Anyone remember these

Mamoru endou

Koopa Troopa
PPSJIIIboxfront.JPG.jpg
I remember that one time I at the mall and saw some of these in 2004, it looks like a Nintendo 64 controller packaged with what looked like a playstation controller and a light gun, when Nintendo got wind of this, they went on a full blown witch-hunt and took legal action, stopping them from being sold at mall kiosks across the USA

On December 16, 2004, the FBI executed search warrants at two kiosks at the Mall of America in Minnesota and also searched storage facilities rented by Yonatan Cohen, an owner of Perfect Deal LLC of Miami, Florida. The consoles, purchased wholesale at $7 to $9 each, sold for $30 to $70 each.
In January 2005, after 1,800 units of the Super Joy III were confiscated, Cohen was charged in Minneapolis, Minnesota for selling Super Joy III units at kiosks at the Mall of America and other malls across the nation.In April 2005, Cohen pleaded guilty to selling pirated video games.

Nine days after Cohen's guilty plea, forty FBI agents arrested four Chinese nationals working in an international piracy ring and seized 60,000 Super Joy IIIs in searches in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and Maple Shade, New Jersey.

As of Spring 2005, NrTrade stopped selling Super Joys, but they still retain stock from other companies. Super Joy IIIs are still in production in China by Sinango but not as widely distributed.

In November 2005, Cohen was sentenced to five years in federal prison and was required to run ads in mall magazines to inform the public of how he sold pirated games at Mall of America kiosks.

By 2006, most shopping malls stopped selling Super Joy IIIs. However, they are still sold by other dealers (e.g. flea markets), or are resold at inflated prices.

I'm glad I didn't buy one of these pieces of garbage and I never will

Last edited:
i don't quite remember this but bootleg stuff like this is common so if i did see this, it would be lumped with all other bootlegs.

I remember wanting one of these when I saw it at a flea market when I was like 12.

Honestly speaking, I'm always surprised there's still a market for these types of systems (both the ones that use the NES-on-a-chip and the ones that just use emulation) considering the existence of both legitimate Famiclones (and by 'legitimate' I mean 'the relevant hardware patents for both the FC and NES have expired, so as long as a company doesn't use anything still protected under the law [such as the names and designs of the console, any copyrighted code {meaning ROMs}, etc], Nintendo has no recourse to stop these systems from being manufactured and sold') and those retro emulation handhelds that typically can handle anything up to like GBA that, once again, avoid getting into any form of legal trouble by not including ROMs or anything else protected under the law. (And emulation ain't illegal no matter how much Nintendo whines and moans about it).

But I guess there's always the market of 'people who played the NES as a kid, grew out of video games, then sees one of these consoles and they go 'Whoa hey I remember Mario from back in the day, and it's only $40 with 10,000 games? Alright, that'll be some fun nostalgia' or, especially in the modern day, people who find the listings for these Famiclones on sites like Wish, AliExpress, or Alibaba but these listings will use screenshots and renders from modern games (or things that look like modern games), so they think they're going to be getting some modern system for only like $40-50 and not some piece of crap Chinese bootleg system that can barely handle running anything above the NES (and the really bad ones will even struggle running NES games).

Also bonus points if the crap Chinese bootleg console is one you connect to your TV with wired controllers because 100% guarantee it'll use the Atari joystick port instead of USB so you'll be stuck using whatever crap controller it comes with.

I remember wanting one of these when I saw it at a flea market when I was like 12.

Honestly speaking, I'm always surprised there's still a market for these types of systems (both the ones that use the NES-on-a-chip and the ones that just use emulation) considering the existence of both legitimate Famiclones (and by 'legitimate' I mean 'the relevant hardware patents for both the FC and NES have expired, so as long as a company doesn't use anything still protected under the law [such as the names and designs of the console, any copyrighted code {meaning ROMs}, etc], Nintendo has no recourse to stop these systems from being manufactured and sold') and those retro emulation handhelds that typically can handle anything up to like GBA that, once again, avoid getting into any form of legal trouble by not including ROMs or anything else protected under the law. (And emulation ain't illegal no matter how much Nintendo whines and moans about it).

But I guess there's always the market of 'people who played the NES as a kid, grew out of video games, then sees one of these consoles and they go 'Whoa hey I remember Mario from back in the day, and it's only $40 with 10,000 games? Alright, that'll be some fun nostalgia' or, especially in the modern day, people who find the listings for these Famiclones on sites like Wish, AliExpress, or Alibaba but these listings will use screenshots and renders from modern games (or things that look like modern games), so they think they're going to be getting some modern system for only like $40-50 and not some piece of crap Chinese bootleg system that can barely handle running anything above the NES (and the really bad ones will even struggle running NES games).

Also bonus points if the crap Chinese bootleg console is one you connect to your TV with wired controllers because 100% guarantee it'll use the Atari joystick port instead of USB so you'll be stuck using whatever crap controller it comes with.
I remember getting this for my 2013th birthday and it was okay for a playstation lookalike

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 56
Back