Identifying a character from a history video game

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
Thomas_Jefferson_MTMDX.png
Thomas_Jefferson_MTMSNES.png

These are the founding fathers of the United States of America. One of these people is definitely Thomas Jefferson. I'm just not particularly sure who's who. Does anyone happen to be good at identifying historical figures from pixely screenshots?

Using the power of the original image as a source, and an image of Thomas Jefferson himself as a reference (I just used Wikipedia, really), I can make a reasonable assumption that the guy on the left end of the table in both images is Thomas Jefferson.

Official_Presidential_portrait_of_Thomas_Jefferson_%28by_Rembrandt_Peale%2C_1800%29.jpg

Declaration_of_Independence_%281819%29%2C_by_John_Trumbull.jpg

Using similar imagery, Jefferson appears to be the one holding the paper. He appears visually similar to the guy on the far left of the table in the SNES (PC?) image, and can guess he's the guy also on the far left of the NES image (or maybe he's the one signing the paper in the NES image, hard to tell).

Fun Fact: I'm related to one of the founding fathers, but that's about all I know. My parents know more, maybe I'll update later :P

Thank you very much for the help. I'm also having trouble identifying someone else, but in this case I don't even know who he is.

Yc3jpLY.png

Mario is speaking to someone who claims to be the King of England in London circa 1831. He does not provide his name at any point. He is attending Michael Faraday's Christmas Lectures aimed specifically at young people. He is also a big fan of Faraday, so much so that he is more interested in becoming a scientist than being the king. With this information, it should be really easy to find out who this is, but everything I've looked up has given me squat.

In 1831, the reigning king was William IV of the United Kingdom, who was 66 at the time. The previous king, George IV of the United Kingdom was already dead in 1830. Besides George, William IV's only brother (according to Wikipedia) was Ernest Augustus, King of Hanover, who was 60 in 1831. None of William's children seem young enough to be applicable, either. Attacking the problem from a different angle doesn't work: trying to cross-reference "King of England" and "Michael Faraday", or even "King of England" and "scientist", has given me no relevant results, no matter how I phrase it. I've even tried going through this family tree and hoping for that best, and that's still given me nobody who's even close enough to be the person in the game.

I mean, this is from a game that's supposed to be educational, so I don't think they would just make up something like this. For as much crap as I've given the game, nothing has ever been as esoteric as this, so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'll provide the full transcript of the conversation under the spoiler, if that might help, but I genuinely have no leads.

Mario: You look pretty young. What are you doing here?

King: I’m waiting for the “Christmas Juvenile Lecture” on science that Mr. Faraday gives every year. His very first talk was on the chemical history of a candle. I got here early to get a good seat!

Mario: Gee! You really like science that much?

King: I do when Mr. Faraday talks about it. Everybody loves his lectures! He also gives Friday evening talks for adults. Charles Dickens publishes them in his magazines. Even royalty shows up sometimes!

Mario: Wow! This Mr. Faraday sounds like a popular guy!

King: You’ve never heard him speak, sir? Please, take this extra lecture ticket. He’s very well-spoken, even though he never went beyond the first few years of school! His family was too poor to send him.

Mario: Too poor to go to school?

King: When Michael Faraday was born in 1791, his father was a poor blacksmith. Michael had to leave school to make money. He worked as a clerk for a bookbinder, who later made him an apprentice.

Mario: What got him interested in science?

King: He read a lot of the books he made. He was binding the “Encyclopedia Britannica”, and saw a section on electricity that really sparked his interest! So he began teaching himself about it.

Mario: That’s amazing! So he taught himself everything?

King: Oh, yes, he is mainly self-educated! But, speaking of books, I seem to have misplaced mine, “Conversations on Chemistry,” about the work of another famous scientist, Humphrey Davy.

Mario: Here, book.

King: Thanks, Mario, sir! Mr. Faraday says this book changed his life. Humphrey Davy was his hero, just as Mr. Faraday is mine! Sir Davy hired him as his assistant. Perhaps one day my hero will hire me!

Mario: Is Mr. Faraday considered a success?

King: Oh, yes! He has published many reports about his work in science and has many awards! But he doesn’t know math, so he writes up his discoveries in plain language instead of equations.

Mario: So Michael Faraday inspired you to study science?

King: I was going to be the King of England, but after learning about Mr. Faraday I’ve changed my mind. Being a scientist is so much fun!

Mario: Can you tell me anything more?

King: No. I’m sorry, but I don’t want to miss the lecture.

I asked a history guru friend of mine, and he said "William's legitimate children were all dead before 1831. He was King until 1837 when his Niece Victoria then took the throne." He doesn't know of anybody young and male from the description you gave. And I don't see any potential heirs here from that time period.

That's along the lines of what I expected, but I sincerely appreciate the confirmation nonetheless. The question remains as to why the developers included this fictitious detail in an educational game, but I don't think I'll ever get an answer for that.

Back