The German MarioWiki is about to change!

Semako

Koopa Troopa
Hello, I have great news for you :)

I have been quite inactive here and in the English MarioWiki for a while - one reason for that was that I was busy moving the German Mario Board (https://marioforum.net) to a new server and creating a new design for it.

Yesterday our new board went live - that was just the beginnig: I'll take the German MarioWiki over from our administrator Waluigi & Yoshi, since he lacks the time to administrate it, and move it to the new server too. This will hopefully solve its accessibility and loading problems, as the new server is more powerful and reliable. This will be quite difficult I think, especially because I also need to update its software in the process, which hasn't been done for a while - I hope that there won't be too much problems popping up!

Also, I'm planning a total redesign of the Wiki, probably trying to make it look similar to the board to show that both pages are related to each other.

Be prepared for a resurrection of the German MarioWiki! :D

Nice, looking forward to it!!

Hobbes said:
Nice, looking forward to it!!

Yeah, I'm excited too, I hope there won't be any problems ;)

As a first step, I implemented the wiki BBCode in the german board ^^

We're already close to moving to the new server!
If you take a look at the wiki in its current state, you can already see that I started developing its new skin, which is based on our forums's design ;) However I'll wait with modifying templates/php files until after the migration to the new server is completed successfully.

Due to real life stress and a real life movement including several week without internet, I had to delay the wiki's server change, but now it is finally done! :D
The wiki is now on its new server, with updated software and is open for contributions, altough there still are some problems, mostly caused by missing extensions.

There's a single problem I haven't found a solution for yet - the paths to iimages containing special characters such as question marks - obviously used for different kinds of ?-Switches and ?-blocks - are broken, since their filenames got somehow corrupted when I uploaded them (a total of more than 12 GB) to the new server and the question marks simply got lost. Can anyone give me an advice to solve that problem?

The next step for me is my examn at university next week xD and the next step regarding the wiki is trying to fix the remaining errors, updating its look slightly (as I've done with the main page, wich also is not finished obviously), installing the VisualEditor and of course contributing to it. In the last years, with the wiki on its old, unreliable server, we fell so far behind the Wikia "wiki", it is unbelievable. At least we have higher quality articles and no ads xD

Semako said:
There's a single problem I haven't found a solution for yet - the paths to iimages containing special characters such as question marks - obviously used for different kinds of ?-Switches and ?-blocks - are broken, since their filenames got somehow corrupted when I uploaded them (a total of more than 12 GB) to the new server and the question marks simply got lost. Can anyone give me an advice to solve that problem?

Can you post an example?

Yes, of course.
https://mariowiki.net/wiki/Datei:NSMB_Sprite_%3F-Block.png is the file page. The file name on the server got corrupted to https://mariowiki.net/w/images/f/f5/NSMB_Sprite__-Block.png.

Thanks for trying to help me :)

Perhaps renaming the file so it doesn't contain any punctuation marks would work. I've had files not load properly due to use of periods other than the file extension's before, for example. So instead of "?-Block", go with "Question Block".

Yes, only the problem is that there are multiple files with that issue, since there are so many question blocks in the Mario universe ;)

There we have a problem then.

On Windows, question marks are invalid characters to use in filenames, and as such they are replaced by underscores by FileZilla while downloading them.
What you'll have to do if possible is to download them again, but using a different operating system, then upload them to the new place.

Okay, so I need to hook up my Ubuntu notebook to the LAN and start shoveling the gigabytes from one server to the other, right? ^^

Aside from that, the wiki is now running pretty nicely, almost all necessary extensions are installed now. Aside from doing several needed updates to templates and MediaWiki pages, and visual polishing for the main page (which still needs a rework content-wise) and template boxes, I also started working on a new skin based on Vector, and I am thinking about ideas for a new logo. Currently I've set one of the earliest logos of the german MarioWiki, the 1-Up shroom based on the Wikipedia logo, but I think it is time for a completely new logo.
For the skin, I'm thinking about something like this:
mariowikiskintestzpjsl.png

But I am still searching for better background ideas, just a generic wallpaper is a bit boring ;)

And our board's skin was also updated not long ago, altough it is still a red and white skin based on Odyssey. Do you like it? ^^

Semako said:
Okay, so I need to hook up my Ubuntu notebook to the LAN and start shoveling the gigabytes from one server to the other, right? ^^
Ubuntu supports question marks so that would be a good bet. You could see if you have options to only filter those broken images to save some time. Good luck!

Aside from the few broken image links, the össt problems should now be solved, and the wiki is running smoothly and stable.

Today I also translated (only locally, I don't have time to get into Translatewiki stuff right now, due to a big, important examn next week) and installed a WYSIWYG editor extension (tinyMCE) to make our Wiki more beginner-friendly :)

Now, we need to write articles, finish the rework of our main page and the skin and make it great again ;)

Oh yeah, and I need to create a new user page for my account :D

Of course there is, on https://mariocastle.it. It has the least amount of articles of the three independent MarioWiki, but seems to have pretty decent article quality.

The German MarioWiki has already gotten almost 100 new articles since its "relaunch" at the end of January, including three articles to Super Mario Odyssey kingdoms (https://mariowiki.net/wiki/Forstland - I will complete the moon list tomorrow, https://mariowiki.net/wiki/Cityland and https://mariowiki.net/wiki/Wüstenland), and my goal is to have an article like this for every kingdom - which, for sure will take quite some time...
Another important project for me is to rework our help section to better introduce new users to the wiki, right now it is really lacking, there isn't even an overwiev of project sites...

Semako said:
Borp said:
Long John Spaghetti said:
Why can't there be an Italian MarioWiki?

Even if there wasn't... what's stopping you from making one? :yoshi:

But please, please don't start it on FANDOOM ;)

Exactly why I wouldn't make one.

Back