian and Interstellar

Martian: good, less "sciency" than the book but I really enjoyed it.
Interstellar: meh, it's hard to root for a character when he has the personality of a rock. also,
what even was that "3D projection of a 5D dimension" part apart from confusing and ridiculous

blues brothers

uh, i guess i should have a write up for this but i honestly dont have much to say about it. it was pretty good. i probably wouldn't watch it again though, and also i want carrie fisher to fire a rocket up my ass

Suicide Squad again, now that I've watched it in 3D, some of the shots that seemed questionable in 2D work a lot better.

Hell or High Water

Duskull said:
Suicide Squad again, now that I've watched it in 3D, some of the shots that seemed questionable in 2D work a lot better.
any particular examples?

Nabber said:
Duskull said:
any particular examples?
The slow-mo action shots, they actually look really good in 3D.

Godzilla 2000

Watched the Japanese cut for the first time. This might be the only scenario where I can say that I prefer the English version of a Toho Godzilla film. The English version cut some filler and added new music that was desperately needed. The original has really bad sound design. The music is weak and repetitive and the sound effects all sound whimpy. The English version created new music, added classic Toho motifs and added new sound effects.

Back