Yuzu and Citra to shut down following lawsuit

I'm sure Nintendo has all their games in a vault somewhere (heck, a recent example proving this to me is the Mario vs Donkey Kong remake, as it seems Nintendo kept the uncompressed files of Martinet's voice clips all these years), but my point was more that if and when my 3DS breaks (thankfully hasn't happened yet) and I can't easily find a new one, I want to be able to keep playing Dream Team using a personal backup of my copy that I legally purchased and paid for. I don't want to wait who knows how long until they re-release DT (assuming they ever do), I don't want to always have to own the latest console to play it, I don't want to pay full price (or worse yet a continual subscription) to continue playing a game I already bought just because my old hardware stopped working. Citra was the solution to this.
Citra is still working. It's not like them stopping development on the emulator and ceasing to distribute it means you can't still use it.

Mind you I am aware that Citra was the best 3DS emulator but perhaps this incident will really spark more development into 3DS emulation because uhh 3DS emulation was really far behind other contemporary emulators (one example being how 60 fps patches for 3DS games in Citra were literally just 'run the game at double speed' as opposed to native changes like you see with 60 fps patches for Dolphin and, ironically, Yuzu)

Also this part:
I'm quite worried that this defense appears to be contradicted by the recent judgement.
There was no judgement here.

It was a settlement.

You are not going to get a judgement after a literal week (and one day) after Nintendo (or anyone) files a lawsuit.

If nothing else, ending in a settlement was the best case scenario for this situation because it means that no legal precedent has been set.

Also it never even went to court, this was a pre-court settlement.

Nintendo's decision is understandable but not reasonable. If I would kill a person with a gun, who should the police track down? Me, because I shot the gun, or the company who produced it? Obviously not the company, it's not their fault I shot the gun.

We all saw this coming, but I'm still annoyed by this entire situation.

Also that is a pretty hefty fine, I really am not sure where the devs will get all that money from. Hopefully they won't end up on the streets.

There was no judgement here.

It was a settlement.

You are not going to get a judgement after a literal week (and one day) after Nintendo (or anyone) files a lawsuit.

If nothing else, ending in a settlement was the best case scenario for this situation because it means that no legal precedent has been set.

Also it never even went to court, this was a pre-court settlement.
My bad, thanks for clearing that up.

Also that is a pretty hefty fine, I really am not sure where the devs will get all that money from. Hopefully they won't end up on the streets.
You don't have to pay a settlement all at once.

Gary Bowser, who owes Nintendo $14 million, has to send Nintendo 20-30% of what's left from his monthly income after he pays for his necessities such as rent, food, etc. He didn't have to somehow scrounge up that whole amount of money and pay Nintendo the full amount otherwise he'd get his ass sent to the slammer.

It's likely going to be something similar with the dev team behind Yuzu and Citra, gonna pay that shit in installments (and, of course, there's probably zero chance Nintendo will get the full $2.4 million but their goal was obviously to put an end to Yuzu)

I've been trying out some Ryujinx recently and I have to say it's really good, every game I've tried works pretty flawlessly and at full speed so I will probably switch to Ryujinx now as I don't see any reason not to.

Screenshot_2024-03-06_22-20-35.png

I tried some Panda3DS too, and it's interesting and promising but still too primitive to really be feasible atm. No audio, Dream Team crashes on the title screen, moderate to severe graphical glitches (as you can see below, shadows are missing), very limited features in general. I will stick to Citra for now but might switch to something else once feasible alternative emerges.

Screenshot_2024-03-06_22-09-28.png

Also update on the situation, it seems Citra and Yuzu have been removed from Flathub (see image below) (edit: it turns out they aren't actually fully removed yet, they are just EOL and the Flathub pages are down.), and Snappy (https://snapcraft.io/install/citra-emu/debian). It is still in the Debian repository, however.

Citra-Yuzu-Flathub.png

All in all I'd say I'm now feeling a lot better about the situation.

Last edited:
Back