Hot Cocoa

You forget a thousand things everyday…
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Cosmic Cowboy
The Nintendo Switch is coming up on 6 years. While it's a fantasic piece of hardware, it's showing it's age at this point. It's way behind the competition, being from the previous console generation. At this rate, Nintendo might just need a new console. And fast.

But, what would it be? In my opinion, a successor to the Switch would be optimal, but they need to make it distinct enough in order to avoid another Wii U-like failure. So...what's a big corporation to do?

I mean it's obvious the successor is going to be a Switch 2 and that's all it needs to be. There's way too much smoke and leaks for it to be anything but that.

Yeah I know 'Oh but there were leaks and rumors about a Switch Pro and that never happened either!' but honestly speaking, there was so much smoke and leaks around the Switch Pro + multiple comments from devs that there was a mid-gen hardware refresh Switch that was cancelled internally, I would say with 99% confidence that Nintendo was totally planning on doing a Switch Pro but a combination of COVID-19, the ongoing global chip shortage, and the original Switch hardware and software still selling like gangbusters made them cancel those plans and instead focus on a complete successor system. (IIRC, I believe the Switch Pro was supposed to be the OLED because all the rumors about the Switch Pro match up to the OLED model except for the chip upgrade thing)

How do they make it distinctive enough from the OG Switch?

Just call it the Switch 2, that's not that hard. People aren't stupid, they'll know that the one with the bigger number is the new model and will be more powerful. The system could otherwise look nearly identical to the Switch in form factor otherwise and it'll be fine. Like nobody complains that new phone models look similar.

Wii Switch U.

I rather they just stick with the concept of the Switch, except with better hardware.

If they don't drastically update the hardware I won't buy it. Also, I think that seeing as the Wii U was an evolution of the Wii, and the Switch an evolution of the Wii U, Nintendo should just give up on that line of development and come up with something that people will just buy for the heck of it. Otherwise I will just buy a Gamecube and then focus on a job and get a Corvette.

The last Nintendo console that I bought is the Nintendo GameCube. I think my mum bought it for me as my Christmas present when I was 8 years old in 2001...or maybe it was when I was 9 years old in 2002 :) .

I would be happy if they just updated the Switch with a couple new gimmicks, gave it more power, etc. It would be cool if it could run CoD like how they say it will

If they don't drastically update the hardware I won't buy it. Also, I think that seeing as the Wii U was an evolution of the Wii, and the Switch an evolution of the Wii U, Nintendo should just give up on that line of development and come up with something that people will just buy for the heck of it. Otherwise I will just buy a Gamecube and then focus on a job and get a Corvette.
This post is a few months old I know but wanting Nintendo to 'give up' on continuing the hardware concept that has given them the third best-selling video game console of all time sure is a take tbh.

And this ain't a Wii situation where the Wii sold like gangbusters at first but then started to decline after 2009 (which made Nintendo's decision to double down on the Wii brand with the Wii U even dumber than you'd think), the Switch is still massively successful to this day.

This post is a few months old I know but wanting Nintendo to 'give up' on continuing the hardware concept that has given them the third best-selling video game console of all time sure is a take tbh.

And this ain't a Wii situation where the Wii sold like gangbusters at first but then started to decline after 2009 (which made Nintendo's decision to double down on the Wii brand with the Wii U even dumber than you'd think), the Switch is still massively successful to this day.

yeah at this point I'm just hoping for a (much needed) hardware upgrade, backwards compatibility with the Switch, and a Pilotwings game (not gonna happen)
edit: disregard my nonsense posts from when I first joined lol

Back