Category:Deceased People lists Galileo next to Gunpei Yokoi, and that's weird.

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
My proposal (MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive_47#Decide_if_the_Mario.27s_Time_Machine_historical_figures_are_characters_and.2For_people) about the historical figures in Mario's Time Machine operated partially on the assumption that those characters and the characters in the live-action segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! were roughly equal in status. I don't necessarily have a problem with the live-action characters and the edutainment characters getting the same treatment, but I think something's off about both of them being touted at the same level as the actual developers and staff who work behind-the-scenes. This has led to Category:Deceased People, for example, lumping all of them together; thus, the "G" section lists Galileo Galilei, George Washington Carver, and Gunpei Yokoi right next to each other. As much as The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 talked about the "real world" just being anything on Earth, there's an obvious difference between everything that happens within the media and everything within our living, breathing world. There has to be something that distinguishes between fictionalized versions of people that appear within the franchise and real people who contributed to the franchise without appearing within it, right?

I want to charge forward with a proposal and make all of the necessary changes, but I don't know how to go about it. Because this problem isn't just restricted to the categories: it's also tied to Japan being linked to in every section discussing game releases when the page only covers its in-media appearance within NES Open Tournament Golf, and Nintendo New York (a genuinely real brick-and-mortar store) being funnelled into the same categories as locations that only appear in the games and cartoons, and the general use of the term "real world" used in reference to the fictional Earth of the franchise (Mario#The_Super_Mario_Bros._Super_Show.21), the real-life Earth that we all live on (Metro Kingdom), or even subjects that have nothing to do with Earth (Princess_Peach#Mario_.26_Luigi:_Dream_Team). There isn't a one-and-done solution to this, or at the very least, there isn't one that can be executed quickly without ignoring some part of the problem. However, we can start chipping away at the issue, bit by bit, until we can come up with a solution that revolves all of this.

Hobbes said:
Is Deceased People even an useful category?
It was created as a byproduct of this proposal (Category_talk:Deceased#Split_Category_from_Mario_characters_and_real_people), as previously, Gunpei Yokoi was listed next to Grandma Mario, which is more obviously dumb. There may be a case for deleting it (though that'd require a proposal unto itself), but that wouldn't solve the underlying problem; the historical figures and SMBSS characters would just move to Category:People.

Back