I may have saved a life

KPH2293

17 Banners
Retired Wiki Staff
Hello everyone! Whether you're from the US or not, I hope you had a great 4th of July. Mine was certainly one I'll never forget.

I'm visiting my girlfriend currently, and we had just gotten back from a walk with her dogs. She was not feeling well when we got back; she was shaking and sweating profusely. She is a diabetic, so I helped her test her blood sugar, and it was about 365 (which is very high for those unfamiliar). We phoned her mom, and she said she would be on her way. I grabbed my girlfriend some water, and before I even got back to the dining room table, she began seizing.

I immediately grabbed a blanket to put under her head, and put her on her side (we had talked about what to do if this ever happened and I was present). I then called 911, and was on the phone with the dispatcher for about 10 minutes. My girlfriend's mom arrived first, and was able to give the paramedics info that I didn't have on her. She was then taken away in the ambulance.

I went to her brother's place afterwards. As you may imagine, it's a rather stressful situation to experience, and I was a bit wound up. Mind you I have autism and severe anxiety. But they were very helpful. A few hours later, her brother and I went to the hospital to pick her up. We were told it was a petit mal seizure, and it was the second one she had suffered since May.

She was able to come home that night, and has been doing well since. It scares me to think about what may have happened if I had not been here. She could have choked, her heart could have stopped, or she could have stopped breathing. Her seizure lasted roughly 30 minutes before the paramedics were able to pull her out of it.

I don't mean this as a bragging post, but I do feel rather proud that I was able to handle things reasonably well under pressure. I had never had to call an emergency number before, and it's hard to watch someone you care about go through that.

Last edited:
Pardon the double post, but she and I are no longer together for several reasons. Nevertheless, I'm glad I was able to help her when she needed it.

Back