Why never was a Super Mario Bros timeline?

I mean, it does have a clear series of events, but nothing that involves having a split timeline like Zelda does. There are a few things of note though:

The majority of games in the Yoshi series can be considered a prequel to the Mario series; with the exception of Wooly World and Crafted World, which each take place in their own respective alternate worlds (one made of mostly yarn, the other out of crafting materials in general).

It's implied the Shroob invasion that happens in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time takes place sometime after the Yoshi games. Since Mario and Luigi in the present day travel back in time to help their baby selves defeat them though, it does create quite a tricky time loop.

Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels takes place in an alternate dimension, which we don't really ever hear about again.

Super Mario Bros. 2 is apparently only a dream Mario had, so even if it did happen in a sense, that would've been within the scope of a single night.

Super Mario Bros. 3 was simply a stage play; so if the performance lasted multiple days, I'd say that was within the expanse of a single week.

Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins happens immediately after Super Mario Land 1, being a direct sequel. So it can be assumed that the game takes place before Super Mario World (since SML1 was released before World).

It's also implied that the modern Paper Mario games are a separate continuity from the first three, given how much different the world building is between the two trilogies (that's a different conversation altogether though, so I'll leave it at that).

Aside from that, the sequence of events is pretty straightforward, and not much time passes over the course of the Mario series.

Back