Gloriosa Daisy

I've got this!
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
MiracleDinner
Hello,

I love my Wii U and the Wii U gamepad is my favourite video game controller:

But the thing is, they were never sold seperately (in Europe at least.) There's a lot of technology in them too. The Wii U never sold well. And the region lock doesn't help to all of this given I'm still too paranoid to hack. So, to replace them is expensive and difficult, and may one day become impossible.

For a controller I love so much I decided to take provisions for the future and get a spare. But with my limited budget, I couldn't afford the ones that cost over £100. I was lucky enough to get one for about £40. It came in a shoebox, generally seems to be good condition and almost fully working (audio jack doesn't work properly) so I'm satisfied to keep it. And it didn't have returns anyway, so I couldn't get my money back even if I wanted to.

The gamepad that came with the Wii U I bought (also second hand) seems to be better condition so I waited for that one to run down to 25% charge and then stashed it under my bed, where it may remain for years before a misplaced cup of coffee puts an end to the other one.

But my question is, will it be alright down there or should I get it out every so often? How long can a GamePad survive in a warm and dark environment if placed there with 25% charge?

Thank you,
MiracleDinner

But my question is, will it be alright down there or should I get it out every so often? How long can a GamePad survive in a warm and dark environment if placed there with 25% charge?

You should store electronics in a cool and dry place, but how warm does the environment get? If it's just slightly over room temperature, then it should be fine. 90 F (30 C) or above, I'd put it somewhere else, like I wouldn't store electronics in a hot garage in the summer. Under your bed sounds fine to me. For electronics, charge can go down over time, so you may need to recharge it if you plan on taking it out after a long period of unuse.

My Wii U has lived through a bunch of Australian summers (40°c+) so you'll probably be fine but it wouldn't hurt to keep it somewhere cooler

It's a little draughty anyway so I don't think the heat should be an issue. Thanks for the advise!

Back