Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I just watched the Direct after isolating myself from the Internet all day.

That said, IMO it started weak for me as Incineroar, while cool, deconfirmed the Grinch leak which had a lot more characters including Geno. Several were shown later as assist trophies. But it picked up towards the end, seeing characters like Mouser, Wart, Tatanga, and especially Antasma, Geno and Shadow Queen as spirits, well... lifted mine. (I'd agree that spirits probably don't deconfirm a possible DLC character so Geno's still in the running). Though the idea of the Shadow Queen being something your goal is to rescue is hilariously amusing. The mode looks fucking AMAZING though. Piranha Plant... well it was unexpected. I'd have preferred Petey as the full character though tbh. If they can shrink Ridley they can shrink him. I don't think this one gave the effect the first DLC reveal should've though. Still hoping Geno is one of the DLC characters.

As for the leak, all I can say is this: you're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

Lucario said:
Actually she floats like Peach

Treehouse footage confirms it. And sadlt, her final smash is also like Peach's but with Daisies.
Oh really? Darn! :(

Now that I'm awake; Ken looks good, I didn't like Incineroar before and that hasn't changed, Piranha Plant is nuts and it took until seeing it's final smash before I even realised it wasn't a joke.

I do think this was just the 'we blew most of our load, here's what's left over' direct, sticker mode didn't really need so much time. 20 minutes had passed and I just had it on in the background at that point. I do like the gimmick battles for each sticker though and World of Light looks good.

I'm not bummed about the grinch leak being fake, but I would really like to see how that was created. The power play would be to never reveal how. I do question why piranha plant, were those curves too good to pass up or was he just easy to make in a short time frame. I wonder how that meeting went.

They probably should have swapped the reveals of this direct and the previous one for the most hype but it is what it is, they're all in the game irregardless of what order they were revealed in.

DLC will be interesting to see.

Kirby of the Stars said:
Someone tell me...has Nightmare been shown to return yet? I'm getting contradictory results from Smash Wiki.

It was shown in the Assist Trophy blurb this Direct, so yes. Ironic Assist Trophies are still here, but not regular trophies....

Trophies are a lot of work for little gain.
Yeah that direct was something. I think part of it's our own fault cause we threw ourselves into a frenzy over the Grinch leak.
I don't really care about Ken but the Pokemon looks fun to play as.
The changes to onlinevare interesting I think it's better but I'm not sure.
The world of light already looks better then subspace emmisary.
And finally pirahna plant is great and I will take no opposition.

I've been listening to the song on loop for the past 3 hours or so now.

Trophies are about satisfaction, knowledge, potential interest-gaining in other franchises, and just being able to look at characters and other elements from all angles, figuratively and literally.

Case in point, without the trophies in Brawl, I probably wouldn't have gotten into the Zelda and Pokemon games like I did. And I'd consider that to be quite the gain.

Incineroar and Ken are yawnworthy additions for me.

Piranha Plant makes be both happy and upset. Upset that characters like Bandana Dee and others being ignored for what is essentially a meme fighter, but at the same time now people don't have to be like "ackshually he's just a normal enemy" when Bandana Dee is brought.

I just really want them to complete the main Kirby gang, dammit. Literally no reason not to when they're fine with including more Fire Emblem characters and series like Metroid now having more fighters than Kirby.

Tbh, this is probably the weakest smash in general in terms of hype for me. King K. Rool and Ridley were so good, but everything has been kind of ranging to "meh" to "why?", especially with the trophies now being taken out too.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
I still need to play any Kirby game beyond Epic Yarn, parents haven't bought me any....he's still that dude from Megaton Punch level 1, why can't the spiky Iron Mam from level 3 get some ascended role?
He was ascended to be Dedede's number 2. Supposedly, according to a NintendoDREAm interview, he was picked because HAL wanted to make Waddle Dees more prominent in the series.

Moldomré said:
Piranha Plant is the fighter I never knew I wanted.

The World of Light is...insane. Although I'm not a fan of music with lyrics in video games.
I'd love to have more music with lyrics in video games but this rendition of Smash Bros. theme is so corny lol. God it's so tryhard. The more I listen to it I'm shaking my head and chuckling. I can't help it.

I didn't get Rayman or Toad but Piranha Plant somewhat makes up for it. I like it when they completely just bring stuff like this out of nowhere.

The worst part of the direct is how they're offering Season Passes. Just... no. I groaned out loud at them.

I wonder who is the singer for the song, "Lifelight". Makes me wonder what it'll sound like if they got symphonic bands like Nightwish or Krypteria (and their lead singers) to cover it, now that'll sound really really badass.

The song is incredibly corny though, lol. I can't take it seriously when I hear the Smash Bros. theme playing in it. You know, the game series where I can make a plant bite through a farting fat man's ass while an electric mouse zaps a giant purple dragon.

Overall, I think the theme is really good, probably up there on my favorite Smash themes, and more Nintendo games need a singer singing their songs. If it reminds me of symphonic metal, it's a pass in my book. I think it could use a lot more instrumentation in the background, but I'm too spoiled by music I normally listen to, so it's a bit unfair to judge it.

fyi there's a new Pokemon song on the site, along with what I think is the complete lineup of items/assists/Pokemon. I'll post a full list of everything later

also I think the sprout was a Smash original after all lol

the only chance Zelda has of a getting a new rep is with the Deku Baba being an echo fighter of the piranha plant

I can't speak for the english versions, but supposedly, the singer of Japanese verison of Lifelight is the same one from the Japanese Kirby anime intro.

They should get a singer for all supported languages so I can hear Lifelight in glorious Russian.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
No wait, they should get the English singer of the Kirby anime theme to sing it, that'd be hilarious XD
Lifelight as a jazz number would be interesting, at least.

It could work, if they replaced the instruments in them with the ones used in Jump Up, Superstar as if it was a MiDi.

I personally love the current theme (and it's certainly an improvement over the Brawl theme).

I'd like to note that while people likened the Echo Fighters to basically being mod hack characters before, the spirit system takes that to the absolute extreme, complete with tenuous color coordination and random items to distract from the fact that this isn't really that character.

I keep saying this but mod hacks in general just laugh at this every time the devs bring up how spirits or Miis are a good replacement stand-in for your most wanted when they don't even look or act the part.

Maybe Baby Luigi acting as Ness fighting against Mr. Krabs acting as Wario isn't exactly what I wanted for but hey, it jacked up the hours I spent playing Smash Bros. to a ludicrous degree so at least it's doing SOMETHING right unlike Mii Fighters or this new spirit system which is just pictures of them plastered on the screen (something I can mod in easily anyway)

Back