Massive Asteroid Headed For Earth

Rad Dudesman

King Bowser
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Science/story?id=2885820

A massive asteroid will come uncomfortably close to Earth on April 13, 2036. The chances of it actually hitting us are 1 in 45,000, but we need to prepare ourselves for it.

NASA is hoping to land Astronauts on it.

Something needs to be done about this. As Blocky said, we could probably use the Large Hadron Collider to nuke it.

Actually, even if it misses us, if it passes us in the wrong spot, scientists have figured out it'll kill us all in about 20 or 30 years.

I'd suggest sending Bruce Willis and Owen Wilson up to obliterate the thing, but that's over a decade-outdated.

More seriously, this thought has crossed my mind more than once. The thought of this planet being annihilated by the time we all reach our 40s is a scary thought. There's a lot in life to look forward to, and things ending so quickly is terrifying. But, I do believe by the time the Asteroid comes fairly close to us, we'll have the technology and brains to save the planet from being destroyed by the asteroid. Whether it's America, Russia, Japan, or a collaboration of various countries that come up with the plan of saving us, I don't care; but I do know that I'd be eternally grateful to whoever created the plan, and whoever executed it.

Wow. I'll be 48 on Doomsday.

Well, it gives us longer to live than the whole 2012 thing, at least. I'm not afraid to die, but the end of the world is some scary stuff.

MST3K said:

Well, it gives us longer to live than the whole 2012 thing, at least. I'm not afraid to die, but the end of the world is some scary stuff.

I'll be 42.

I don't think we're going to die. As I said, the chances it hitting is very low; so low that's it almost impossible. And as Stooben Rooben said, we'll have the technology to deal with it by then.

Then there's the idea of us nuking it with the Large Hadron Collider. It's been proven that LHC is not a threat, and will never destroy the world. But firing a black hole at a giant asteroid moving at 28000 miles per hour might cause more problems that it would solve.

Sir Lancelot said:
MST3K said:

I'll be 42.

I don't think we're going to die. As I said, the chances it hitting is very low; so low that's it almost impossible. And as Stooben Rooben said, we'll have the technology to deal with it by then.

Then there's the idea of us nuking it with the Large Hadron Collider. It's been proven that LHC is not a threat, and will never destroy the world. But firing a black hole at a giant asteroid moving at 28000 miles per hour might cause more problems that it would solve.
It'd look really cool though. If I'm gonna die, I wanna die watching that happen.

We'll die when America pushes the Big Red Nuclear Weapon Launch button in WW3.
You just know the next world war will be a nuclear one.

I do hope the world ends up like the Fallout universe, except less Super Mutants.

Zeltrax said:
We'll die when America pushes the Big Red Nuclear Weapon Launch button in WW3.
You just know the next world war will be a nuclear one.
Yeah, and that's the scary part.

Scientist 1: I think I've found the formula for the cure for AIDS and cancer!
Scientist 2: Screw that; let's make a BOMB!!!!111!!!oneonethree!!!

Also, I'll be 45 (almost 46) when the Asteroid supposedly hits Earth.

Kaiser Samuel Augustus Ward IV said:
Actually, even if it misses us, if it passes us in the wrong spot, scientists have figured out it'll kill us all in about 20 or 30 years.

What

Fiddle Faddle said:

What
If it flies past us in the wrong spot, it'll come back and hit us.

Also, the world will end, but not because of comets or nukes, it'll be a massive plague that's immune to all treatment because of our rampant overuse of antibiotics.

Fiddle Faddle said:

What

Also, the world will end, but not because of comets or nukes, it'll be a massive plague that's immune to all treatment because of our rampant overuse of antibiotics.
1. Ah.

2. Kinda like in I am Legend, but not quite.

Looniju said:
Fiddle Faddle said:

What

You Capitalists and your pessimism 9_9
You Communists and your denial.

Sir Lancelot said:

A massive asteroid will come uncomfortably close to Earth on April 13, 2036. The chances of it actually hitting us are 1 in 45,000, but we need to prepare ourselves for it.

NASA is hoping to land Astronauts on it.

Something needs to be done about this. As Blocky said, we could probably use the Large Hadron Collider to nuke it.

Sir Lancelot said:

Sir Lancelot said:
The chances of it actually hitting us are 1 in 45,000, but we need to prepare ourselves for it.

Sir Lancelot said:
1 in 45,000, but we need to prepare ourselves for it.

Sir Lancelot said:
1 in 45,000

Sir Lancelot said:
1 in 45,000

Sir Lancelot said:
1 in 45,000

And?

There's a waaaaay higher chance that we'll still take damage.

Back