Does anyone have a good free online 3D model editor/3D to 2d Sprite converter?

Bugzzy

“I'm the king of insects! And Avalance!”
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
OhoJeeOnFire
I want to make Bowser Jr and the Koopalings in SMRPG style, and I heard Nintendo used 3D models to make the sprites for the game and I plan on making a hack where eight of the bosses are replaced by Bowser Jr and The Koopalings, and there are a couple of new bosses to fight. I need the software to do it, so please help!

Before you commit to an intense undertaking such as making 8 new models and capturing them in several poses for a sprite sheet, I have to ask: Do you have the technical know-how to modify the game file in this way? Because that's not likely to be as simple as you might imagine.

It might be better to try it with placeholder graphics first, to see if it'll even work.

Do you have the technical know-how to modify the game file in this way?
Yes, I do. I have the Lazy Shell Editor, a special program that can edit everything in the game, from monster behaviors to editing sprites. I know how to do it, but what troubles me is how to make the 2D sprites from 3D models.

It might be better to try it with placeholder graphics first, to see if it'll even work.
Yeah, about that, it's as easy as eating an apple. I already tried that and it worked perfectly, but my main plan was replacing the bosses like this:

Knife Guy: Larry
Grate Guy: Lemmy
Punchinello: Roy
Valentina: Ludwig
Johnny: Wendy
Bandanna Red: Cheep-Cheep
Bandanna Blue: Deep-Cheep
Belome: Morton
Booster: Iggy
Boomer: Bowser Jr
Smilax: renamed to Piranha Bud
Megasmilax: renamed to Naval Piranha (if possible)
Thrax can be targeted if fast enough!
Four different colored Goombas who are very strong. They will give a rare item when defeated!

Last edited:
okay so here's the gist of what you need to do before you even undertake making 3d models and then pre-rendering them as sprites

you need a 3d modeling program. there are some to choose from but most people typically go with blender because it's open source and free.

while super mario rpg uses relatively primitive models for artwork/sprites, this still means you need to be familiar with how to make spheres/boxes/etc, how to mold them into a character and how to texture them (possibly UV map but smrpg uses very simplistic textures, possibly could be just vertex colored)

because the sprites from pre-rendered models are animated, you have to rig the model too.

Back