Spore help - tribal stage crash

Duskull

Star Spirit
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
So today, I downloaded Spore from Steam onto my Windows 10 laptop. Everything worked fine (although cell stage didn't have full graphics) until the Tribal Stage. A little while after befriending the first tribe, as my villagers returned to my village, the game crashed. I reloaded the game and got back to that bit, and saved hoping to avoid the issue and thinking it was like the disc version that just crashed from time to time because of outdated stuff. However, it crashed in the same place, seconds after I saved. Now whenever I load that planet it crashes immediately (funny thing is, I get no error message saying the game's stopped working, it just boots me off).

I don't particularly want to start over anew, in case the exact same thing happens again.

I've been onto lots of the Spore / Steam / EA forums to try and find how to get it to run, but they all the same thing about right-clicking the programme, going into properties and running a compatibility mode, or something along those lines. The issue is, when I right-click for properties, I don't have the option to run in a compatibility mode, it doesn't show up. Trying to open it in the search bar on the laptop only succeeds in bringing up the creations folder, nothing to do with the actual game itself, so I can't find it in there.

EDIT: Not sure if worth mentioning, created initial cell on plain Spore, did some of Creature stage same, then swapped to Cute and Creepy to finish Creature. Crashes no matter what version of game I try.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
You don't have to start over anew. I think there are cheats that let you unlock the stages without unlocking the Joker badge, and if you want to start your creature in the tribe stage again, you can always select it through there.

I would have recommended it uninstalling and reinstalling the game if you had issues.

Cute and Creepy wouldn't cause any issues afaik. Order of installation and patches are an issue...I think only in cracked versions of the game that want to make use of Darkspore.

Uninstalled and reinstalled, but that save was completely dead. New planet works fine though, so it might have just been a case of corrupted save data.

Back