Article HACKED?

Mod Edit: Post any other instances of this here and a mod will get to it.

Is it just me who sees giant "things" with the message "I STILL WANNA KILL MYSELF T-T", middle fingers and dicks in some of the templates when I'm not logged in at http://www.mariowiki.com/Donkey_Kong_Country_2:_Diddy%27s_Kong_Quest? Normally, people would count this as vandalism, but considering that it doesn't appears when logged in or when using redirects like http://www.mariowiki.com/DKC2 or on other pages with the same templates, it certainly is hacked and not vandalism, atleast in my opion. (spelling)
 
N

Nerdy Guy

Guest
King Mario said:
Is it just me who sees giant "things" with the message "I STILL WANNA KILL MYSELF T-T", middle fingers and d**ks in some of the templates when I'm not logged in at http://www.mariowiki.com/Donkey_Kong_Country_2:_Diddy%27s_Kong_Quest? Normally, people would count this as vandalism, but considering that it doesn't appears when logged in or when using redirects like http://www.mariowiki.com/DKC2 or on other pages with the same templates, it certainly is hacked and not vandalism, atleast in my opion. (spelling)
You can't say the D-word.
Wait...

Can you?
 
Needy Guy said:
King Mario said:
Is it just me who sees giant "things" with the message "I STILL WANNA KILL MYSELF T-T", middle fingers and d**ks in some of the templates when I'm not logged in at http://www.mariowiki.com/Donkey_Kong_Country_2:_Diddy%27s_Kong_Quest? Normally, people would count this as vandalism, but considering that it doesn't appears when logged in or when using redirects like http://www.mariowiki.com/DKC2 or on other pages with the same templates, it certainly is hacked and not vandalism, atleast in my opion. (spelling)
You can't say the D-word.
Wait...

Can you?
What should I say then, the wee-wee? Seriously, no non-native of speakers of English even know what "wee-wee" means, and it's, in my opion, a better word to say than the P-word.
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
Needy Guy said:
King Mario said:
Is it just me who sees giant "things" with the message "I STILL WANNA KILL MYSELF T-T", middle fingers and d**ks in some of the templates when I'm not logged in at http://www.mariowiki.com/Donkey_Kong_Country_2:_Diddy%27s_Kong_Quest? Normally, people would count this as vandalism, but considering that it doesn't appears when logged in or when using redirects like http://www.mariowiki.com/DKC2 or on other pages with the same templates, it certainly is hacked and not vandalism, atleast in my opion. (spelling)
You can't say the D-word.
Wait...

Can you?
Someone called me a dick once and got away with it, so I assume it's fine.
 

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
1. The article(s) appear to be fine now. I've checked three times and have seen no problems.
2. "Dick" is fine to say, because it is not autocensored.

Locked.
 

SiFi

Just a flight attendant guy.
If this guy wants to kill himself, then why does he just sit there and talk about it? We're not holding him back... are we?
 

Ghost Jam

A call to action? A call to arms!
Retired Wiki Staff
I looked but didn't see anything (granted, this topic was made two days ago). Either the problem solved itself or someone else fixed it.
 
First I found it on http://www.mariowiki.com/Twhomp when I wasn't logged in.

Then I found it: (it is still there) http://www.mariowiki.com/Big_Star but it only appears when I'm not logged in.
 

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
mario_star_9 said:
First I found it on http://www.mariowiki.com/Twhomp when I wasn't logged in.

Then I found it: (it is still there) http://www.mariowiki.com/Big_Star but it only appears when I'm not logged in.
Very strange.

I see it ONLY when I'm not logged in. But I can't find that particular vandalism in the page, on the templates, or in imbedded anywhere in those articles.
 

Ghost Jam

A call to action? A call to arms!
Retired Wiki Staff
Stooben Rooben said:
mario_star_9 said:
First I found it on http://www.mariowiki.com/Twhomp when I wasn't logged in.

Then I found it: (it is still there) http://www.mariowiki.com/Big_Star but it only appears when I'm not logged in.
Very strange.

I see it ONLY when I'm not logged in. But I can't find that particular vandalism in the page, on the templates, or in imbedded anywhere in those articles.
It might be imbedded in the ads at the top and side. I saw this happen on wikia a few years ago. Someone got mad about something and added code into the ads that dropped random text into articles. As I remember, specific keyword combos made it happen (the same way ads are displayed).
 

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
Ghost Jam said:
Stooben Rooben said:
mario_star_9 said:
First I found it on http://www.mariowiki.com/Twhomp when I wasn't logged in.

Then I found it: (it is still there) http://www.mariowiki.com/Big_Star but it only appears when I'm not logged in.
Very strange.

I see it ONLY when I'm not logged in. But I can't find that particular vandalism in the page, on the templates, or in imbedded anywhere in those articles.
It might be imbedded in the ads at the top and side. I saw this happen on wikia a few years ago. Someone got mad about something and added code into the ads that dropped random text into articles. As I remember, specific keyword combos made it happen (the same way ads are displayed).
I never even thought of that. I've been on two forums that had a similar problem about 5 years ago. That's probably what it is.
 

SmartGuy

A complete wanker.
I noticed this last week when a random guest came in chat and said (with horrible spelling) that the Wario article had exactly the same problem except it said "I want to kill myself D'=" instead of the more recent one (aswell as the aforementioned ASCII pictures) in every template, when I logged in to report this to Son of Suns I could no longer see it, I also noticed there was nothing in recent changes about it being reverted, this left me quite confused, but now I finally know that me (and that guest) Aren't the only ones noticing this. I also noticed that these ASCII images look exactly the same as the ones Smoke used to spam with. Is there anyway to fix this? this could scare away guests.
 

2257

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
This happens due to the way the MediaWiki software caches pages. I'm not well versed in this, but basically, pages are periodically converted from MediaWiki syntax to HTML and saved. Normally, the server would have to convert the page to HTML every time someone requested a page, since clientside rendering of MediaWiki syntax isn't widespread. This way speeds up loading, as the server can instead forward the cached version. For logged in users, a process called the Job Queue automatically updates the cache for a page whenever that page changes, but for guests, this doesn't happen. That means that some vandalism can stay in the cache after being reverted, which is what happened here.

The upshot of all this is that you can remove the vandalism by going here:
http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=TITLE_HERE&action=purge
Where "TITLE_HERE" is, of course, to be replaced by the title of the affected page.

Ghost Jam, here's your screenshot:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/YYXJKQJ/Stupid_c_vandal.png

So no, we haven't been hacked.
 

Xluidi

beep bep boop
2257 said:
This happens due to the way the MediaWiki software caches pages. I'm not well versed in this, but basically, pages are periodically converted from MediaWiki syntax to HTML and saved. Normally, the server would have to convert the page to HTML every time someone requested a page, since clientside rendering of MediaWiki syntax isn't widespread. This way speeds up loading, as the server can instead forward the cached version. For logged in users, a process called the Job Queue automatically updates the cache for a page whenever that page changes, but for guests, this doesn't happen. That means that some vandalism can stay in the cache after being reverted, which is what happened here.

The upshot of all this is that you can remove the vandalism by going here:
http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=TITLE_HERE&action=purge
Where "TITLE_HERE" is, of course, to be replaced by the title of the affected page.

Ghost Jam, here's your screenshot:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/YYXJKQJ/Stupid_c_vandal.png

So no, we haven't been hacked.
You know about this things, huh?
 

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
2257 said:
This happens due to the way the MediaWiki software caches pages. I'm not well versed in this, but basically, pages are periodically converted from MediaWiki syntax to HTML and saved. Normally, the server would have to convert the page to HTML every time someone requested a page, since clientside rendering of MediaWiki syntax isn't widespread. This way speeds up loading, as the server can instead forward the cached version. For logged in users, a process called the Job Queue automatically updates the cache for a page whenever that page changes, but for guests, this doesn't happen. That means that some vandalism can stay in the cache after being reverted, which is what happened here.

The upshot of all this is that you can remove the vandalism by going here:
http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=TITLE_HERE&action=purge
Where "TITLE_HERE" is, of course, to be replaced by the title of the affected page.

Ghost Jam, here's your screenshot:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/YYXJKQJ/Stupid_c_vandal.png

So no, we haven't been hacked.
That makes perfect sense.
 
Top