XFL (old and new)

Super Mario

Goomba
Who's ready for the new XFL? It was announced for 2020, so there's plenty of time for it to live up to Vince MacMahon's 2020 vision. If you haven't heard you can find some information about it on the official twitter account, @xfl2020.

Nothing is 100% fleshed out about it so far but I think these are the major points:
- Not like the old XFL (no WWE involvement for one)
- Simpler rules
- Shorter games
- Spring season
- League owned teams, no franchises
- No Politics
- No Criminals

The last two points I think are pretty ridiculous, but having another football league could be great at giving existing players leverage for negotiations as well as encourage the NFL to change and evolve. I'm not big into Football but I recently watched the ESPN 30-for-30 documentaries on the USFL and the original XFL and they're both really interesting, highly recommend them if you have the time to check them out.

Also Rod "He Hate Me" Smart is a legend. Vince wanted the original XFL to allow the players to have more personality but nobody really understood it and the only one to really take advantage of that was Rod Smart. Unfortunatley it doesn't seem like the new XFL will build on this concept but we can look back on this legendary video and admire it.

I'm excited to see what happens with this new XFL. How about you?

It's a nice idea on paper. But no guarantees it will work. Sure, the NFL has had it's problems as of late. But I'm not so sure enough that a competing league will have much success. The NFL is still by far the most popular major sports league in the US despite the many issues that have come up as late.

The best case scenario for the new XFL is that it becomes an option for undrafted players to prove their stuff and/or becomes somewhat of a minor league for the NFL similar to the AHL is for the NHL or the Minor League/Triple-AAA for the MLB.

But I think McMahon is too prideful to even consider that possibility. And either way the Football probably isn't going to be much in quality (Mostly because most of the quality football players will still be in the NFL). I won't be surprised if the first year every single team does stuff in games that would make this year's Cleveland Browns blush from the incompetence shown during a game.

Back