Surprising References to Video Games

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
Here, we talk about references to video games in other forms of media, be it a show or a comic, and yes, even video games are included by definition.

I will start with a couple:
1) Steven Universe references not only Gitaroo Man, but also a crudely drawn Sonic that's nicknamed "sanic". It's one thing to reference a relatively obscure character, but it's another to reference a version of Sonic that is used to make fun of the real character.
1576488512269.jpeg

2) Monty (comic strip) referencing Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on 13th March 2010. It's one thing to reference the Wii, but it's another to reference a game that's not the most popular on the Wii (that title goes to Wii Sports), so it's very amusing and surprising, and not to mention surreal (though surrealism is on par with Monty anyway) to see Monty say "Mega Man Volnutt" of Mega Man Legends fame.
5c3d6cf0bcc70130e60d001dd8b71c47

What do you consider your personal surprises when it comes to video game references?

Thank you for reading.

"A WINNER IS YOU" - Fawful, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Also Futurama's Anthology of Interest II.
I think the Simpsons video is surprising to be because back then I didn't view Sonic as a video game character, given that I learned about Sonic through Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. To a lesser extent Mario and Luigi weren't that well-known to me so I only learned about their significance later on.

Oh yes, the Anthology of Interest is another good one: I like how Mario is the ambassador of Italy, and that Space Invaders bit I didn't understand until I learned how it worked (basically if there's one alien remaining, it speeds up a lot).

Thank you for reading.

Back